The "New Album" Thread . The maybe, possibly, at some point, soon, whenever, wtf Axl thread🤞

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

His voice was sounding much thinner by the end of 2010 so I think we would've got 2011-12 vocals regardless of Axl's level of motivation, he couldn't sustain that 2010 voice for years.

As for why he stopped caring around 2011... it could be because a CD re-release was rejected, could be meds, could be any number of things. I guess one of the big things that happened was the Azoff lawsuit, Axl lost and had to play arena's that Live Nation (or whoever Azoff was associated with) owned and I think some revenue went to paying him?

Not touring on his own terms, having to pay an ex-manager, and not releasing the remixes, bonus tracks, alt artwork, CD2 or whatever... It's not exactly surprising that Axl said 'fuck it', as childish as that seems. But we'll probably never know what happened between the end of 2010 and Rio 2011.

Yeah that’s a fair point about the voice. Ultimately I wouldn’t really care if he was still releasing music. 

Ive seen the meds theory a few times. I’ve known people who take anti depressants and have very similar symptoms, such a weight gain that gives that bloated look and motivation issues, but ultimately not our business and just speculation. It felt like the wheels for the reunion started around 2011 once he was forced to do some shows, and realized GNR could be a money making machine rather than a creative vision.

3 hours ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Yeah that’s a fair point about the voice. Ultimately I wouldn’t really care if he was still releasing music. 

Ive seen the meds theory a few times. I’ve known people who take anti depressants and have very similar symptoms, such a weight gain that gives that bloated look and motivation issues, but ultimately not our business and just speculation. It felt like the wheels for the reunion started around 2011 once he was forced to do some shows, and realized GNR could be a money making machine rather than a creative vision.

17 hours ago, JimiRose said:

GNR died in 2011 at Rock in Rio. CD was released, a full tour had been completed and been (relatively) successful. all the new members had been making noise about new music. And we got that horror of a show with no new music, just estranged. It would be another 10 years almost to the day, when we finally got absurd. Everyone was so excited about that rock in rio debuting a couple new songs for the next phase of what a normal band would do. When it didn't happen, a part of the band died forever. 

As I stated previously in this forum, when you play an arena that is about to be mothballed that's a big issue. Axl was playing in the Izod Center and not the Prudential Center nor MetLife stadium at the time. MetLife and Prudential Center was just built and being heavily publicized. That speaks volumes as to where GNR was going at the time. To play at an arena that was about to be mothballed in the  second biggest media market in the United States means that GNR was about to die at that time. 

• Like 1

GNR’s model for new stuff could be the same as Van Halen’s - when they reunited they came back with A Different Kind of Truth. David Lee Roth sounds like one of Jim Henson’ a muppets at points and they lose Michael Anthony’s sunshine n’ good-times backing vocals.. but it’s mostly really good. I honestly love that album. It got criticised for having old demo ideas on it from the 70s, but any songwriter knows that every song has some recycled back catalog in there… same situ with Hard school etc. (though bit different in the sense that gNRs stuff was professionally recorded and shelved, the old VH stuff was literally rewritten from demo state, fuzzy tape recordings of rehearsals etc… maybe a few from the Gene Simmons demos)

interestingly, they ‘reunited’ (with wolfgang rather than Mikey) in 2007, and there was a 5 year wait before ADKOT (released 2012). So there’s some precedent for this weird scenario… but GNR are now at the 6 year mark so they’ve beat Van Halen.. 

14 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

His voice was sounding much thinner by the end of 2010 so I think we would've got 2011-12 vocals regardless of Axl's level of motivation, he couldn't sustain that 2010 voice for years.

As for why he stopped caring around 2011... it could be because a CD re-release was rejected, could be meds, could be any number of things. I guess one of the big things that happened was the Azoff lawsuit, Axl lost and had to play arena's that Live Nation (or whoever Azoff was associated with) owned and I think some revenue went to paying him?

Not touring on his own terms, having to pay an ex-manager, and not releasing the remixes, bonus tracks, alt artwork, CD2 or whatever... It's not exactly surprising that Axl said 'fuck it', as childish as that seems. But we'll probably never know what happened between the end of 2010 and Rio 2011.

This is the most plausible explanation. 

16 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I remember the hype on the forum for Rio, expecting something new. Nothing has really changed. 

2011 is the Gnr turning point though, Axl lost whatever creativity he had left and just thought fuck it, we're a touring nostalgia act now. Let's make some money. 

30 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I remember the hype on the forum for Rio, expecting something new. Nothing has really changed. 

2011 is the Gnr turning point though, Axl lost whatever creativity he had left and just thought fuck it, we're a touring nostalgia act now. Let's make some money. 

Considering he has ceased referencing any new album some time ago, I think that’s where Axl wants to be. Insofar as the the rest of the band go, I’m sure Axl is in a way mollycoddling them: “sure we will start working on that new album once we stop touring”…..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Considering he has ceased referencing any new album some time ago, I think that’s where Axl wants to be. Insofar as the the rest of the band go, I’m sure Axl is in a way mollycoddling them: “sure we will start working on that new album once we stop touring”…..

I can’t believe that Slash sees that happening, even for a second. Amazing. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

I thought Axl talked about new album and stuff in 2014, obviously before the reunion happened. 

I feel like that would’ve been their plan b 

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

I can’t believe that Slash sees that happening, even for a second. Amazing. 

Yeah, even if he's having conversations with Axl about it, he just needs to look at Axl is handling releasing his own material to see that even IF he got to go in with the rest of the band AND Axl recorded vocals, he would still be a long, long way off ever getting the record into the fans hands and promoting it with shows.

I believe Slash is smarter than that. I view his comments as a guy who knows people think what's happening now is pure nostalgia and nothing more, but he's dangling the carrot to keep some interest... but It's not really on the cards

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Yeah, even if he's having conversations with Axl about it, he just needs to look at Axl is handling releasing his own material to see that even IF he got to go in with the rest of the band AND Axl recorded vocals, he would still be a long, long way off ever getting the record into the fans hands and promoting it with shows.

I believe Slash is smarter than that. I view his comments as a guy who knows people think what's happening now is pure nostalgia and nothing more, but he's dangling the carrot to keep some interest... but It's not really on the cards

All you have to do is look at the last 25 years, if not the fact that right now in real-time they’re stalling on the rest of the EP stuff, that Axl just doesn’t enjoy the process of handing over and releasing music. He just doesn’t.

And I agree, Slash must know this. Saying he wants to record a proper GNR album eventually sounds better than saying the shows and whatever Chi Dem era singles Axl feels like releasing, or not, are it. Even if it’s the truth.

Edited by sofine11
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

All you have to do is look at the last 25 years, if not the fact that right now in real-time they’re stalling on the rest of the EP stuff, that Axl just doesn’t enjoy the process of handing over and releasing music. He just doesn’t.

And I agree, Slash must know this. Saying he wants to record a proper GNR album eventually sounds better than saying the shows and whatever Chi Dem era singles Axl feels like releasing, or not, are it. Even if it’s the truth.

In TB’s mind the “album” already happened. The release of HS, Absurd, Don’t Cry & You’re Crazy EP last year. 

As far as releasing more singles/EP’s go, at some point Axl will have to throw us a few bones, but that’ll probably be it for a long long while. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smokingarthur said:

In TB’s mind the “album” already happened. The release of HS, Absurd, Don’t Cry & You’re Crazy EP last year. 

As far as releasing more singles/EP’s go, at some point Axl will have to throw us a few bones, but that’ll probably be it for a long long while. 

Yep. The narrative I saw was “What’s wrong? This is the Hard Skool tour…” 

Edited by sofine11

1 hour ago, sofine11 said:

It’d be nice if they dropped something this week, if not, some time soon. As always, I tend to root for GNR despite themselves.

Anything they release will just be a bastardized version of the CD era stuff.  They made absurd and hard school worse.

I still can't believe how bad Axl vox sound on the new hard school, it sounded like he was singing via tin can and string and the guitars sound like it was a midi file.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

I think them granting interviews before the shows in Australia is probably a sign that they are aware of slower ticket sales. How do bands normally boost sales after a drop off? New album, and a "whole new show".

You never know with GNR, but as long time fans we basically expect the worst and hope the best isn't too far off what we hoped... then we move the goal posts a little to soothe our expectations🤣

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I guess that's possible, but I don't doubt that Slash actually wants to record new shit for Gn'R. He always does it with his own band. That's all he said about the matter. It's up to Axl to decide what to do with it if Slash gets the chance to record it and I think the two of them talked about what they want to do next.

if Axl has no problem with releasing HS after more than 2 decades, he should have no problem releasing an album that contains material from all eras of the band like the 1996 material , the leftovers, and some new shit as well but they probably have enough between them to record and release a strong Guns album with what they already have. Maybe make it sound fresh by using a few Slash compositions.

the problem with putting a fork in it and saying they're finished, is that despite having released only 2 very old tunes in 14 years, Axl technically still got time to release a full album and since he doesn't want to share what he wants to do, I think there's still a chance he'll do it but we have no way of knowing what the status of the band really is and even that can change.

we thought we knew what was going to happen with the leftovers after Absurd and HS were released and more or less when that was going to be released. Personally, I try to resist the urge to define what this band/Axl is capable or not capable of doing in its current incarnation cause it can change very quickly from nothing to something as long as Gn'R is still going.

it's a nostalgia act for now, and maybe it will stay that way until Gn'R is over, but my hope is that Axl doesn't want his band to end with OMG, Chinese, Absurd, HS and maybe a few more old tunes. It would be a waste cause they seem to get along just fine so I can see a scenario where Axl is just taking his sweet time and maybe will get to it eventually. 

Edited by Rovim

5 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I guess that's possible, but I don't doubt that Slash actually wants to record new shit for Gn'R. He always does it with his own band. That's all he said about the matter. It's up to Axl to decide what to do with it if Slash gets the chance to record it and I think the two of them talked about what they want to do next.

You're spot on - he does record shit with his new band.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, DK6 said:

You're spot on - he does record shit with his new band.

the point is that Slash always wants to move forward quickly, that's his natural disposition as a musician so it's not surprising that he wants to record brand new material in Gn'R as well.

Edited by Rovim

On 12/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, dally said:

Yea, Duff has a bunch of gigs whit Iggy Pop in April next year it…:popcorn:

Duff is part of Iggys new band Iggy Pop and the Losers. His bass is on all songs.

They have a new album coming out along with the touring dates in April.

Iggy is 75 and finds a way to release music and stay creative. Come on Axl....

https://music.mxdwn.com/2022/12/19/los-angeles/iggy-pop-the-losers-live-debut-in-la-w-shows-on-april-20th-24th-27th/

Edited by vloors
  • Like 4