Slash in new Capital One Bank commercial

7 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I'll never understand how you can get butthurt over this. 

Everyone takes things so personally. It helps me to see everyone’s hatred on here and remember to not be like that in my real life

• Like 4

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I'm not sure if this upsets me more than if he had died. Badass rockstars, punk as fuck, most dangerous band in the world, selling out. I'd say this is the single worst thing slash has ever done. I'd rather he sold out musically. Did an album with beiber calvin harris and adele. But to advertise a BANK. Jesus fucking H Christ. What next? JP Morgan? Trump Towers? Trophy hunting? Fuck you Slash. And fuck all of you saying can't blame a man for making a little extra cash. There are some lines you don't cross. A fucking bank man. In the middle of some of the worst inequality and recessions the west has seen. A fucking American bank too. This is too much. 

172x59.jpg.a89dcf8d85ea43074762591fef14f2ca.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Rock N Roll, Punk, GnR literally stood for EVERYTHING banks are not. every teenage kid that is opressed because of the attitudes passed down by organisations like this. 

They stood for that 30 years ago maybe.. Judging by ticket prices, I don't think they are concerned with opressing teenage kids these days... On another note.. Who gives a shit? 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, cineater said:

Just playing.  I have my what is rock n roll and what isn't too.  Neil Young was an idiot not to sing for Pepsi and Coke.  Did he ever let them use his music for commercials?

no, I don't think he ever did. 

4 hours ago, JimiRose said:

I'm not sure if this upsets me more than if he had died. Badass rockstars, punk as fuck, most dangerous band in the world, selling out. I'd say this is the single worst thing slash has ever done. I'd rather he sold out musically. Did an album with beiber calvin harris and adele. But to advertise a BANK. Jesus fucking H Christ. What next? JP Morgan? Trump Towers? Trophy hunting? Fuck you Slash. And fuck all of you saying can't blame a man for making a little extra cash. There are some lines you don't cross. A fucking bank man. In the middle of some of the worst inequality and recessions the west has seen. A fucking American bank too. This is too much. 

Yo what the fuck

20 hours ago, there is no dana only zool said:

I wonder if anyone outside the forum knows that GN'R have other songs besides Sweet Child lol.  Pretty funny commercial, though, both  the girl's response and Slash's haha.

There are tens of millions of disappointed people sitting at home right now wondering why he wasn't playing Atlas Shrugged in the commercial instead.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

People are giving you hell here, and even though I don’t see it as strongly as you, I basically agree with a lot of it. A brief beer commercial cameo is one thing (especially in 2014 – god knows how Axl was doing money-wise then), but this? And abusing such an iconic song for this crap on the top of that? I’m also amused by these comments like "he has a family to support". Fuck off, these guys made half a billion only for the first two years of NITL, so there’s no justification for doing this in order to support families, jeez.
Yeah, I guess once you become used to money... They’ll clearly do anything but please the fans. 

I mean he probably has to shell out some cash for that Perla money lol

• Like 1

They've all been millionaires for the last 30 years or so. They are not some local punk band down the street, whose members we know personally.

I do understand why one can feel betrayed, though. When the NITL tour started, I somehow felt like "my band" was making a comeback. But when I realized they were more interested in money than in art*, the blinders came off. Like these people are some filthy rich musicians who I don't know and who I have nothing in common with. Why should I care about them personally? It's a waste of time to idolize anyone. It gives you nothing back. My fanboyness flew out the window. It was actually good for me, because now I just try concentrate on the music. The art is what matters, not who makes it.

*I'm not saying there is anything wrong with that and I'm sure they genuinely still love playing. But they don't turn down a buck. 

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

Fuck off, these guys made half a billion only for the first two years of NITL

To be fair though, seeing how much money Slash has to pay Perla per month, if you divide half a billion by 7 (Axl, Slash, Duff, Frank, Dizzy, Melissa, Fortus) and plus roadies, TB, the cost of touring logistics, gear, etc. I am sure there is decent money to be made but not like this Jeff Bezos-esque amount we are assuming and certainly with Slash that amount to Perla is not an insubstantial amount

I dunno, I can't say I am "yipee" about this but at the same time... I dunno I just am not bothered by it one way or another lol.  It means nothing to me either way, and to me taking money for random commercials isn't much different than accepting a huge check for Appetite belonging to a major label

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

To be fair though, seeing how much money Slash has to pay Perla per month, if you divide half a billion by 7 (Axl, Slash, Duff, Frank, Dizzy, Melissa, Fortus) and plus roadies, TB, the cost of touring logistics, gear, etc. I am sure there is decent money to be made but not like this Jeff Bezos-esque amount we are assuming and certainly with Slash that amount to Perla is not an insubstantial amount

I dunno, I can't say I am "yipee" about this but at the same time... I dunno I just am not bothered by it one way or another lol.  It means nothing to me either way, and to me taking money for random commercials isn't much different than accepting a huge check for Appetite belonging to a major label

Yeah I didn’t mean it’s half a billion divided by 7 (actually, the three surely get way more than the rest) and that’s all. But it’s still a lot of money, plus that was just 2016/17 and the tour has been going on. Plus you have continuous royalties from the songs, like each time they play it on the radio (which is an insane amount, considering it's all over the world), plus money from the old records, merch, past solo tours... Let’s say he definitely doesn’t have to do this to fulfil whatever financial liabilities he’s gotten himself into. Plus there’s another thing – like, why a fucking bank, out of all things, for the love of god. At least a beer. Gibson guitars. Art. Sport car, anything. This is like the opposite of what they used to stand for...

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1