Travelling thread

Dangelus

"Come to the Netherlands, our mountains are just over there in France" :lol:

And it's not a forest if you can see through it. 

I love the Netherland, I really do, it's a great hub for getting me to wherever I go and the lounges at Schiphol are decent, but you don't really have "nature". All I see is field after field after field broken up by canals, villages and roads and railroads. Then you have some lakes, sure, often surrounded by some trees and bushes. 

24 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

"Come to the Netherlands, our mountains are just over there in France" :lol:

And it's not a forest if you can see through it. 

I love the Netherland, I really do, it's a great hub for getting me to wherever I go and the lounges at Schiphol are decent, but you don't really have "nature". All I see is field after field after field broken up by canals, villages and roads and railroads. Then you have some lakes, sure, often surrounded by some trees and bushes. 

Clearly you don't know much about the Netherlands, and I dont blame you if you've only been to certain areas.
I live in a rural area. It's hard for me to grasp that I live in a tiny country with 17 million people, 12 million more than a huge country like Norway has, when I go out and about in my area because there is nature everywhere, believe it or not.

Of course it's not the same as in Norway where there's massive land and very few people, but that doesn't mean what we have isn't nature. I can go wander in the nearest forest near my house for hours without seeing anyone except wildlife. Since a few years we have even seen the return of the wolf for the first time since the 19th century, which I am quite excited about.

PS, the Ardennes is mostly Belgium and Luxembourg. We don't want to make Lio mad, now do we?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Of course it's not the same as in Norway where there's massive land and very few people, but that doesn't mean what we have isn't nature. I can go wander in the nearest forest near my house for hours without seeing anyone except wildlife.

Of course you can if you wander in circles. If you walk straight for a few hours you'll have to speak German :lol:

2 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Of course you can if you wander in circles. If you walk straight for a few hours you'll have to speak German :lol:

That's it... I'm never coming to Norway. 
That's one less tourist for your country's economy and it's all on you, sir.

• Haha 2

I'm going to travel to Paris during Holy Week with my eldest daughter. It absolutely had to be Paris. It seems to be THE greatest place for a ten year old girl right now.

I haven't been since 1996. And this time it won't be hanging out with a girl punk band at shabby rehearsal places. It's going to be Eiffel Tower, Louvre and strolls by the Seine. :lol:

Edited by lilacmess
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/30/2022 at 9:16 PM, lilacmess said:

I'm going to travel to Paris during Holy Week with my eldest daughter. It absolutely had to be Paris. It seems to be THE greatest place for a ten year old girl right now.

I haven't been since 1996. And this time it won't be hanging out with a girl punk band at shabby rehearsal places. It's going to be Eiffel Tower, Louvre and strolls by the Seine. :lol:

Enjoy! I did that with my daughter some years ago and we had a wonderful time. If you like that kind of thing, you could also do the Musée de la Magie, a quaint little place with magic and trompe l'oeil. I had the honour to participate in a magic trick there in front of a class of French primary school kids :lol:

And because we're fans of the film, we had a crème brûlée at Amélie Poulain's café too.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

if anybody is interested in visiting Prince Edward Island, Canada, hit me up! It's a world class tourist destination so I figured at least a few of you animals may be in the running. I'll take you to see Green Gables. Maybe I'll dress up as Anne. We'll see what happens.

4 hours ago, Jackie Moon said:

if anybody is interested in visiting Prince Edward Island, Canada, hit me up! It's a world class tourist destination so I figured at least a few of you animals may be in the running. I'll take you to see Green Gables. Maybe I'll dress up as Anne. We'll see what happens.

Visited Charlottetown a few years ago. PEI, and the north east coast of Canada in general, reminded me of my own country, Norway. 

On 1/16/2023 at 7:52 PM, lilacmess said:

Countries I've been to:

USA, Canada, Spain, France, Monaco, Switzerland, Italy, Vatican, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Serbia, Greece, Austria, Germany, Czech Republic, Hungary, Denmark, Great Britain, Sweden, Finland, Netherlands

22 so far. 

Who else loves to travel?

Me and my wife travel whenever we can. I've been to: Brazil, USA, Canada, Uruguay, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Austria, Czech Republic, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Morocco and Australia. So... 18.

I've been wanting to go to Japan for a while now but it demands some time, you can't go and stay 10 days there, you need at least 15-20 days from what I understand. And I might pass by South Korea too, so I might need a full month of vacation to go. 

Next week I'll be finally visiting Italy for skiing (but I wanna go in the summer too), and in june I'll be going to Greece and maybe Croatia, if everything goes according to plan. Any tips on those countries? Thanks!

Edited by Cosmo
  • Like 1

I love Veli Lošinj on the island Lošinj in Croatia. I often go back. Last summer I traveled Croatia extensively and it still was my favorite place. Most of what I've seen was gorgeous though.

Surprised by the beauty of the Gacka Valley near Plitvice.

Breathtakingly beautiful cities like Trogir, Dubrovnik and Split.

Krk City was quite nice too. Nice beaches and a lovley old town. Rab also.

Italy I know much less. Rome is a beautiful city. Stunning. Florence is beautiful too.

I really like Grado a small town at the Adriatic Sea in the north east of Italy. Nice beaches. Medieval city center.

I've been to some Greek Islands, but Samothrake has made the biggest impression. Wild, beautiful nature. Far east. You can't go there by plane. You have to take a ferry.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/23/2023 at 11:07 AM, Cosmo said:

Me and my wife travel whenever we can. I've been to: Brazil, USA, Canada, Uruguay, France, England, Ireland, Spain, Austria, Czech Republic, Iceland, Netherlands, Belgium, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia, Morocco and Australia. So... 18.

Visiting Italy in two weeks, Switzerland in April and Greece in June. No Japan this year.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, grouse said:

Not to start a whole United States vs being in Europe debate here but I often wonder what it feels like to not ever leave your own country that would feel so alien to me in a way. I'm honestly intrigued by that question.

Because the USA is so vast, going to a different state would be a big deal. They have some states that are bigger than some European countries 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, janrichmond said:

Because the USA is so vast, going to a different state would be a big deal. They have some states that are bigger than some European countries 

I realise that however is there no sense to leave the country and to go out and explore the world? 

2 hours ago, grouse said:

I realise that however is there no sense to leave the country and to go out and explore the world? 

I don't think that is necessary very different from how people feel in other countries, and in Europe. But there is a difference, it is often more expensive and time-consuming for Americans to travel abroad (except to Canada and Mexico), for us Europeans it is often just a case of a train trip and we are in a new country. If you like in, like, south Germany you can easily travel to a handful of countries within a day.

• Like 1

As someone who has lived in both the US and in Europe, it's a whole different thing. Travelling through the different states in the US does have it's cultural and social contrats, especially if you go to vastly different regions, but one thing that happens in Europe is that these micro, tiny countries can be completely different from one another in every way. It's pretty awesome to travel. In South America, it was a much bigger deal to travel abroad. I used to do it, at most, once a year. Now if I get a single off day from work, I can do it. I love it. And man, these plane tickets... I got one from Ryan Air Paris to Dublin for 45 Euros lol

Something that I failed to take into account was how much vacation days you actually get in the United States, could have thought of that before asking the question of course. I googled it and found out you basically only get a handful if any per year. Is this still the case today?

If the answer to that question is yes please feel free to ignore my earlier question, in that case I totally get why so relatively few Americans are crossing the pond, I wouldnt feel inclined to stick my ass in a plane for a good solid number of hours if my vacation time was that scarce. 

Edited by grouse