Will Guns cancel the 2020 shows due to COVID-19? Update: tour has been paused

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

what if they just focus on completing a record while shit is still hitting the fan and wait it out so they can then do a proper release, one that I think is a little bit more plausible is another possible scenario.

That would work unless there's more bands doing the same (The Killers are about to release something too, I guess). The point was to release new music now because people will stay at home anyways, and YouTube and Spotify will be their main entertainment venue.

48 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

That would work unless there's more bands doing the same (The Killers are about to release something too, I guess). The point was to release new music now because people will stay at home anyways, and YouTube and Spotify will be their main entertainment venue.

that won't work from a financial standpoint as the entire goal (other than artistic reasons) is to make money by touring in support of a new record. How much money can they make from a "stay at home" release? not as much as touring generates.

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

That would be the right thing to do, unless a new album is already complete and we just don’t know about it yet.

it's possible but my opinion is that it's unlikely they've already completed an album with all the touring they've done and just little things Slash said in interviews.

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

that won't work from a financial standpoint as the entire goal (other than artistic reasons) is to make money by touring in support of a new record. How much money can they make from a "staying at home" release? not as much as touring generates.

They would eventually reschedule the tour. The problem is getting real big right now, but it wont last forever. It doesnt matter when they release a new record, tho. People buy tickets to watch SCOM and November Rain. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Voodoochild said:

They would eventually reschedule the tour. The problem is getting real big right now, but it wont last forever. It doesnt matter when they release a new record, tho. People buy tickets to watch SCOM and November Rain. 

there is no doubt in my mind they'll reschedule and yeah, casuals mainly buy tickets to experience the old hits but the shows aren't selling as well anymore and an album is a good excuse to go on tour again. They need to take a break from touring anyway to increase demand but I suppose you're right in that it doesn't really matter when they'll release another record from a financial standpoint.

1 minute ago, Rovim said:

there is no doubt in my mind they'll reschedule and yeah, casuals mainly buy tickets to experience the old hits but the shows aren't selling as well anymore and an album is a good excuse to go on tour again. They need to take a break from touring anyway to increase demand but I suppose you're right in that it doesn't really matter when they'll release another record from a financial standpoint.

I think you're right too. They should stop the endless tour for a while. Let it breath, make people actually miss it.

Just now, Blackstar said:

The Rolling Stone article that was posted a few pages back is very informative about the complications of the cancellations and the business/legal shit involved (insurances, etc.)

I suspect that the terms in GnR's contract with Live Nation may be stricter in this regard because of the band's history of cancellations (and that's why Axl performed with a broken foot or when he was sick and no show was postponed) so the "penalty" may be too high if they cancel themselves.

This time is different, with an external reason. Legally, I'm sure the band could overcome their initial contract within reason.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

God, just cancel the tour already! The world will go on without hearing ISE->Brownstone->CD...and a 20 minute rendition of KOHD, just follow suit with literally every other band and mass gathering and postpone it! :facepalm:

The goverments are cancelling for them....don't worry.

7 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

This time is different, with an external reason. Legally, I'm sure the band could overcome their initial contract within reason.

Yeah, this is what logic says. But maybe dealing with a colossus like LN could be complicated.

According to the RS article, insurance companies won't cover the cancellations unless there's specific prediction in the contract about the coronavirus (which doesn't apply to the majority of the tours, as they were booked a long time ago). And I guess LN won't want to cover the cost either.

12 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The Rolling Stone article that was posted a few pages back is very informative about the complications of the cancellations and the business/legal shit involved (insurances, etc.)

I suspect that the terms in GnR's contract with Live Nation may be stricter than average in this regard because of the band's history of cancellations (and that's why Axl performed with a broken foot or when he was sick and no show was postponed) so the "penalty" may be too high if they cancel themselves.

Most likely this.

As far as album wishes, don’t see it happening. There’s no real incentive for either GNR or UMG. It won’t sell (people are worried about other expenses) and it does nothing to promote any other endeavor (since people aren’t buying concert tickets right now) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Have they landed yet? Pretty sure they would’ve already landed in Mexico, at this point. They’ll likely fly back home tomorrow, tho, at this rate.

I have no idea; probably.  

Just my sad attempt at some COVID-19 humour.