09/16/21 - Chicago, IL - Wrigley Field

alfierose

The professionalism from Axl here is outstanding. While I was frustrated yesterday with the lack of hard school and anniversary of illusions being mentioned, this statement came 24 hours later, seems plausible based on the odd rush through absurd and not calling it a new song. They probably did discuss it and Axl said nope let’s just get it over with (it as in the show) 

much more professional now, close to 3 hours still, and did a great job (aside from better). Major props to him for delivering 

however Milwaukee better be ridiculous now lol

• Like 3

18 hours ago, EvanG said:

But they play deep cuts too. As a big act you will always disappoint someone with the setlist. The majority wants to hear the greatest hits, and the minority doesn't need to hear them and prefers the deep cuts, so who are you going to disappoint? Most acts choose to please the majority. Personally I'd rather hear deep cuts than the big hits, but I'm the minority and it's understandable that they go for the greatest hits setlist. It would be best to have a good mix of hits and deep cuts, but for a band with only a few records, they have a lot of hits that people want to hear.

It's possible to do both - I think GnR do the major hits and deep cuts thing quite well. what they dont do well is the lack of new music in the setlist, the lack of deep cut rotation (we had coma for 4 years every show) and then a bit of the bloatedness (to be fair, this isnt as bad as it used to be) Coma/Locomotive/PTU/TWAT etc 1 of each should be at each show. then you have your staples and your new music. KISS are very rigid in their setlist, but they aren't musically relevant so new stuff doesnt matter, plus their pyrotechnics and stage show is so incredible, they probably cant mix it up much. But GnR def can. I don't agree with people who expect GnR to change every show for the youtubers/streamers. But asking them to mix it up between tours is defintely not asking much and having seen NITL 3 times, it is literally exactly the same as before. Minus pyro and confetti. and it costs more. That's letting me down a bit. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

The sickness announcement surprises me. I could not tell at all and I was on the rail. I thought he did an excellent job and sounded good on just about every song.

Same. Being three live, I thought he sounded pretty fuckin’ great all show. It’d be a total bummer if they truly were gonna play Hardschool till he felt sick. If that’s true, I get it too. You wanna be on top of your game to debut a new song cause it’ll get picked up by ever major media outlet. 

Didn't get a chance to post my thoughts after the gig as I've been a bit tied up with my family I'm visiting while in town, but I have to say for as critical as I was after the Hershey gig, I'm honestly really glad I gave them another go this year. I said I'd need to see longer setlists, better performances, and new music before I would even consider going to see them again - all three of which they delivered on within a handful of gigs after Hershey. 

Was it a perfect gig, or one of the absolute best GN'R gigs I've seen? No. But it was a lot of fun, and well worth the cost of a cheaper pit ticket. It was fun to be in the pit again I'll admit, only the second gig I've done so with this lineup. The setlist was good - seeing Slash play on Silkworms/Absurd of all songs still blows my mind, and I loved seeing Wichita Lineman finally. A bit bummed that Maddy got dropped as I was really looking forward to seeing that one again after a decade. The band was tight and having fun, as was Axl. He had some genius moments of rasp, and some songs that he's hot and cold with came off really well, like Estranged. There's a few songs that were still really rough but all songs that he has been struggling with historically - namely Better, YCBM, and Nightrain. 

Very happy I went and relieved that I can somewhat write Hershey off as a fluke. I on't exactly feel I need to be in a rush to go again, but I thoroughly enjoyed it and it was my favorite GN'R gig I've seen since Detroit 2016. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

Listened to Better and it's kind of funny. When Axl sings it lower, it actually doesn't sound bad. I realize it was unintentional and he was compensating, but I think it proves that some of the harder songs would actually benefit from a slightly different arrangement where he sings low like that the whole time. It would sound cool. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, James Bond said:

Listened to Better and it's kind of funny. When Axl sings it lower, it actually doesn't sound bad. I realize it was unintentional and he was compensating, but I think it proves that some of the harder songs would actually benefit from a slightly different arrangement where he sings low like that the whole time. It would sound cool. 

I felt the exact same way. The only reason it sounded bad to me was because you could tell it was unintentional. I’d love it if he sang YCBM and Better in this way. As is, they’re low points in the show. Better can sound “okay” once in a while, YCBM is embarassing.

• Like 2

He shouldn't have been roughed up unless he was getting physical with them...but, if he has a 'lifetime ban' from shows, he's gambling by just being there. Also, why in the world would go close enough for band management/security to see him? If you're lucky enough to get in the door, go to the nosebleeds and stay out away from anyone who would care that you're there. It's an idiotic move all around. 

5 hours ago, GoBucky said:

He shouldn't have been roughed up unless he was getting physical with them...but, if he has a 'lifetime ban' from shows, he's gambling by just being there. Also, why in the world would go close enough for band management/security to see him? If you're lucky enough to get in the door, go to the nosebleeds and stay out away from anyone who would care that you're there. It's an idiotic move all around. 

I bet someone else at the show saw him there and tipped off TB. Would've been better to stay in the back with the casuals who don't know who he is.

1 hour ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Yea he doesn't seem to be the smartest guy and will do anything to create some attention for himself. Overall a very sorry personality

An idiot all around