THOR LOVE AND THUNDER Trailer- Sweet Child O Mine Soundtrack

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

As crazy as it sounds to us, SCOM being in this trailer is getting younger people to discover GN'R. New, younger guy at work listened to it again after hearing it in the trailer. 

Exactly. A few months ago, when The Batman was released, a lot of people listened to Nirvana's "Something in the way" too

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Atlas19 said:

The 4 G N' R songs in the movie are: Sweet child, Jungle, Paradise City and November Rain.

Here's and article in spanish: https://super-ficcion.com/2022/06/thor-love-thunder-canciones-guns-n-roses-soundtrack/

That makes sense- sounds like the Director is really going for nostalgia with the classic rock and pop.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, We love Axl Rose said:

It would be nice if they added at least 1 song that most people don't know along with these 4 biggest hits of the group.

They wouldn't do that. Why would they? GnR are a legacy act with a handful of classic mega hits, and a bunch of lesser known songs so fans at their shows can hit the beer stands and restrooms.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, We love Axl Rose said:

It would be nice if they added at least 1 song that most people don't know along with these 4 biggest hits of the group.

The list of songs in the article are the songs that appear in the movie. But we don't know about the cd/vinyl soundtrack...

On 7/1/2022 at 2:49 PM, Atlas19 said:

The list of songs in the article are the songs that appear in the movie. But we don't know about the cd/vinyl soundtrack...

The Soundtrack has been released! Looks like a great selection of original pieces of new music composed for the film :):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thor:_Love_and_Thunder_(soundtrack)

It's crazy how much mileage this band gets from songs they did 30-35 years ago. It's a microcosm of the songs that most of the casual audience going to their concerts these days know. Like it sounds like gatekeeping but Guns is a band that's lived well for so long off about 8 songs.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

This honestly sums up a lot of bands.

True but most bands have their hits spread out over a period of years through different eras. Guns did pretty much everything to set their legacy in a 5 year period.

• Like 3

From the Rolling Stone interview with the director, Taika Waititi:

You’ve said you were aiming for a sort of 1980s adventure-movie feel in this one. Was that why you leaned so hard on Guns N’ Roses in the soundtrack?

Yeah, for sure. You can see some of the influences in Chris’ [alternate] Thor costume, with the singlet. That’s obviously an homage to Big Trouble in Little China, to [Kurt Russell’s] Jack Burton. I just wanted the whole thing to feel like an electric-guitar lead break. All the art and everything, it feels like an ’80s album cover. Even the title treatment — I wanted it all to feel like something I would draw on my school book in class, when I was perfecting the Metallica [logo].

Did you have to be in any negotiations with Guns N’ Roses?

At one point, the music supervisors were like, you might have to have a chat with Axl. But I was just getting scared. He’s one of the greatest icons for me.

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movies/tv-movie-features/taiki-waititi-thor-star-wars-natalie-portman-chris-hemsworth-1378020/

• Like 4

Saw it two days ago. 

This movie will bring a smile to any GNR fan.  The soundtrack is glorious!

A couple of notes:

- I believe Patience is also included, but it’s more of a short instrumental cover played near the end of the film using an instrument I couldn’t recognize.

- The best use of a GNR song in the film, in my opinion, was the outro of November Rain during the last battle scene.  Jungle is always great in films, but it’s a bit overplayed at this point.  NR’s outro fit perfectly for the scene and was something I’ve never seen or heard before. 

- There was a nice homage/reference to Axl by Natalie Portman’s character while November Rain was playing.  The direction references both the scenes of Stephanie Seymour lying in the casket but also Axl sitting up in his bed at the end of the video. 

Really enjoyed the film. If you’re a Guns fan and don’t hate superhero movies, go check it out. 

• Thanks 3

3 hours ago, downzy said:

- I believe Patience is also included, but it’s more of a short instrumental cover played near the end of the film using an instrument I couldn’t recognize.

- The best use of a GNR song in the film, in my opinion, was the outro of November Rain during the last battle scene.  Jungle is always great in films, but it’s a bit overplayed at this point.  NR’s outro fit perfectly for the scene and was something I’ve never seen or heard before. 

I was wondering if that was supposed to be Patience as well, but I don't think I saw it credited as such in the end credits.

I remember yeeeeeeeears ago reading a review from a test screening of Kick-Ass where the reviewer said they used the NR outro during Hit-Girl's fight scene and that the whole audience was clapping. I'm guessing that was just used for a temp score as it didn't end up in the final film :/

On 6/29/2022 at 7:08 AM, Sweersa said:

As crazy as it sounds to us, SCOM being in this trailer is getting younger people to discover GN'R. New, younger guy at work listened to it again after hearing it in the trailer. 

I feel like there had to be a similar effect in 2004-05 when they had Welcome to the Jungle in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, the commercial featuring it went great with the song. I'm surprised they didn't try for any UYI songs since the game is set in 1992 which is in the heart of that era.

On 6/29/2022 at 8:57 AM, Atlas19 said:

Exactly. A few months ago, when The Batman was released, a lot of people listened to Nirvana's "Something in the way" too

Metallica's MOP is getting a huge upswing in listens thanks to Stranger Things. Although old school fans of the band are mad about that.

20 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Metallica's MOP is getting a huge upswing in listens thanks to Stranger Things. Although old school fans of the band are mad about that.

I don’t see GNR getting a similar lift from this film as Metallica and Kate Bush are from Stranger Things for two reasons.

First, most of the GNR songs included in the movie are pretty well know already.  Go into any bar or sporting event and you’re going to hear some or most (with exception of November Rain).  And NR has over 1.8 billion video views on YouTube. 

Second, and this is just a guess, but the audience for Stranger Things is likely significantly larger than the new Thor film.  Hundreds of millions of people around the world are watching Stranger Things, an audience size few films short of Avatar or The Avengers can come close to.

Metallica is well known, but not its older songs. And few born after 1990 had probably ever heard of Kate Bush, let alone her song used in the show.  So different dynamic. 

• Like 3