Covid-19 Thread

adamsapple

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

True, but again, I have less chance of doing so than you, right?

don't ask me, I'm no expert. I can only repeat my earlier source;

How do vaccinated people spread Delta? What the science says (nature.com)

Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people. This means that despite the protection offered by vaccines, a proportion of vaccinated people can pass on Delta, possibly aiding its rise.

• Like 1

Just now, action said:

don't ask me, I'm no expert. I can only repeat my earlier source;

How do vaccinated people spread Delta? What the science says (nature.com)

Data from COVID-19 tests in the United States, the United Kingdom and Singapore are showing that vaccinated people who become infected with Delta SARS-CoV-2 can carry as much virus in their nose as do unvaccinated people. This means that despite the protection offered by vaccines, a proportion of vaccinated people can pass on Delta, possibly aiding its rise.

And I can only repeat what I said, you are more likely to spread the virus than someone who is vaccinated.

Look, my folks are elderly. I'd hate to think that I infect them because I couldn't be bothered to get vaccinated. You might say that this is a small chance, but it already happened once in my family. Earlier this year my cousin visited his parents, and infected both of them. His father didn't survive it. It this had happened a few months later and my cousin had been vaccinated, it probably wouldn't have happened.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

And I can only repeat what I said, you are more likely to spread the virus than someone who is vaccinated.

Look, my folks are elderly. I'd hate to think that I infect them because I couldn't be bothered to get vaccinated. You might say that this is a small chance, but it already happened once in my family. Earlier this year my cousin visited his parents, and infected both of them. His father didn't survive it. It this had happened a few months later and my cousin had been vaccinated, it probably wouldn't have happened.

ok, I agree that, possibly, you pose less of a risk of infecting others, than me.

but, people can be vaccinated if they wish so, for free.

if we agree that vaccines work, then even when I infect other people, there should not be a problem, wouldn't you agree?

the only people I put at risk, are people who themselves refused to be vaccinated. but then, these people (including myself), should take the consequences

A distant cousin of mine just notified the family that her husband (late 60s/ealry 70s) is now brain dead due to a covid-19 infection and the family is in the midst of getting his affairs in order before taking him off life support.

He was fully vaccinated and caught it from one of his unvaccinated teammates on his hockey team (who was younger but still required being hospitalized).

Unfortunately many anti-vaxxed individuals refuse to think of vaccines like seatbelts or drinking an driving laws.

They have no ability or willingness to consider the concept of probability.

Had my cousin’s husband played with fully vaccinated teammates and opponents he would more likely not have caught the virus and hence wouldn’t be brain dead.

Again, probability seems like too difficulty of a concept for some. 

Just now, action said:

the only people I put at risk, are people who themselves refused to be vaccinated. but then, these people (including myself), should take the consequences

That's not entirely true because my uncle had been vaccinated a few weeks prior to getting infected. Even when you're vaccinated there's a risk of still getting really sick from it. And unfortunately even a small chance of dying from it.

7 minutes ago, EvanG said:

That's not entirely true because my uncle had been vaccinated a few weeks prior to getting infected. Even when you're vaccinated there's a risk of still getting really sick from it. And unfortunately even a small chance of dying from it.

I have my own examples of vaccinated people who died of covid anyway, or because of the side effects of the vaccine 

soulmonster would say: anecdotal evidence

in most cases, the vaccine works

So I don't particulary feel like a huge risk, to the general population

Edited by action
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

A distant cousin of mine just notified the family that her husband (late 60s/ealry 70s) is now brain dead due to a covid-19 infection and the family is in the midst of getting his affairs in order before taking him off life support.

He was fully vaccinated and caught it from one of his unvaccinated teammates on his hockey team (who was younger but still required being hospitalized).

Unfortunately many anti-vaxxed individuals refuse to think of vaccines like seatbelts or drinking an driving laws.

They have no ability or willingness to consider the concept of probability.

Had my cousin’s husband played with fully vaccinated teammates and opponents he would more likely not have caught the virus and hence wouldn’t be brain dead.

Again, probability seems like too difficulty of a concept for some. 

Well, I hope it was worth it for the unvax person to get sick. I really do. Because now someone is mostly dead because of that person. And since it is likely there's no afterlife that unvax person will have no consequences but to simply not exist like the rest of us.

Edited by Georgy Zhukov

2 minutes ago, action said:

I have my own examples of vaccinated people who died of covid anyway, or because of the side effects of the vaccine 

You know people who died after getting vaccinated and it was proven that they died due to side effects of the vaccine? Really?

Just now, action said:

you're a real sceptic 

I am actually. And I think it's always good to ask critical questions and not immediately believe everything you're told.

However, numbers don't lie. And when almost every expert in the world says that vaccines are safe and the only way out of this mess, then who the fuck am I to doubt that? I know shit about this stuff. I barely finished college.

1 minute ago, EvanG said:

I am actually. And I think it's always good to ask critical questions and not immediately believe everything you're told.

However, numbers don't lie. And when almost every expert in the world says that vaccines are safe and the only way out of this mess, then who the fuck am I to doubt that? I know shit about this stuff. I barely finished college.

it's no reason for shame that you barely finished college. you seem the be a student at the university of life, and I'll be the last person to ridicule that

but have you ever wondered how there are not more infections / deaths in africa, despite the very low vaccination rate?

don't you find that odd?

Just now, action said:

it's no reason for shame that you barely finished college. you seem the be a student at the university of life, and I'll be the last person to ridicule that

but have you ever wondered how there are not more infections / deaths in africa, despite the very low vaccination rate?

don't you find that odd?

I was just saying that I'm not a scientist or a doctor. Sometimes you have to believe those who are smarter than you about certain subjects. It's always funny when those who have hardly any knowledge about something, still think they know more about it than people who have actually studied this and dedicated their lives to it. 

Anyway, I don't know about Africa, it's a pretty big continent and I haven't looked into that. Maybe someone else can do that, but I'm sure there's a good explanation for it.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I was just saying that I'm not a scientist or a doctor. Sometimes you have to believe those who are smarter than you about certain subjects. It's always funny when those who have hardly any knowledge about something, still think they know more about it than people who have actually studied this and dedicated their lives to it. 

Anyway, I don't know about Africa, it's a pretty big continent and I haven't looked into that. Maybe someone else can do that, but I'm sure there's a good explanation for it.

The main hypothesis for less deaths in Africa is lower average age. It makes a lot of sense when you look at the numbers. 

• Like 1

I read on yahoo that the UK is seeing a surge again. Is this true? Damn. This virus is so unpredictable and you don't know what it'll do next?

Still wearing a mask and distancing myself and staying out of crowds.  Not sure how concert venues are going right now?

My friend is going to see MGK on Sunday and she got an email that says you need to show proof of vaccination or at least a 72 hour negative covid test.  And you have to wear a mask. I'm curious to see if this will be enforced.

I have Ghost in February and want to see how things will be then?

Numbers seems to go up and down right now, but people are still getting sick and still dying.

Flu season is coming up too. Glad we all got our flu shots. Just waiting for my daughter to be able to be vaccinated and if/when the booster shots are available.

1 hour ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

My friend is going to see MGK on Sunday and she got an email that says you need to show proof of vaccination or at least a 72 hour negative covid test.  And you have to wear a mask. I'm curious to see if this will be enforced.

When the Foo Fighters had their show here, they had this same rule and it was enforced...

So I went to the pub last night and on the way in a very nice gentleman asked to see my Covid vaccine certificate. I took my phone out, waved the pic on the screen at him then went inside for a pint and to watch the football. The end.

I'm still waiting for my freedom to drop off but as of the timing of this post it appears to be intact. Hmmmm! 

Edited by Dazey
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, marlingrl03 said:

When the Foo Fighters had their show here, they had this same rule and it was enforced...

Yeah, Maroon 5 had that rule too. They also had a 15 minute testing site in the parking lot. Most people were okay but there were a few that didn't like it because they weren't told until they got to the venue. So if you failed the covid test or wasn't vaccinated fully, you were out the ticket price plus parking plus $30 for a rapid covid test. The moral of this story is get vaccinated.

My dad got his moderna booster shot today in Walmart. My mom is getting her booster on MOnday.

Now they just have to move their asses and get the covid vaccine approved for kids 12 and under.

I wish all concerts would do this. When we went to KISS nothing was checked about a vaccine and most people didn't wear masks. I was surprised since both Paul and Gene fully vaccinated got covid anyway on this tour.

Some venues in Texas "strongly suggest" you wear a mask, but unless it's enforced no one does and no one checks.

9 hours ago, Dazey said:

So I went to the pub last night and on the way in a very nice gentleman asked to see my Covid vaccine certificate. I took my phone out, waved the pic on the screen at him then went inside for a pint and to watch the football. The end.

I'm still waiting for my freedom to drop off but as of the timing of this post it appears to be intact. Hmmmm! 

Good. Wish the morons in Texas would check people's covid cards, but so far no one does.

15 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'll give you the same vague answer I keep seeing on the internet: "that's how it starts!" 😂 

This covid thing is/was real but it's all about control now. The media are liars and this virus has a 99% survival rate. I've never been sick, never tested, I don't wear masks and I still have a job. Anyone who thinks they have a right to tell anyone what to put in their body is clearly insane. If abortions are "my body, my choice" but vaccines are not? I'd say you have a mental disability. Don't fall for it. Give up your rights on this, you'll never get them back.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, 31illusions said:

This covid thing is/was real but it's all about control now. The media are liars and this virus has a 99% survival rate. I've never been sick, never tested, I don't wear masks and I still have a job. Anyone who thinks they have a right to tell anyone what to put in their body is clearly insane. If abortions are "my body, my choice" but vaccines are not? I'd say you have a mental disability. Don't fall for it. Give up your rights on this, you'll never get them back.

Do you remember when you told us Trump was absolutely positively going to have a second term? 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 31illusions said:

- I have never seen the media say the survival rate is far away from 99%. Maybe we are watching different media?

- The government has the right to say we should get vaccinated. It is their job. Just like it is their right to say we shouldn't drink alcohol until we are 18 or that we should wear seat belts. If you don't like your government, vote for someone else. I assume you live in a democracy.

- The analogy with abortion breaks apart as soon as you realize that while abortion only affects the woman (and the fetus), the choice to not get vaccinated means the pandemic rages on which affects everybody through disease and restrictions.

- I haven't given up any rights. What rights are you talking about? And the restrictions that were imposed (and which I were in favor of), have now been lifted. So what on earth are you talking about? 

• Like 2

You're right. The news seems to always concentrate on the bad news.

One thing about Texas news, they always seem to show great stories about wonderful people who do good things for others.  it makes me smile especially when it's kids who are doing things for others. We need to look to our kids sometimes for guidance and hope. 

I check out all different news stations since they all seem to say different things. Why is that?

Anyway, I'm trying to stay safe and keep my daughter safe and not dwell too much on covid anymore. I just wish everyone would do things to stay safe and care about those around them.

people need to stop listening to all the crazy things some say and listen to their own minds and talk to their doctors about any concerns they may have. Maybe that's the problem some people don't have a doctor they trust to talk things over with. I'm lucky my family and I do.

11 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

- I have never seen the media say the survival rate is far away from 99%. Maybe we are watching different media?

- The government has the right to say we should get vaccinated. It is their job. Just like it is their right to say we shouldn't drink alcohol until we are 18 or that we should wear seat belts. If you don't like your government, vote for someone else. I assume you live in a democracy.

- The analogy with abortion breaks apart as soon as you realize that while abortion only affects the woman (and the fetus), the choice to not get vaccinated means the pandemic rages on which affects everybody through disease and restrictions.

- I haven't given up any rights. What rights are you talking about? And the restrictions that were imposed (and which I were in favor of), have now been lifted. So what on earth are you talking about? 

Yeah, tired of people screaming their rights are being taken away. It's all about safety.

We don't smoke inside anymore or planes. We wear seatbelts and every seems okay with that so what is the big deal of wearing a mask for a time when we know it helps keep us safe. My right is to stay safe and keep my family and friends safe too. that's a right we all have and need to do.

My grandparents lived through WW II. They had to do without a lot of things because of the war, but they all did it.

I think because all so used to getting everything we want at our finger tips any little change upsets a lot of people.

My parents lived through the gas shortage too and the swine flu. You need to adjust sometimes. I don't like change much either, but sometimes it's what we have to do to remain safe. People need to stop being selfish and realize what effects one effects others.

George Carlin did a who thing on "our rights" lol It hit the nail on the head. he was freaking amazing. I think about what he would say during this covid epidemic. It would make you laugh, but most important, make us think.