Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

On 10/15/2021 at 9:44 PM, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

The news said Texas numbers of covid cases are going down. Still not trusting it yet. We still have fall and winter and the holidays to get through. 

With Texas back to opening everything and sports arenas being back to full capacity and the Fair happening this year, I still don't think things will stay down for long.

I just hope that the kids's covid vaccines are approved soon, so I can feel my daughter will be protected and my parents can get their booster shot.

Most doctors are agreeing this covid virus will be like the flu and we will need a yearly shot to stay protect. I'm all for that.

Sorry to hear about that guy killing people with a bow and arrow. Crazy people are everywhere. 

Good news about covid though.

Stay safe.

Well honestly, I wouldn't want to be taken care of any nurse or doctor who was not vaccinated against covid or any other disease. They should know better after the deaths from last year.

Millions of people are vaccinated so get the vaccine and keep your job.

Are you on some kind of payroll? I'm joking of course.

But you absolutely should be. 

Got back from Texas late Sunday night and what an odd trip it was. 

Prior to the trip, we were reminded roughly 7000 times from our company that there's a strict mask mandate in Texas, so we would be expected to where a mask the whole time. 

First up: the flight. Prior to the pandemic, I used to fly an average of 3 times a week but I haven't been on a plane since the pandemic started and I switched jobs. 

I knew you had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane, which is fine but I was seriously worried some asshole would fuck up and cause issues. Thankfully everyone just complied and our flights to and from were uneventful. 

Everywhere we went (rental car pick up, restaurants, work office, hotel, a concert, etc) all had signs on the doors saying masks are mandatory but literally no one inside was wearing a mask. 

The funniest part of the whole thing for me was at the office. Everyone did wear their masks inside the office but then, as soon as anyone went outside, they'd stand like 2 feet apart with their masks off. 

To be clear, I'm not anti mask and I'm also vaccinated. I don't care if anyone else is anti mask or anti vax. You do you. However, it's just annoying to constantly wonder what exactly I'm supposed to be doing to follow the rules.

I just had to laugh that the rules for the office seemed to be:

Talking to someone 2 feet away INSIDE the giant atrium? Mask. 

Talking to someone 2 feet away just OUTSIDE the giant atrium? No mask. 

Then walking in businesses like hotels and restaurants, seeing big "you must wear a mask" signs, only to see literally no one working inside wearing masks was irritating. Again, I'm not taking a side on masks, I'm just saying it was irriatitng to not know what to do. 

In any case, I'm back home now and I work from home so I'll just continue to wait this whole thing out and see what happens. 

Numbers are rising again here, which was to be expected, but with winter not even having started, it doesn't look too promising even though almost 70% of the population has been fully vaccinated.

I read just now that Morocco is suspending flights from and to my country, Germany and the UK starting tomorrow.

3 hours ago, Sisyphus said:

Please explain to your children how you took a stance for the "new normality" and gave up your civil rights so that they can live with a QR code in their pocket and mandatory booster shots while breathing into a moist mask. For your benefit. For your safety.

Have I given up any civil rights? Don't think so. And we don't wear masks here in Norway anymore or have any other restrictions...because the vaccination program worked. And if we need booster shots to keep not having restrictions, then I am all for it. 

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Got back from Texas late Sunday night and what an odd trip it was. 

Prior to the trip, we were reminded roughly 7000 times from our company that there's a strict mask mandate in Texas, so we would be expected to where a mask the whole time. 

First up: the flight. Prior to the pandemic, I used to fly an average of 3 times a week but I haven't been on a plane since the pandemic started and I switched jobs. 

I knew you had to wear a mask at the airport and on the plane, which is fine but I was seriously worried some asshole would fuck up and cause issues. Thankfully everyone just complied and our flights to and from were uneventful. 

Everywhere we went (rental car pick up, restaurants, work office, hotel, a concert, etc) all had signs on the doors saying masks are mandatory but literally no one inside was wearing a mask. 

The funniest part of the whole thing for me was at the office. Everyone did wear their masks inside the office but then, as soon as anyone went outside, they'd stand like 2 feet apart with their masks off. 

To be clear, I'm not anti mask and I'm also vaccinated. I don't care if anyone else is anti mask or anti vax. You do you. However, it's just annoying to constantly wonder what exactly I'm supposed to be doing to follow the rules.

I just had to laugh that the rules for the office seemed to be:

Talking to someone 2 feet away INSIDE the giant atrium? Mask. 

Talking to someone 2 feet away just OUTSIDE the giant atrium? No mask. 

Then walking in businesses like hotels and restaurants, seeing big "you must wear a mask" signs, only to see literally no one working inside wearing masks was irritating. Again, I'm not taking a side on masks, I'm just saying it was irriatitng to not know what to do. 

In any case, I'm back home now and I work from home so I'll just continue to wait this whole thing out and see what happens. 

Told you Texas doesn't comply with any covid rules. most places say wear a mask, but if you don't, no one enforces it. Texans don't like to confront anyone about anything.

I live here, but continue to wear masks everyone inside and outside. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since covid and still don't.

When my family and I saw KISS on October 1, the venue sent me an email saying Masks "are strongly encouraged" I can count on one hand who wore a mask. I wore a mask the whole time. There were little kids under 12 dressed as Kiss members, looking very cool, but no masks on them.

I ate outside at a table, but wore the mask the whole time.

Numbers seem to be up again. Kids are getting sick now. I pray that my doctor will get the covid vaccine for my daughter soon. She's 10. 

It's funny because Texas was one of the first states, to shut down last year and then re-opened shortly after. Gov. Abbott is a moron and doesn't  give a shit about anyone who lives here. Thank goodness school district are requiring masks for the kids and protecting them all the ways they can.

I'm glad you did what you felt was best for yourself, but not surprised about your visit to Texas went this way.

Glad you are okay. Now you know if you return to Texas, you know what to do because most people think covid is long gone. They are wrong.

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Have I given up any civil rights? Don't think so. And we don't wear masks here in Norway anymore or have any other restrictions...because the vaccination program worked. And if we need booster shots to keep not having restrictions, then I am all for it. 

So glad for Norway. Wish people in the US would comply and get vaccinated and wear masks, but it's not the case. I figure I will wear a mask forever and stay out of places where masks aren't worn. 

Most doctors agree covid will be here for our lifetimes like the flu, so I will wear a mask and try to keep safe as well as my family and friends.

20 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Just to follow-up on this:

The trend is very clear: countries with low vaccination coverage is struggling with Covid while those with high vaccination coverage is returning to normal.

uten_117.png

I find is slightly absurd that people will complain about having to get vaccinated and also complain about restrictions. Vaccines are the way OUT OF the restrictions. Whining about vaccines instead of just manning up and getting the shot makes no sense. Unless you happen to enjoy the restrictions, though.

• Haha 1

A lot of people who don't get vaccinated decided not to do it because they aren't sure if the vaccines are safe and sadly there are doctors out there who agree with them. A lot of them say that they will get vaccinated in a few years when they know there are no possible long-term side effects.

We have an 80% vaccination here in Flanders. We must be one of the top regions in the world regarding vaccination. Numbers are on the rise again though, and we're apparently in the 4th wave now. I don't really care if someone has the symptoms of a cold. What I want to know is which people end up in hospital and which vaccine they got. That seems like important information we're not getting at the moment.

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The trend is very clear: countries with low vaccination coverage is struggling with Covid while those with high vaccination coverage is returning to normal.

they must be dropping dead in africa all over the place then.

oh, wait...

https://www.afro.who.int/news/fifteen-african-countries-hit-10-covid-19-vaccination-goal

"Half of the 52 African countries that have received COVID-19 vaccines have fully vaccinated just 2% or less of their populations"

"COVID-19 case numbers in Africa dropped by 35% to just over 74 000 in the week to 26 September. "

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, action said:

they must be dropping dead in africa all over the place then.

oh, wait...

https://www.afro.who.int/news/fifteen-african-countries-hit-10-covid-19-vaccination-goal

"Half of the 52 African countries that have received COVID-19 vaccines have fully vaccinated just 2% or less of their populations"

"COVID-19 case numbers in Africa dropped by 35% to just over 74 000 in the week to 26 September. "

So... you don't believe the vaccines work?

I'm not vaccinated.

I chose to build natural immunity. It works for the good people in africa, and it works for me. I'm in good health, should you be wondering.

you won't hear from me that the vaccines don't work, because I am in no position to say so. I'm sure there are a lot more knowledgeable people to say more about that.

the example of africa shows that there are other strategies to combat the virus, namely: natural immunity. 

• Like 1

there is not a single country, in the whole world, that has issued an obligation to the population to be vaccinated.

therefore, there is a choice. people can chose wether to be vaccinated or not.

and if the choice "not" to be vaccinated, proves to be such a huge problem, then the government should put their money where their mouth is, and issue an obligation.

why does that not happen?

and what is the expert's stance on natural immunity?

30 minutes ago, action said:

I believe in natural immunity 

as for the vaccines, I'll leave that to the experts

I know you're anti-vax, but even within that group there are different reasons. Some don't believe they work, others simply don't care because they are likely not to get sick anyway because they are young and healthy and are too selfish to do it to protect the vulnerable, and others are concerned about long-term effects and don't believe the experts who say it's safe. I was curious which group you belong to.

4 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I know you're anti-vax, but even within that group there are different reasons. Some don't believe they work, others simply don't care because they are likely not to get sick anyway because they are young and healthy and are too selfish to do it to protect the vulnerable, and others are concerned about long-term effects and don't believe the experts who say it's safe. I was curious which group you belong to.

I don't have a particular stance "against" vaccines other than "we'll talk again in 5 years", it's rather that I make the positive choice to opt for a different approach

nature has gifted us with this amazing thing called killer blood cells, that give us protection against all sorts of disease, all for free

Edited by action
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, action said:

I don't have a particular stance "against" vaccines other than "we'll talk again in 5 years", it's rather that I make the positive choice to opt for a different approach

nature has gifted us with this amazing thing called killer blood cells, that give us protection against all sorts of disease, all for free

But you don't care that you might infect someone who is part of the risk group and ends up getting really sick from it, or even worse, just because you couldn't be bothered to get vaccinated?

Just now, EvanG said:

But you don't care that you might infect someone who is part of the risk group and ends up getting really sick from it, or even worse, just because you couldn't be bothered to get vaccinated?

vaccinated people still pose a risk to infect other people. Wether I am altruistic or not, really has no relevance to anything

How do vaccinated people spread Delta? What the science says (nature.com)

Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people. This means that despite the protection offered by vaccines, a proportion of vaccinated people can pass on Delta, possibly aiding its rise.

• Like 1

Just now, action said:

vaccinated people still pose a risk to infect other people. Wether I am altruistic or not, really has no relevance to anything

How do vaccinated people spread Delta? What the science says (nature.com)

Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people. This means that despite the protection offered by vaccines, a proportion of vaccinated people can pass on Delta, possibly aiding its rise.

Well, it kinda does because it's fact that there's a much smaller chance of spreading the virus if you've been vaccinated. I hope for your sake this doesn't happen because you don't want to have to live with something like that.

Just now, EvanG said:

Well, it kinda does because it's fact that there's a much smaller chance of spreading the virus if you've been vaccinated. I hope for your sake this doesn't happen because you don't want to have to live with something like that.

you can infect other people too

• Like 1