The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

2 minutes ago, Grayfox said:

As for Soul Mon giving results for GNR. I can’t take that one serious personally. Until a set of full words are typed in it seems more suggestive than anything. 

Same thing happened with HardSkool prior to release. If you typed ‘Hard Sc’ or ‘Hard Sk’. GnR would appear. If you typed any more letters, GnR would disappear. As we got closer to release, you could type pretty much the whole song name and GnR would show.

• Like 2

Atlas and State of Grace both show up for me on Spotify. The only reason I use Spotify is for the JRE podcast, I use Apple Music for all music. 

If it’s an algorithm thing, I’m floored that Perhaps hasn’t shown up. That would have been one of the first ones I’d have thought. 

Im in the US btw.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of the doomsday predictors who claimed that the world would end on a certain day, and then once that day came and we were all still around, claimed that actually it was a different day in the near future.

You guys just keep setting yourselves up for disappointment.

An album or EP ain’t coming. At most you’ll be lucky to get a release of Atlas with old vocals (because there are no new vocals to speak of) and that’s it. And I’m not sure why that’s even exciting - Atlas Shrugged is a terrible song. Same goes for State of Grace - what a boring slog that is.

These *might* be released the next time there are US dates to speak of. Guns is still massively popular overseas - international crowds are way more appreciative of legendary legacy acts like GnR. They don’t need to release anything to drum up interest in South America, Mexico, or Australia - that demand is already there.

The US is a bit different. The 2016/2017 run obviously needed no press because the reunion was 20 years in the making and exciting. But the 2020 run - same shows with nothing to promote - needed a boost. So they dropped two songs to show up in everybody’s news aggregator, with just about every news article naturally listing the tour dates, in order to give ticket sales a boost.

That’s what this is. This band makes money from touring, not new music. And that’s fine! Axl seems to legitimately love performing. Of course I get bored with the Setlist, but to everyone at the show, it’s probably a blast. And I’m sure the band feels the same way - it’s fun, they like their old classics, and they’re content playing them to anyone who will listen because it makes them a ton of money.

But creatively, this band is bankrupt and has been for a long time. There’s no album coming and, if there is, you’ve heard all of it already in some shape or form.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

The more people search for these songs, the more these results could come up. I believe Atlas was first, which is the outlier without any inciting event for a search, but State of Grace, The General and now Soul Monster could simply be the result of people searching them up to check.

I can't believe this because how many people can be searching up this songs 1000? If Spotify has millions and millions listeners everyday, how can 1000 people alter an algorithm?

Also if this was an algorithm, we should have cases where for example Perhaps only pops up in Germany, Soul Monster in France, State of Grace in the UK, etc. But the same song titles appear in each country. Is that possible that the algorithm was messed up in the same way in each country?

Edited by gadamer

20 minutes ago, gavgnr said:

Same thing happened with HardSkool prior to release. If you typed ‘Hard Sc’ or ‘Hard Sk’. GnR would appear. If you typed any more letters, GnR would disappear. As we got closer to release, you could type pretty much the whole song name and GnR would show.

Well that aspect is intriguing.

I’ve been around the community for nearly 20 years. So I’m not one to hold my breath. But I’d be lying if I didn’t say for once I have a different feeling about this potentially coming to fruition. When and how are the big questions. 

Honestly though, the Guns camp should capitalize on the buzz that has been created amongst the fanbase. At minimum it would help build some good will back. Their best bet would be releasing a surprise album online and then have available for purchase later physically. 

That alone would give them media buzz. Even Eminem who predictably drops a “surprise” album every year now it seems gets big buzz. 

Edit: State of Grace not appearing for me anymore in USA

Edited by Grayfox

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

If an album dropped in the next months that would be an unprecedented case of "plans changed" for the better, as in GN'R usually "plans change" for the worse. :lol:

From then on we'd never know what to expect. Anything would be possible. A free-for-all of possible outcomes. We would be thrown into the dark abyss of the unknown. The rug would be pulled out under the feet of those among us who take solace in perpetual negativity. The very fabric of reality as we knew it would come crashing down around us, leaving us naked in perpetual darkness with nothing tangible to hold on to. 

• Haha 4

I'm inclined to believe this means something is imminent.

MJs estate is releasing Thriller 40 with bonus tracks in November. The bonus disc tracklisting is being announced one song at a time. The first song they announced was Behind The Mask demo and the second song confirmed was She's Trouble.

If you type She's Trouble into Spotify it comes up with MJ and Behind The Mask (a version which was previously released on his 2010 posthumous album) as a suggested search. 

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 3

I think someone else also mentioned this, but I’ve done this same trick with our band when we’ve had pending releases, and sure enough we showed up!

This thread is giving me the same vibes I got from the 2015 reunion rumours thread after Slash and Axl made amends. CD2022 starts now!

• Like 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Spoon87 said:

Surprise album release this Friday? It will just drop and turn up in the records stores one day, no promo, no anything.

(Isn't that what we've been telling each other even since before CD dropped?)

I wonder if they could keep physical production and even an online release so discrete that our spies wouldn't make note of it? I suppose so. We had Absurd and Hard Skool months before the physical releases.

Just now, Sweersa said:

I wonder if they could keep physical production and even an online release so discrete that our spies wouldn't make note of it? I suppose so. We had Absurd and Hard Skool months before the physical releases.

I'm not sure you could physical releases secret- too many people involved, as well as distribution/shops etc, but you could do it with an online release. Plenty of people have done that before. 

To be honest though, I'd think it would be in their best interests not to do a surprise online release then a later physical one as it would be better to properly prompte and build up to a long anticipated release, especially to a traditional rock fanbase that value physical releases....but there we go! 

Just get it out there! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

I'm not sure you could physical releases secret- too many people involved, as well as distribution/shops etc, but you could do it with an online release. Plenty of people have done that before. 

To be honest though, I'd think it would be in their best interests not to do a surprise online release then a later physical one as it would be better to properly prompte and build up to a long anticipated release, especially to a traditional rock fanbase that value physical releases....but there we go! 

Just get it out there! 

I too prefer physical, but would gladly buy a high res digital download and a physical (multiple copies of each format, obviously :) ) when available.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1