Fernando now claiming COVID “prevented Guns from releasing new material”

On 20.5.2020 at 4:42 PM, Alejandro GNR said:

It must be pretty hard to find some consistent playing by Slash and singing by Axl...

I’ve been listening to lots of Slash live footage from the last 10 years and he has somehow lost what made him unique.

He’s ALWAYS rushing now.

Listen to his live performances of Wicked Stone...that amazing last solo. Well, live, its melody is completely lost in noodles that dont even fit the song.

Have you been to his latest tour? The performance of Wicked Stone was a definitive highlight of the show. Absolutely awesome.

• Like 3

I'd recommend people give the 'mindshower.ai' site setup to promote the new 'the 1975' album to see that bombastic album rollout can certainly still be a thing (even during lockdown).

I do realise they have differing demographics but again I just couldn't imagine TB being behind such a rollout.

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Have you been to his latest tour? The performance of Wicked Stone was a definitive highlight of the show. Absolutely awesome.

No I havent, I've watched the Live 2019 proshot and I truly feel the Slash I ABSOLUTELY LOVE (Paris 1992 DTJ, Godfather, solo prior to KOHD, etc) is somehow gone.

I still LOVE his playing in studio, as if someone tells him "slow the fuck down" hahaha I dont know. Its all a matter of taste.

I know all past times are remembered as if they were better that the actual ones, but just compare Slash's KOHD from Skin n Bones, and watch the actual ones; or DTJ...TO MY EARS he's always rushing...

I still want to hear what he can bring to GnR studio recordings because he's my favourite guitar player EVER. But I needed to say this hahaha

3 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

No I havent, I've watched the Live 2019 proshot and I truly feel the Slash I ABSOLUTELY LOVE (Paris 1992 DTJ, Godfather, solo prior to KOHD, etc) is somehow gone.

I still LOVE his playing in studio, as if someone tells him "slow the fuck down" hahaha I dont know. Its all a matter of taste.

I know all past times are remembered as if they were better that the actual ones, but just compare Slash's KOHD from Skin n Bones, and watch the actual ones; or DTJ...TO MY EARS he's always rushing...

I still want to hear what he can bring to GnR studio recordings because he's my favourite guitar player EVER. But I needed to say this hahaha

I do somewhat agree.

Slash is currently a much better technical player but is waaayyy sloppier when it comes to the musicality of his guitar work (he leans on the dreaded 'noodling' a bit too much),

He just needs to chill and cut out some of the fluff.

His guitar work on 'the one you loved is gone' shows he can still be the Slash of old. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GNR_RNR said:

I do somewhat agree.

Slash is currently a much better technical player but is waaayyy sloppier when it comes to the musicality of his guitar work (he leans on the dreaded 'noodling' a bit too much),

He just needs to chill and cut out some of the fluff.

His guitar work on 'the one you loved is gone' shows he can still be the Slash of old. 

Yes, but the live versions of TOYLIG also fails to reach the level of melody and emotion the recorded track has. 

That's a perfect example of what Im saying

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

My favourite Slash solo in recent years is the one on Too Far Gone. That is the Slash of Use Your Illusion. No excess wankery, no noodling. Just a straightforward, melodic solo that is right to the point. I'd agree that his live improvising these days leans too much on the noodling.

Killer song, wish they had played it live more.

21 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Killer song, wish they had played it live more.

It's honestly my favourite track off of World on Fire. I know songs like Shadow Life and Wicked Stone are probably "better" songs, but Too Far Gone just hit me the same way the Illusions did for the first time.

• Like 2

On 5/19/2020 at 7:50 PM, gnr5 said:

I think Fernando saying that Covid prevented them from new music is because they wanted to tie it to the tour. Probably they were going to release Hardschool as a single at least.

But man, if this was true, the GNR fanbase is the fanbase with the worst luck in the history of music. They've had 12 years of opportunities to release new music, four years since the reunion and JUST when they're about to release new music covid hits. 

Imagine how Liverpool fans feel..waiting 30 years for a league title

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I don't disagree that his playing has changed, that's no secret. But to me there's still magic. Even onstage. But then again, I'm one of these who loved the 30min Rocket Queen, so what do I know. I loved his first renditions of TIL, his last renditions of TWAT. His Godfather has changed a lot and it went from awesome to awesome in my opinion. 

Another example is his guitar solo from the Tokyo dvd. I haven't watched them in a very long time, so I can't recall which exactly it was. I think it's before the drum solo where he's just shredding and using the voicebox. His current solo is so much better than that IMO. I never was a fan of the 90's KOHD or the 90's Patience but I agree that DTJ, while still great, remains unreached.

9 hours ago, James Bond said:

My favourite Slash solo in recent years is the one on Too Far Gone. That is the Slash of Use Your Illusion. No excess wankery, no noodling. Just a straightforward, melodic solo that is right to the point. I'd agree that his live improvising these days leans too much on the noodling.

I felt similar when I first heard the Too Far Gone solo. But it's not his only solo in recent years that he's come up with, reminding me the UYI time. Halo, Read Between The Lines, or one of the bonus tracks of his solo album with this japanese guy coming to my mind.

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

I felt similar when I first heard the Too Far Gone solo. But it's not his only solo in recent years that he's come up with, reminding me the UYI time. Halo, Read Between The Lines, or one of the bonus tracks of his solo album with this japanese guy coming to my mind.

The first note on Too Far Gone’s solo is just brutal, simply perfect.

GREAT SOLO

• GNFNR 1

On 5/21/2020 at 6:57 PM, James Bond said:

It's honestly my favourite track off of World on Fire. I know songs like Shadow Life and Wicked Stone are probably "better" songs, but Too Far Gone just hit me the same way the Illusions did for the first time.

Great song. Great melody. Band is tight. Song has punch!

Definitely a throwback to the Illusion era.

On 2020-05-21 at 10:46 PM, Alejandro GNR said:

On 5/21/2020 at 3:28 AM, jamillos said:

They'll probably tell you they couldn't have gotten in the studio though (wanting to do it the old way and not completely remotely via the internet), because they weren't allowed to congregate...

Which would be ridiculous.....Axl has a studio in his house and in "Beta's Barn" in Brazil.....Slash has one in his house too

1 hour ago, yourcrazy said:

What a great time to finish up an album.  No commitments and all the time and money anyone could ask for.  Of course, this may make sense and GnR would never thing about doing that.  

I don't know about that.  It takes a lot of people to get an album together.  With the covid restrictions can they do that?  GNR has been supporting their crew while they have been unable to work and they had laid out all that cash to get a tour rolling that was stopped before the money started rolling in.

Then again, I believe the album was just about ready to drop before all this happen.  It's all about timing and album support at this point and none of that is going to happen until the industry can figure out how they are going to make money in the new normal.

It's hard to know how to play a hand when you've never played the game before.  Hard to gamble your available money away when there's so little of it and bills have to be paid.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cineater said:

It's hard to know how to play a hand when you've never played the game before.  Hard to gamble your available money away when there's so little of it and bills have to be paid.

Didn't they make Appetite for like $100k? And it was their best album. This isn't a money problem, it's lack of motivation and inspiration. 

10 minutes ago, Janabis said:

Didn't they make Appetite for like $100k? And it was their best album. This isn't a money problem, it's lack of motivation and inspiration. 

It’s not that simple. They get an advance on what they sell or now stream.  Generally the longer you’re under contract, the higher that number gets for each album. It’s all pre determined in the contract. That of course can be renegotiated 

It’s up to both the band and the label to determine what maximizes their odds of not only recouping that cost but to maximize its revenue. Other artists have released stuff during this time. However that doesn’t mean there’s the same risk involved, or that they view a Guns album in the same light on how it would perform comparatively 

On 5/21/2020 at 2:46 AM, GnR Chris said:

All of this is so goddamn GNR. Their Nightrain forum would be a perfect place to have AMAs with band members or management. But instead it's a barren wasteland. A second version of GNR Truth, with Mojo creating and moderating all the posts as if he's an actual moderator.

TB is so delusional it's absolutely ridiculous.

Seriously? Mojo posts to himself on the Nightrain forum too?!

• Haha 1