What happened to Slash's guitar playing?

11 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Gonna say the same thing Russ did- you’ll get shit for this but I agree. Slash clearly doesn’t care for the CD material at all. It would be more respectful just not to play it. Slash has given amateur performances on these songs, a complete embarrassment and disrespect. 

DJ Ashba was a shitty guitarist but he tried to write actual solos for these songs. He showed respect to both the material and fans. Slash on CD songs makes me appreciate DJ Ashba a lot more, something that pains me to say.

Don't worry, shit I can handle ;) but it's nice to see I'm not alone with my opinion.

Would it be better to not play CD songs at all? Yes. They've been touring for more than half a decade in this lineup now, so at this point there is absolutely no excuse for Slash to butcher these songs like he does. It's as if Axl would be singing the wrong words to Slither, skipping entire lines and not even trying to hit the right notes.

Not a fan of Ashba, but he came with Axl at his vocal peak and a true guitar virtuoso like Ron, so that kinda made up for it (if you didn't look to DJ's side of the stage). Slash however is the main star and focus of attention in this show next to Axl and he is very capable to play the songs properly - he just simply refuses to do his job.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, adamsapple said:

The truth is both Slash and Axl perform way below 50% of what is possible, even taking their age into consideration.

The difference is no matter how weak Axl sounds, 99% of the time he actually does hit the right notes, in like an F will be an F regardless of it being sung in baritone or falsetto.

Slash now often plays entirely wrong notes or scales that just don't make any sense within the harmonic structure of a song.

Who are any of you guys on the internet to say that a professional musician or singer is performing at any percentage of “what is possible”? What does that even mean. We are all just making up stuff at this point. The boys are 60 years old and touring across some of the most beautiful countries in Europe in the year 2022. Let’s be happy and celebrate that while we can. It will be better for everyone, and most importantly, ourselves 

• Like 4

Something to read. Nice.

I had to see the video... i can imagine what Axl says to Slash in that solo. And lookin into what Axl showed to Fortus i can says the king is tryin to motivate or snuff the solo of Slash. 

Maybe Slash have to take the song like if was writen by himself.... but "preserving" the basics... idk.

I would love to ear the SOD solo the same way he modified the NR solos in the 90s. With feeling. Maybe its too hard to do now or something.

• Like 1

Looks to me like he didn't bother his ass learning it properly, or with limited time. It's a pretty easy solo.

Axl approaches Slash during this solo, and seems to be trying to show him when to end... which to me implies he has just learned it.

Let's see if it improves.. 

OMG why did I listen to it.... they completely butcher that song nowadays. I have no idea what Slash is doing and Axl is just whining the whole time... and sometimes just stops "singing".

Richard Fortus is the only one who actually does it any justice. Great guitar player.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, adamsapple said:

Just watched The Blues from Prague.

The worst part was when Axl walked up to Slash at the end of the guitar solo, tapping his shoulder, like "Hey listen, that part, you know? The ending of the solo, that's what I'm talking about, I love that!" and then Slash is just like "Yeah man whatever."

So that's what Axl gets for singing Coma night after night at age 60? Axl gives Slash so much respect, attention and trust and Slash just pisses all over it.

Say what you want about Axl but at least he tries. Dude is 60 years old and even though naturally not sounding as strong as he used to, at least he does make an honest effort sing the songs as good as he can. On top of that, the drummer plays a fucking 3-hour rock concert with a broken hand. Meanwhile, the lead guitarist just couldn't care less.

Slash is not "putting his own spin on these songs," he is just plain sloppy, not even trying, not giving a shit about the music. Wanna know how it sounds when someone puts his own spin on a GNR tune? Listen to Buckethead playing Nightrain. That's the gold standard Slash should at least attempt to reach within his own style. And it's the level of musicianship I expect when paying an arm and a leg for a concert ticket.

Let Richard play all the solos and have Slash just pose with his guitar not plugged in, it will be enough for the Slash fanboys to enjoy.

If he was pulling this shit off in my band I'd fire his ass and play the damn guitar solos myself. Couldn't be any worse than what he comes up with for most songs.

Someone please hand Slash a copy of Chinese Democracy with a post on it saying "Music, motherfucker. Do you speak it?"

Sad. Just sad.

You know the band is in trouble when even DJ Ashba would play a better solo than Slash.

Wow, you got every single type of reaction emoji for this post. I don't think I've seen that before. I don't know if I agree with everything you've written but well done anyway. :lol:

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

I reacted with "wow" because only that reaction was not used for your comment. :lol:

5 hours ago, alfierose said:

Wow, you got every single type of reaction emoji for this post. I don't think I've seen that before. I don't know if I agree with everything you've written but well done anyway. :lol:

:lol:

13 hours ago, Rovim said:

we're just guessing here of course, but I don't think that's it tbh. I've said this before about what Slash said in this interview: Robin's style is very different to Slash's in a lot of different areas. I don't think Slash would think something like Robin's Better solo is particularly good. Slash doesn't play like that and the solo he came up with for Better supports that imo.

I think he was just honest and it simply wasn't compelling to him. He's more of a fluid player where Robin often favors more space between the notes like a trumpet player or some shit. He was asked a question so even if he could be seen as guilty himself when it comes to "not even trying", I think he's always trying, but he's so much about the improvisation and he doesn't seem to be very interested in covering solos by other people that sometimes he doesn't quite succeed in coming up with a compelling idea on the spot like he used to, but I don't think it's projection, even stuff he seems to like by Robin is altered to accommodate his own style like the first solo in Chinese Democracy where he kept the general idea, but added many notes for example.

can you imagine Slash bringing in an idea like Robin's slow I.R.S solo? my guess is stuff like that is not even on Slash's radar as notable so can't blame him really if that's the case. You like what you like.

But it's not a matter of Slash playing note for note Robin's original solo. Is just that he could be coherent with the song, he could've come up with anything really. Even with that same solo he did - just let some notes ringing a bit more, with one of his signature bends. The thing sounded bad not just because he improvised, he used to play a lot of slow/mellow solos improvised (see Dust in the Wind back in the 90s). And it doesn't require a special ability either, he knows how to play slower when needed. His blues solos have the needed spaces between the notes. 

I imagine Slash playing something else in IRS indeed, but that was just an extended interlude based on the intro, it's more a riff/theme thing. 

Again, the bigger problem is not because he didn't follow Robin's idea, but because he played something totally out of place for the song, almost like he was trying to make it worse on purpose. 

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

“Some of the stuff I won’t do note-for-note because it doesn’t have a serious melodic significance to the song. It sounded like they were making it up...”

The problem is: Does Slash thinks his pointless noodling is doin' to the solos any serious melodic significance ?

Does Slash really listen to his shitty solos on CD material and thinks "Ow, I killed on this one!!" or "Wow, this idea is much better than the original!"

In the end Sorum claims that Slash said to him that GNR is just a gig proves to be rigtht.

To Slash GNR is just a gig  where he can uses it to promote his own endeavours like his solo band, his Gibson endorsements and his high children support and alimony to Perla

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

The problem is: Does Slash thinks his pointless noodling is doin' to the solos any serious melodic significance ?

Does Slash really listen to his shitty solos on CD material and thinks "Ow, I killed on this one!!" or "Wow, this idea is much better than the original!"

In the end Sorum claims that Slash said to him that GNR is just a gig proves to be rigtht.

To Slash GNR is just a gig  where he can uses it to promote his own endeavours like his solo band, his Gibson endorsements and his high children support and alimony to Perla

I'm sure he never listens to what he played afterwards and it does not sound like he gives it any thoughts whatsoever.

38 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

But it's not a matter of Slash playing note for note Robin's original solo. Is just that he could be coherent with the song, he could've come up with anything really. Even with that same solo he did - just let some notes ringing a bit more, with one of his signature bends. The thing sounded bad not just because he improvised, he used to play a lot of slow/mellow solos improvised (see Dust in the Wind back in the 90s). And it doesn't require a special ability either, he knows how to play slower when needed. His blues solos have the needed spaces between the notes. 

I imagine Slash playing something else in IRS indeed, but that was just an extended interlude based on the intro, it's more a riff/theme thing. 

Again, the bigger problem is not because he didn't follow Robin's idea, but because he played something totally out of place for the song, almost like he was trying to make it worse on purpose. 

but back in the 90's he was a lot more inspired plus he was drunk and high. He seems to be more comfortable when he's doing a blues type solo so not sure if this example works here.

I think if it was easy for Slash and he was truly interested in playing more lyrically like he used to do, he would have done it by now. He butchered Catcher as well so if he doesn't want to sit down and really figure out what he should play on Chinese tunes for example, what are you going to do? I think about the amount of solos Slash needs to play in every show for 3 hours and it puts things into perspective for me.

also I think that serving the song is only one goal for Slash when he's playing live and he talked about how sometimes he loses control and plays faster cause he's just too excited to slow down. I wish he did, I don't like mindless shredding personally, and I don't think it's impossible for Slash to do what you're suggesting but I don't think he will cause I'm guessing he prefers to maybe enjoy it more by doing it his way and he doesn't seem to be too concerned about shredding over a mid tempo/ballad type song.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nintari said:

Maybe he plays better off than wagon than on?

in the VR days he fell off the wagon and sounded like shit and sloppy live. In the old days when he was young and fucked up he sounded the best imo, but even if drugs and alcohol would have helped now in making Slash play better, it's still not worth it because of the risk for his health. He probably did enough drugs and drank enough alcohol for 2 lifetimes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rovim said:

in the VR days he fell off the wagon and sounded like shit and sloppy live. In the old days when he was young and fucked up he sounded the best imo, but even if drugs and alcohol would have helped now in making Slash play better, it's still not worth it because of the risk for his health. He probably did enough drugs and drank enough alcohol for 2 lifetimes.

From my own experiences, I've noticed a direct correlation between how much I'm into a song and how well I'm playing/singing. If Slash is the same way, maybe that's the explanation. Maybe he's just bored. 

Just now, Nintari said:

From my own experiences, I've noticed a direct correlation between how much I'm into a song and how well I'm playing/singing. If Slash is the same way, maybe that's the explanation. Maybe he's just bored. 

in general, it's definitely a part of why the quality of an artistic process of any kind is high imo: when you're really into it it's not the same as when you're bored obviously, but Slash loves to play live and he plays mostly what he enjoys to play. It's not like with the Conspirators, which is his baby, it sounds exponentially better compared to Gn'R but most people don't retain the same level of excitement from their 20's when they are in their late 50's and not just in music. Such is life.

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

The issue right now is that Robin Finck’s Chinese solos sounds more like Slash than Slash does on CD songs live.

Slash clearly seems to have written, inspired solos for Hard Skool and Absurd, so maybe it’s more of a matter of releasing new material, so hopefully the singles Slash was talking about eventually suffice. I have no doubt he could write something on Atlas or Perhaps he would be happy with as a studio release. 

• Like 1