Slash in new Capital One Bank commercial

29 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Plus there’s another thing – like, why a fucking bank, out of all things, for the love of god. At least a beer. Gibson guitars. Art. Sport car, anything. This is like the opposite of what they used to stand for...

It is? The band was against banks? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Another one. You don't get it. Which is shocking on a GnR fan forum. Rock N Roll, Punk, GnR literally stood for EVERYTHING banks are not. every teenage kid that is opressed because of the attitudes passed down by organisations like this. The suffering of millions as they've profited. Yes i know that slash doing this advert in real terms means absolutely fuck all, no one dies because of slash, but it's a stab in the back for everything they were supposed to stand for and the people they inspired. No GnR are not The CLash or Rage against the Machine, but they're not some manufactured piece of shit shoved down our throats by the state. Axl can destroy the legacy as much as he has and i've stood  by them. but this is criminal. If you don't get it, good, don't worry.

The only guy not “getting it” is you.

Good luck ranting and raving and trying to convince others that if their POV doesn’t match yours they are somehow in the wrong.

Talk about a losing fight.

As for the band losing your respect and fandom — BYE Felicia!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

People are giving you hell here, and even though I don’t see it as strongly as you, I basically agree with a lot of it. A brief beer commercial cameo is one thing (especially in 2014 – god knows how Axl was doing money-wise then), but this? And abusing such an iconic song for this crap on the top of that? I’m also amused by these comments like "he has a family to support". Fuck off, these guys made half a billion only for the first two years of NITL, so there’s no justification for doing this in order to support families, jeez.
Yeah, I guess once you become used to money... They’ll clearly do anything but please the fans. 

the guy said that there is a chance it would have bothered him less if Slash died. Come on now. Slash doesn't need the money, obviously but Slash really likes to get paid and did a lot of commercials in the past, so what's new here? some musicians don't do this shit because they feel it takes away from the value of their music, and others don't care. It's also their product so should they not get to choose to do with it what they please? it's also a business.

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, Rovim said:

the guy said that there is a chance it would have bothered him less if Slash died. Come on now. Slash doesn't need the money, obviously but Slash really likes to get paid and did a lot of commercials in the past, so what's new here? some musicians don't do this shit because they feel it takes away from the value of their music, and others don't care. It's also their product so should they not get to choose to do with it what they please? it's also a business.

That's why I literally said "I don’t see it as strongly as you, I basically agree with a lot of it". 

26 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

It is? The band was against banks? 

Metaforically, yes, in a way. See above. But if you don't wanna see it - I mean at least consider looking at it - that way, I can't explain it to you. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

That's why I literally said "I don’t see it as strongly as you, I basically agree with a lot of it". 

you know... the beer commercial was short, but there was nothing there. Just used Axl as a prop. At least this had a concept and I found it amusing, but fair enough.

10 hours ago, kiwiguns said:

Got over yourself.. 

The man's got a family to support.. 

Time and change in personal circumstances as you get older tends to change your outlook and priorities in life... You know, children etc.. 

If you cannot move on from the past,that's your problem to deal with... 

If you actually look beyond your own nose, you would probably see that Slash seems to have been a great supportive father... and that's exactly what a parent is supposed to be, including financially supportive.. 

Yeah you are right, a personal net worth of $100m and 2 adult children to support. It must be very tough to survive for him.

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

People are giving you hell here, and even though I don’t see it as strongly as you, I basically agree with a lot of it. A brief beer commercial cameo is one thing (especially in 2014 – god knows how Axl was doing money-wise then), but this? And abusing such an iconic song for this crap on the top of that? I’m also amused by these comments like "he has a family to support". Fuck off, these guys made half a billion only for the first two years of NITL, so there’s no justification for doing this in order to support families, jeez.
Yeah, I guess once you become used to money... They’ll clearly do anything but please the fans. 

Yep. I expect the abuse for it, most people won't get it. I do understand when people say GnR were never this anti commercial band like a rage, clash, pistols public enemy etc. But they stood for a generation of people who were. People who cannot tell the difference between a budweiser commercial, or black death vodka complete miss the point of it. Haha yep poor old slash, how on earth will he feed his 20 year old son without capital one conglomerate cash!?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jamillos said:

Yeah. It's always pathetic when a clearly well off celebrity does commercials.

1 minute ago, JimiRose said:

Yep. I expect the abuse for it, most people won't get it. I do understand when people say GnR were never this anti commercial band like a rage, clash, pistols public enemy etc. But they stood for a generation of people who were. People who cannot tell the difference between a budweiser commercial, or black death vodka complete miss the point of it. Haha yep poor old slash, how on earth will he feed his 20 year old son without capital one conglomerate cash!?

people get old, they lose some of their principals if they even had any to begin with. :shrugs: 

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

To be fair though, seeing how much money Slash has to pay Perla per month,

Oh yeah. Poor guy. Like he's the only one ever having to pay alimony. Like the alimony wasn't agreed to in accordance to whatever money he has/makes. And it's certainly not like when that agreement was made he didn't have/made less money than now. Right. :rolleyes: So really, gtho with that bullshit excuse. At least it's a commercial for a bank and not some useless sports betting site or some other shit that can bankrupt people. But still, rich people selling themselves for commercials is tacky as hell and insulting to the intelligence of fans, to think that someone would get a product, just because their favourite celebrity is whoring themselves out for it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

to think that someone would get a product, just because their favourite celebrity is whoring themselves out for it.

there's a reason why many companies/corporations hire celebrities to sell their products. This shit works well enough that they keep doing it for a long, long time now. They're not going to waste money on paying celebrities to repeatedly fail to boost sales. 

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

It isn't an excuse lmao, it is just reasoning as to why famous people may make easy money with commercials as famous people do

Yes. It is an excuse. And a tired one at that.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

there's a reason why many companies/corporations hire celebrities to sell their products. This shit works well enough that they keep doing it for a long, long time now. They're not going to waste money on paying celebrities to repeatedly fail to boost sales. 

It might work to make a brand more known, piggybacking on someone else's fame. But I doubt that many people are stupid enough to buy some shit, just because some celeb is pimping it. At least I hope people are smarter than that.

Edited by PatrickS77
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jamillos said:

Metaforically, yes, in a way. 

I don't know. They didn't do much commercials back in the day at all. I can't remember them saying ever they were opposed to it, or banks, or capitalism, or money. Some fans tend to attribute some punk anti everything attitude to them, but there is little support for this in interviews, as far as I can see. And Slash has always loved doing things for money. Nothing new. And nothing wrong, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Don't you remember their big hits "Back off bank", "since i don't have any cash" and "right next door to my bank"?

Don't forget their early draft of Mr Brownstone:

We've been pleading with 

Mr Barclays, cuz

That motherfucker 

Won't give me a looooooaaaan. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

According to mygnrforum Slash pays the highest alimony in the history of mankind and Perla is richer than Bill Gates. 

but not really cause one or a couple of posters who express a certain opinion that you or I don't agree with in this case doesn't mean the entire online community shares that view.

Edited by Rovim

1 hour ago, We love Axl Rose said:

According to mygnrforum Slash pays the highest alimony in the history of mankind and Perla is richer than Bill Gates. 

100% this. I'd love to see this alimony deal. The way some people go on about it you'd think she owned apple by now and slash is selling his ass in van nuys. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I can't see where's the problem in slash doing a nice commercial

Exactly! Cheese supreme but who cares, it's supposed to be light hearted... And yeah working with a bank is pretty lame but money is money and we'd all do the same if we could 

• Like 1