When did Dizzy come into the equation?

4 hours ago, johnnybebad said:

I'm a guitar player and I guarantee that Melissa is not "making guitars sound thicker." What does that even mean?

She's dancing, singing some backing vocals and adding a keyboard line here and there. Otherwise, she's triggering samples that could easily be done by a computer without a human flailing about on stage (not that they're even needed...) There is definitely not a single person at a concert that would miss her contributions or lack thereof. 

She is there because Axl wants her there and this is the Axl Rose show. 

Dizzy I could understand. The Illusions had a lot of piano parts, so it made sense that they needed someone else rather than having Axl sitting behind a piano all night. But then we got Teddy as well....?!

Many bands hide backing musicians behind a curtain. Guns N' Roses puts it all on stage. No trickery. Why do you have a problem with Dizzy and Melissa being there? Obviously they provide something.

Edit: And obviously you are wrong about "thickening" guitar parts. Someone else already quoted the article discussing what Melissa does on stage with GNR.

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, johnnybebad said:

I'm a guitar player and I guarantee that Melissa is not "making guitars sound thicker." What does that even mean?

She's dancing, singing some backing vocals and adding a keyboard line here and there. Otherwise, she's triggering samples that could easily be done by a computer without a human flailing about on stage (not that they're even needed...) There is definitely not a single person at a concert that would miss her contributions or lack thereof. 

Dizzy I could understand. The Illusions had a lot of piano parts, so it made sense that they needed someone else rather than having Axl sitting behind a piano all night. But then we got Teddy as well....?!

Melissa is there to prove how woke this version of gnr is. 

7 hours ago, Original said:

Do Dizzy and Melissa bring anything to the table?  Literally not needed.  Axl could cover any keyboard/piano that Dizzy does.  I'm clueless as to Melissa's worth.

Dizzy brings something to the table.. Melissa no... At least nothing good..  

• Haha 1

Dizzy's earned his spot. Not an original band member but been there longer than anyone besides Axl. Was the link that connected classic GNR to Nu GNR. Whether it's keys or percussion he always just does his thing solidly in the background. He must have the diplomacy and patience of a saint to have stuck with Axl for so long.

Think Dizzy's loyal to Axl cos Axl gave him a break when he was about to be basically homeless. Repays loyalty with loyalty. 

• GNFNR 2

3 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Dizzy's earned his spot. Not an original band member but been there longer than anyone besides Axl. Was the link that connected classic GNR to Nu GNR. Whether it's keys or percussion he always just does his thing solidly in the background. He must have the diplomacy and patience of a saint to have stuck with Axl for so long.

Think Dizzy's loyal to Axl cos Axl gave him a break when he was about to be basically homeless. Repays loyalty with loyalty. 

Not knocking the dude but the reason he's been there 30 plus years now is because he doesn't rock the boat. The reason there was a Nu GnR in the first place is because Slash, Duff, and Matt had some backbone and were tired of doing absolutely nothing for 3 years with Axl. 

• Like 1

It wasn't even just Slash/Matt/Duff either. Those first few lineups of new Guns from 97-00 mostly left once they realized the album wasn't close to being done and there were no plans to tour. It would've been cool to see Josh Freese play live. Dizzy seemed content working on keyboard loops and working with Paul Tobias.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Many bands hide backing musicians behind a curtain. Guns N' Roses puts it all on stage. No trickery. Why do you have a problem with Dizzy and Melissa being there? Obviously they provide something.

Edit: And obviously you are wrong about "thickening" guitar parts. Someone else already quoted the article discussing what Melissa does on stage with GNR.

I really appreciate that GnR does everything live honestly rather than have someone on the side of the stage with a laptop.  Melissa is cool in my book!

• Like 1

Just now, Bitchisback said:

I really appreciate that GnR does everything live honestly rather than have someone on the side of the stage with a laptop.  Melissa is cool in my book!

Slipknot literally had one of their founding members Donnie Steele hidden backstage when he rejoined after Paul Gray died which sounds so douchey.

14 hours ago, Blackstar said:

On the UYI albums you could say that Dizzy was not needed. He has some writing credits on CD though. He's needed on tour for playing the piano parts, so that Axl can be the frontman without having to sit on the piano for many songs.

Melissa's role is adding effects, making guitars sound thicker, playing backing tracks, etc. Most bands have someone for these things, they just have them hidden behind the stage.

Exactly!

Saw the chili peppers at a smaller venue a few years back and could see 2 guys on keyboards out the back.

Remember specifically seeing a guy playing along to the chorus guitar line on Tell Me Baby.

GnR just have this person out on stage.

• Like 3

That's the great thing about keyboards and synthesizers and samplers. You can create any sound you want with them. 

I wonder if she used some of Pitman's presets and samples or if she had to recreate them on her own. Because that would have to be a LOT of work. 

Edited by Sosso

1 hour ago, DK6 said:

Exactly!

Saw the chili peppers at a smaller venue a few years back and could see 2 guys on keyboards out the back.

Remember specifically seeing a guy playing along to the chorus guitar line on Tell Me Baby.

It doesn't surprise me that people don't know what Melissa does up there but what blows my mind is once it's explained to them they still think that she isn't doing anything.  Like you said if Melissa wasn't up on stage playing along there would be somebody off stage doing the same thing. And I really appreciate that GnR actually has her ON stage doing it.  Hell a lot of bands just use prerecorded samples played off a macbook.  GnR actually has someone up there playing along, giving am authentic live experience, thickening the sound.  That's really cool in my book

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

It doesn't surprise me that people don't know what Melissa does up there but what blows my mind is once it's explained to them they still think that she isn't doing anything.  Like you said if Melissa wasn't up on stage playing along there would be somebody off stage doing the same thing. And I really appreciate that GnR actually has her ON stage doing it.  Hell a lot of bands just use prerecorded samples played off a macbook.  GnR actually has someone up there playing along, giving am authentic live experience, thickening the sound.  That's really cool in my book

Hmmm but GNR didn't start out with 2 keyboardist and sounded better for it! Sure I appreciate that when it comes to the Illusions and CD, keyboards are more prominent and at least somebody else is required to fill in those gaps. But I'll be honest, Dizzy on bongos and Melissa on shakers during Brownstone is fucking unnecessary! 

8 hours ago, Sosso said:

Isn't it funny that Melissa gets praised for something that Pitman has done 10 years ago. I mean, "thickening the Sound though guitar and Sub-Bass layers" wasnt new when she joined the band. 

What's your point? Pitman added all this unnecessary fuckery to some of the songs when I saw Guns live back then. I prefer Melissa, and also her backing vocals. Pitman's backing vocals were not good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sosso said:

Isn't it funny that Melissa gets praised for something that Pitman has done 10 years ago. I mean, "thickening the Sound though guitar and Sub-Bass layers" wasnt new when she joined the band. 

Melissa doesn't come off as an asshole. I guarantee if you met her she'd be polite, Pitman on the other hand really believed he was the shit. His backing vocals weren't fantastic either.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DK6 said:

Exactly!

So do the Chili Peppers. They make no secret of having a backing musician who plays keyboards on a few songs and he isn't offstage either.

1 hour ago, EvanG said:

So do the Chili Peppers. They make no secret of having a backing musician who plays keyboards on a few songs and he isn't offstage either.

They have him on stage for the songs that obviously contain keyboard - like dark necessities. 

There was another bloke behind stage for tell me baby and some other songs.

Also there is a difference between being onstage and being considered a member of the band.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 1:13 AM, johnnybebad said:

Like I told my dentist the other day "I'm a guitar player and I guarantee you I don't need a filling"

How does being a guitar player make you an expert on keyboards??

What was your guarantee by the way considering Melissa is quoted as sying she is "thickening the guitar sounds"?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DK6 said:

Like I told my dentist the other day "I'm a guitar player and I guarantee you I don't need a filling"

How does being a guitar player make you an expert on keyboards??

What was your guarantee by the way considering Melissa is quoted as sying she is "thickening the guitar sounds"?

I guess the poster was trying to say as a guitar player they couldn't hear what She was doing with the guitar sound. What I'll say is, she isn't going to be playing the guitar parts for every song all the way through! she probably just doubles a part here and there I don't think she's about to pull out a keytar and take over Slash solos. Given the last few weeks maybe I shouldn't say anything so definite though😅

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I guess the poster was trying to say as a guitar player they couldn't hear what She was doing with the guitar sound. What I'll say is, she isn't going to be playing the guitar parts for every song all the way through! she probably just doubles a part here and there I don't think she's about to pull out a keytar and take over Slash solos. Given the last few weeks maybe I shouldn't say anything so definite though😅

I definitely wouldn't rule out the keytar.....

As you say what she is doing is very subtle - but I think that's the whole idea!