What happened to Slash's guitar playing?

On 6/19/2022 at 12:21 PM, adamsapple said:

The worst part was when Axl walked up to Slash at the end of the guitar solo, tapping his shoulder, like "Hey listen, that part, you know? The ending of the solo, that's what I'm talking about, I love that!" and then Slash is just like "Yeah man whatever."

Just watched the video. What I didn't get from your post is that the part of the solo Axl seemed to enjoy was actually play by Fortus! :lol:

I listened to the 2nd night and I actually prefer Slash's part. 

Richards tone for lead guitar is not my cup of tea at all and I actually find he overplays way too much on rythm guitar and even lead. 

His solo on Nightrain is terrible. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

I don't get it. I don't think anyone would be that annoyed if he just played an entirely new solo that fits the song. If he doesn't care at all, just play whatever on rhythm and let Richard play the solo, as he does in Madagascar. 

Again, it's not about playing note for note, it's about playing something that actually fits. I wouldn't do the same because I wouldn't want to look bad (as even people unfamiliar with the song would think his solo sucked) or showing that I'm not professional about it.

Also, why should we care if the casuals give a shit or not? They don't give a shit if it's Coma or Locomotive either. Reckless Life isn't a hit either, and if they play Pretty Tied Up or not, 90% of the crowd wouldn't give a flying fuck. 

I really don't get why this is something that we, as a bunch of die-hard fans (if we post here, I think that qualify us), shouldn't care or at least give an opinion. 

Where did I say don't have an opinion? I'm saying you folks are overthinking it. Just heard the version from Warsaw, and it was good. He's improvising a lot, case closed.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Richards tone for lead guitar is not my cup of tea at all and I actually find he overplays way too much on rythm guitar and even lead. 

Ooft - hot take! I thought Fortus knocked it out the park….I guess it’s what makes music so entertaining. You get polarising opinions. 🤣

• Like 2

14 hours ago, OTHAFA said:

Judging by the reaction of the crowd during Street of Dreams, he's not the only one who doesn't care.

Stop playing these songs. There's a dozen guys on a message board who care. The audience as a collective couldn't give a single fuck about them.

11 hours ago, jamillos said:

Nothing happened to his playing, he’s just bored with playing the same stuff for six years. And he doesn’t have to follow the original Nu-GNR solos rigorously and devoutly, as these are not those huge, fundamental hits like SCOM; plus the casuals don’t give a shit anyway. 
Being in his shoes, I'd do the same. 

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Yes to all of these.

There's certain songs in the set that he seems to still enjoy, like Nightrain, Coma, stuff like that. He seems to be into the AC/DC stuff too (probably because it's something different that he likes). But like he told Matt, "it's just a gig." He plays CD songs that he otherwise doesn't care for and then gets to play stuff like Coma, DTJ, etc. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Where did I say don't have an opinion? I'm saying you folks are overthinking it. Just heard the version from Warsaw, and it was good. He's improvising a lot, case closed.

Huh, I didn't say you don't have an opinion, but that this is the place to have an opinion or "overthinking". 

And you're right, I just heard his 2nd performance in Warsaw and it was much, much better. But I recognize some licks (at the ending) from the 1st performance, maybe he does have some form of structure thought out for the song. Maybe he just got confused or forgot something on that other night. 

So yeah, it seems that a lot of what I said previously he proved me wrong. IMO, he cared about this song, he has some sort of structure for the solo and what he played was much more cohesive with the backing instrumental.

2 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

I have to agree with both points. Maybe too much compression or EQ on his tone?

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:55 PM, Voodoochild said:

I really don't get why this is something that we, as a bunch of die-hard fans (if we post here, I think that qualify us), shouldn't care or at least give an opinion.

i couldn t agree more on this, slash is on another lvl this is just lazzines, he sound bad even in Reclkess Life solo 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 2:27 AM, jamillos said:

Nothing happened to his playing, he’s just bored with playing the same stuff for six years. And he doesn’t have to follow the original Nu-GNR solos rigorously and devoutly, as these are not those huge, fundamental hits like SCOM; plus the casuals don’t give a shit anyway. 
Being in his shoes, I'd do the same. 

Exactly right.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

I listened to Slash's solo in Reckless Life from Groningen, it is outrageously bad :o

Apparently Slash, apart from CD songs, doesn't like Reckless Life either.

YouTube comment: 1:45 to 1:55, me when I used to play Guitar Hero with game pad on Hard difficulty 10 years ago 😅😅

Reckless Life - https://www.veed.io/view/512e877b-adff-4408-b8f6-5c007b407da0

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Apparently Slash, apart from CD songs, doesn't like Reckless Life either.

YouTube comment: 1:45 to 1:55, me when I used to play Guitar Hero with game pad on Hard difficulty 10 years ago 😅😅

Reckless Life - https://www.veed.io/view/512e877b-adff-4408-b8f6-5c007b407da0

Axl sounds great here and slash shit. It's either one or the other damn it

• Haha 2