Let's all just agree that Shackler's Revenge is the best song ever recorded

11 hours ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Best song ever recorded ? It’s not even the best GNR song so not sure that holds up.

Best GNR song? It probably is one of the worst CD songs and that means a lot. The only good thing is Axl's voice really and I agree it has a catchy melodie somewhere inside but it's far from the better songs of CD.

Songs like this are basically a reason why I dislike CD so much. That has nothing to do with GNR musically. The solo of that song is dogshit, it makes me cringe, the sound of the guitars and the intro are awful IMO. The chorus and even the pre chorus are annoying. I really had to go back to listen to this turd again to tell what's so stupid on it because I really had no memorys to the details. I'd better not. 

And then people keep saying CD is the evolved UYI sound. With songs like this? Lol. It's a u-turn. It's a complete transformation. It's totally different. That's not anything like my classic GNR. It's sad.

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Free Bird said:

Best GNR song? It probably is one of the worst CD songs and that means a lot. The only good thing is Axl's voice really and I agree it has a catchy melodie somewhere inside but it's far from the better songs of CD.

Songs like this are basically a reason why I dislike CD so much. That has nothing to do with GNR musically. The solo of that song is dogshit, it makes me cringe, the sound of the guitars and the intro are awful IMO. The chorus and even the pre chorus are annoying. I really had to go back to listen to this turd again to tell what's so stupid on it because I really had no memorys to the details. I'd better not. 

And then people keep saying CD is the evolved UYI sound. With songs like this? Lol. It's a u-turn. It's a complete transformation. It's totally different. That's not anything like my classic GNR. It's sad.

Imagine it as "Axl Rose - Chinese Democracy" instead of "Guns N' Roses - Chinese Democracy". It helps. 

• 5 months later...

Weirdly I was thinking about this song today when speaking to a friend about Chinese Democracy. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with this song and I feel it was misplaced on the album; definitely should have been Hardschool as the second song on the tracklist to give the solid 1-2-3 of CD/HS/Better to get people invested. My experience when showing CD to people is that they think the title track is ok, but are immediately put off when they hear Shackler's, which sets the tone for the rest of the album.

Some comments/musings from my side.

- If I recall correctly, the first we heard of this song title was when there was a Rock Band 2 announcement. I don't remember ever before this even hearing the name and pretty sure my cynical reaction at the time was to call it as BS!

- Axl said the lyrics were inspired by the Virginia Tech shooting (April 2007), so by it's very nature the vocals had to be recorded between April 2007 and September/October 2008. Vocal-wise, Axl's voice sounds very similar to how he sounded on Sebastian Bach's album, Angel Down, which was released in November 2007, so it points to it being recorded in a small window between April 2007-Nov 2007. Wonder if there was anything else added in at this point, maybe Scraped?

- One of the big "What Ifs" of this song is "What if it kept the original Buckethead solo?". Now I know if you listen to the RB multitracks you can hear a really faint solo in the background but I'm really hesitant to say for sure that there was a properly mixed/mastered version that included the old one. I imagine if there was, it would've been on the Antiquiet leak?

Sorry for bumping an old thread but for some reason been thinking about this song all afternoon :lol:

Edited by CAFC Nick
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

A former friend of mine once referred to this song as Guns N’ Korn.

I like it, but I can see why others don’t. Sometimes I feel like it should’ve been deeper on the album, rather than Track 2.

Chinese Democracy

Better 

Street of Dreams

Shackler's Revenge

If the World

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

Chinese Democracy

Better 

Street of Dreams

Shackler's Revenge

If the World

Not a bad idea, but I think if it were up to me I woulda gone with:

1.Better

2.IRS

3.Chinese Democracy

4.Street of Dreams

5.If the World

6.Sorry

7.There Was a Time

8.Riad N’ the Bedouins

9.Shackler’s Revenge

10.Catcher in the Rye

11.Scraped

12.Madagascar

13.This I Love

14.Prostitute

I really like the "Bucket songs" Shackler's, Sorry, Scraped, If The World, etc. I hope we get to hear more eventually, somehow. 

I too hope we get to hear the version with Bucket's solo. The Village version has a different solo than what can be heard in the multi track.

Shacklers is one of the few songs from CD which had single potential.

You can make an argument about things like fans being willing to accept a piano ballad/epic as one of the singles, because GNR was known for that - but otherwise they had Shacklers and Better. 

CD did used the It's So Easy voice and bad the minute long intro. Axl isn't recognized for that voice in the mainstream. 

Silkworms could have been a good single in 1999 if the lyrics were changed to emit the 6th grade edge and make them more tolerable. 

If they found a way to capture the energy and more upbeat arrangement of The Blues from the 2001ish tour, that could have been a big hit for them. GNR always did best with ballads.

Edited by gunsnchalupas

What is the point of this other than to rile up fans of the song? This is some low hanging fruit.

Dumb thread of the year contender🥇

Shacklers is also a good song, not sure how that escapes people. In a world where eye on you is making it to gnr fans dream setlists, it's astonishing that a proper fully formed song like Shacklers and others like If the world get shit on