The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

Axl clearly liked Silkworms - it was one of the first new songs played live back in the NuGuns era. So all that is happening here is Axl is releasing art he likes. I don't have an issue with that at all. Better that than never releasing it.

And there's some seriously flawed logic going on here - we have no clue how many more vocal recordings there are. Just because Absurb is an old vocal take doesn't mean the only vocals available are 20 years old and / or what's leaked, that's just insane logic.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

Axl clearly liked Silkworms - it was one of the first new songs played live back in the NuGuns era. So all that is happening here is Axl is releasing art he likes. I don't have an issue with that at all. Better that than never releasing it.

And there's some seriously flawed logic going on here - we have no clue how many more vocal recordings there are. Just because Absurb is an old vocal take doesn't mean the only vocals available are 20 years old and / or what's leaked, that's just insane logic.

Like I said, either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

Silkworms was picked as a single because it required no more work from Rose IMO.

My ideal scenario would be a "new" album with Slaxl + Duff, and at some point in the future the vault is opened, maybe via some mega CD anniversary boxset, and we get all the Bucket / Finck demos with whatever vocals there are. This is the absolute perfect scenario for me.

As a second choice I'd be happy with a hybrid CD2 reworked with Slash + Duff, as that is clearly better than nothing.

9 minutes ago, Pele said:

Haha, 3 & 13 days then.  I'd suggest those days are likely the only thing he's done apart from the 99/00 sessions apart from Rock the Rock.

They likely yielded The General, Shacklers, Scrpaed (?), This I Love remix and some throwaway lines from Elvis Soulmoster (which is probably where the Blood in the Water line comes from).

Maybe Light My Fire if that was true.

Like I said, these are the confirmed sessions. There may have been more, for example in 2002 or 2003, for all we know. If that engineer at Palm Studios hadn't spoken, we wouldn't have known about the 13-day session in late 2006-early 2007.

Axl said in 2014 that CD2 was recorded. I'm convinced that there are at least an album's worth songs with vocals.

If you allow me, I'm under the impression that your totally pessimistic theory, which is based on nothing else than the release of Absurd/Silkworms, is more the result of a coping mechanism than a cool-headed filtering of the information available.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Like I said, these are the confirmed sessions. There may have been more, for example in 2002 or 2003, for all we know. If that engineer at Palm Studios hadn't spoken, we wouldn't have known about the 13-day session in late 2006-early 2007.

Axl said in 2014 that CD2 was recorded. I'm convinced that there are at least an album's worth songs with vocals.

If you allow me, I'm under the impression that your totally pessimistic theory, which is based on nothing else than the release of Absurd/Silkworms, is more the result of a coping mechanism than a cool-headed filtering of the information available.

How could you be anything other than pessimistic.

One album in 25 years from a guy who absolutely refuses to release music or communicate in any way with his fanbase.

His parts on that one album came almost exclusively from some sessions he did in his late thirties a decade prior.

He FINALLY releases 'new' music and it turns out it's from the very same sessions.

This album you speak of is HardSkool, Silkworms, OMG, Atlas, Perhaps, State of Grace, Quick Song, Eye on You and The General - in various states of completion. 

8 minutes ago, ToonGuns said:

My ideal scenario would be a "new" album with Slaxl + Duff, and at some point in the future the vault is opened, maybe via some mega CD anniversary boxset, and we get all the Bucket / Finck demos with whatever vocals there are. This is the absolute perfect scenario for me.

As a second choice I'd be happy with a hybrid CD2 reworked with Slash + Duff, as that is clearly better than nothing.

My ideal scenario is complete closure from the CD sessions.

Songs and instrumentals from that period explored, written, recorded to their true potential and a solid collection of 12-13 songs.

Never going to happen, but I'd love it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

I don't even think he'll bother releasing an EP.

My best guess is this is the last thing he'll release, or we might get one more single (which will be 100% a song with the 99/00 vocals)

I don't think we'll get an LP.

If we do get an EP, it will contain HardSkool, Silkworms, Atlas, Perhaps and that cover of Light My Fire.  Maybe The General if vocals were in a finished state.

No offense but you're talking about something you have no idea about. None of us have a clue what's gonna happen next. We can all guess and say "this is what will happen... they're gonna do this... he won't do that" but we know sweet fuck all. 

Before they played and officially released the song I would have said you might have a point. But I think it's safe to say anything goes!

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

4 minutes ago, Gackt said:

Here's your perfect storm to create a Guns N' Roses album made for the 2020's; blend together the old sound of Axl, Slash & Duff with the Bucket, Brain & Melissa songwriting camp to create an evolved GNR that'll blow people away.  Absurd was just the beginning.

That would be an ideal next album! CD2, enhanced a bit with the current lineup, with the very best of Buckethead and Robin left on it.

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No offense but you're talking about something you have no idea about. None of us have a clue what's gonna happen next. We can all guess and say "this is what will happen... they're gonna do this... he won't do that" but we know sweet fuck all. 

Before they played and officially released the song I would have said you might have a point. But I think it's safe to say anything goes!

Why does Slash recording a solo over Silkworms make it more likely Axl Rose has written and recorded an albums worth of new material.

Of course he hasn't.

13 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That would be an ideal next album! CD2, enhanced a bit with the current lineup, with the very best of Buckethead and Robin left on it.

I'd really like that.

3 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Axl about If The World (Osaka 2009) https://streamable.com/p01eqw

Exactly.

Watch that - and them imagine his answer to any Silkworms criticism.

"Everyone says the song is shit - well duh, that's the point dummy, that's why I called it Absurd, it was all a joke"

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Pele said:

Why does Slash recording a solo over Silkworms make it more likely Axl Rose has written and recorded an albums worth of new material.

It doesn't. But it also doesn't make it less likely.

We're all assuming. Let's just wait and see what happens. Whatever happens, the past few days have been a step in the right direction.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

If state of grace or perhaps get released do you think there'll be much change to it? Those 2 imo need no work, atlas on the other hand needs a little.

Newer vocal takes. I don't like the 99 vocals on those, same reason I didn't like them on Catcher in the Rye, too much helium in his voice. I had no problem with the 99 vocals on Absurd because he's just doing a Prodigy voice on that. But I really don't want to hear 99 vocals on those two.

17 minutes ago, MrMojo said:

If state of grace or perhaps get released do you think there'll be much change to it? Those 2 imo need no work, atlas on the other hand needs a little.

I think he'd likely use the original Perhaps vocal.

State of Grace has some scratch vocal still in and needs doing properly (so I'd wager we'll never hear another version)

8 minutes ago, Basic_GnR_Fan said:

Newer vocal takes. I don't like the 99 vocals on those, same reason I didn't like them on Catcher in the Rye, too much helium in his voice. I had no problem with the 99 vocals on Absurd because he's just doing a Prodigy voice on that. But I really don't want to hear 99 vocals on those two.

And you think there will be less helium in his voice now? All evidence in live performance would suggest that the helium is worse now than it was 20 years ago. 

1 hour ago, Pele said:

His parts on that one album came almost exclusively from some sessions he did in his late thirties a decade prior.

Better, Scraped and Shackler's appear to have had all their vocals done at some point after 2002. They weren't a decade old. He did vocals again at least one time at some point between 02-08. We also know he did step in a recording studio at some point within the past few years to do that Looney Tunes song.

Just now, Axl S said:

Better, Scraped and Shackler's appear to have had all their vocals done at some point after 2002. They weren't a decade old. He did vocals again at least one time at some point between 02-08. We also know he did step in a recording studio at some point within the past few years to do that Looney Tunes song.

I know,m I said almost exclusively, as I knew Scraped and Shacklers were done later.  I forgot about Better!

I think he did pretty much everything in 99/00.  Then did a few weeks in 07/08 where he did Better, Shackers, Scraped, TIL remix, General and whatever the f*ck Blood in the Water was supposed to be (could have been a line from Elvis if we are to believe he sang that).

I'd say that's the extent of his studio work to date.

12 minutes ago, Pele said:

I think he'd likely use the original Perhaps vocal.

State of Grace has some scratch vocal still in and needs doing properly (so I'd wager we'll never hear another version)

You've got to remember that before the Village leaks you, as well as the rest of us, didn't even know that State of Grace and Perhaps existed. You also probably didn't believe that even songs the titles of which were known, like Atlas Shrugged, existed, right? And the reasoning behind it would have been that since Axl hadn't released them, they didn't exist and nothing else existed.

My point is that you can't jump into conclusions based only on what you think you know.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

You've got to remember that before the Village leaks you, as well as the rest of us, didn't even know that State of Grace and Perhaps existed. You also probably didn't believe that even songs the titles of which were known, like Atlas Shrugged, existed, right? And the reasoning behind it would have been that since Axl hadn't released them, they didn't exist and nothing else existed.

My point is that you can't jump into conclusions based only on what you think you know.

You're right, I didn't know State of Grace or Perhaps existed.

I was fairly certain 'The Vault' consisted of Chinese Democracy, maybe 3-4 more songs, and a load of instrumental demos and I believe I was completely right about that.

It's funny though.  All these 'insiders' we've had over the years and not one of them mentioned State of Grace - or knew that Checkmate was actually called 'Hard Skool'.

The article from 2003 that claimed the follow up to Chinese Democracy is already recorded and will be called "PRL" is obviously very interesting 20 years later!

I wonder what PRL means.

Edited by Pele

Just now, Blackstar said:

Bingo - totally agreed. Unless we know for fact what has/hasn’t been done (band member, producer/record label etc) then every single one of us is just guessing - we don’t know shit.

And as for vocals…..I have zero problem from when they were taken personally. I want the best take of any given vocal so if it so happens to be in the 99-01 folder then bring it on. If there are completely new compositions or his deeper voice is more suitable for other stuff then fine.

Axl has a home studio - who knows what stuff he has recorded but I’d be amazed if he had that studio built and never sang anything!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pele said:

Like I said, either you'll be right and there will be a load of new songs with full vocal, or I'll be right and we'll get HardSkool with 99 vocal and a Slash solo pasted on if we are lucky and little else.

Silkworms was picked as a single because it required no more work from Rose IMO.

Yup. I bet they have atlas and hard school ready for single release too. But no one wants to hear those vocal attempts…

Just now, Pele said:

You're right, I didn't know State of Grace or Perhaps existed.

I was fairly certain 'The Vault' consisted of Chinese Democracy, maybe 3-4 more songs, and a load of instrumental demos and I believe I was completely right about that.

It's funny though.  All these 'insiders' we've had over the years and not one of them mentioned State of Grace - or knew that Checkmate was actually called 'Hard Skool'.

The article from 2003 that claimed the follow up to Chinese Democracy is already recorded and will be called "PRL" is obviously very interesting 20 years later!

I wonder what PRL means.

Oh yes, "insiders" ... They've always been spot on :lol:

Do you have that article about PRL? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't found the actual article - or at least information about the publication and the date - anywhere.

Axl has been working on the Chinese Democracy demos for the majority of his life. Releasing this material with Slash & Duff is not a sign of laziness. It's just a sign that he doesnt to waste those songs. He wants to release his music like any other musician. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Oh yes, "insiders" ... They've always been spot on :lol:

Do you have that article about PRL? I've seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't found the actual article - or at least information about the publication and the date - anywhere.

I don't have it but I read it recently.

It didn't really have much info.  It just said something like "not only have GNR finished their long awaited album Chinese Democracy, but they have recorded the follow up, which will be released the following year and called PRL"

It also said Chinese Democracy would have a song about child abuse, which is thought to be The General.

4 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Axl has been working on the Chinese Democracy demos for the majority of his life. Releasing this material with Slash & Duff is not a sign of laziness. It's just a sign that he doesnt to waste those songs. He wants to release his music like any other musician. 

I'd totally agree if it was a song like Berlin, or Zodiac with vocals.

Silkworms with original vocals makes me thing he just handed over something that required no more work.