The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

If they are releasing something and doing the same release strategy they did for Absurd (play live, then play live and announce release at next show), the only dates on a European tour that make sense from a media perspective would be Glasto and/or the Hyde Park gig. If those pass with nothing, then turn attention to the US dates and Fenway, MetLife & Hershey Park.

11 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Axl said that he can’t release another GNR album until Dr Dre releases Detox. 

Haha Detox was scrapped. He released his last album Compton in 2015 and last ep The Contract in 2022.

As a fan I was underwhelmed on both. 

Edited by vloors

7 hours ago, sofine11 said:

You’re definitely correct in a logical sense, though both Absurd and Hard Skool were released after that tour began. Which only shows there is no coherent marketing sense to how/when the spirit moves Axl to release new music. Which unfortunately only serves to make it somewhat of a non-event if they do, no matter how good the track(s) may be, which kind of sucks. It’s why Hard Skool only has a few million listens on YouTube despite it being a killer track. No real effort was put into supporting it.

Both those songs really are sub par. They arent that great in all honesty especially as "comeback" singles.

10 hours ago, sofine11 said:

You’re definitely correct in a logical sense, though both Absurd and Hard Skool were released after that tour began. Which only shows there is no coherent marketing sense to how/when the spirit moves Axl to release new music. Which unfortunately only serves to make it somewhat of a non-event if they do, no matter how good the track(s) may be, which kind of sucks. It’s why Hard Skool only has a few million listens on YouTube despite it being a killer track. No real effort was put into supporting it.

I wonder if releasing those two songs in that manner sold them many tickets? It's difficult to see that they would with no promotional campaign behind them. 

In gig promoting the big moment is the announcement and the on sale day. That's when most tickets get sold. In a lot of cases that's when ALL tickets get sold. You'll pick up some more over time, but the big push is then. 

You need to give potential buyers the buzz and the feel of "I might miss out if I don't get them now" to capitalise on expensive tickets. Definitely try not to give them time to either consider it or get buyers remorse before they actually buy the tickets.  It's pretty basic business stuff really.....and it baffles me why everyone has done so little with this latest leg. There's no selling point at all to push at people other than the vague "this might be your last chance....but probably not" angle, which they've pretty much removed by touring constantly since 2016. 

Edited by allwaystired

6 hours ago, Axl S said:

If they are releasing something and doing the same release strategy they did for Absurd (play live, then play live and announce release at next show), the only dates on a European tour that make sense from a media perspective would be Glasto and/or the Hyde Park gig. If those pass with nothing, then turn attention to the US dates and Fenway, MetLife & Hershey Park.

this band is no longer worth any sort of attention

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 中国民主 said:

I imagine it would be a sudden random decision made by Axl on some random morning after waking up.
"Guys, I'll go out for a jog n' then do some stretching. While I'm gone, care to make something for lunch n' take out the trash? Oh n' while you're at it, why don't you release Atlas or whatever the fuck it's called" 

And then half hour later, Axl returns home,

Guys, change of plan…”

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I first got into GN’R when I was around 13, in 1991. And then I was anxiously awaiting for a proper follow up to TSI, from Axl n Slash when I was 15. 

I just turned 45, and I’m still waiting (like we all are) for that follow up to TSI from Axl n Slash…

30 fucken years!!! Come on man!!!

30 FUCKING YEARS!!!  :shocked:

any year now

• Haha 3
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, D4NNY said:

And then half hour later, Axl returns home,

Guys, change of plan…”

(Axl listens to Atlas while jogging, doesn't like the way his vocals were mixed in 1999)

"Nando, burn everything"

• Haha 3

At least other bands still release new music.

Listening to Them Dirty Roses and Goodbye June lately. I guess the vocalist of Goodbye June is my surrogate Axl for now :lol: 

"So sick and tired
I'm so sick and tired
Yeah, I'm so sick and tired
Always trying and ending up with nothing"

:P

56 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

With the tour starting soon shouldn't we be expecting a new single, based on nothing, so that we can get angry when it doesn't appear after the first tour date?

Based on nothing? There’s no bases for us to expect new music? It wasn’t Axl who stated more than a few times that we would be getting follow up albums? That there is a considerable amount of music in the pipeline? That we wouldn’t be waiting as long as we did for CD?

It wasn’t Slash who suggested more tunes are coming after the release of Hardskool and the abominable Absurd?

Of course we are expecting new music, because we have been told there’s plenty of it and it’s coming. We already know it will come with little warning, no promotion and no continuity. So yes, we are expecting new music to come and when it doesn’t we will be upset and rightfully so. 

2 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Based on nothing? There’s no bases for us to expect new music? It wasn’t Axl who stated more than a few times that we would be getting follow up albums? That there is a considerable amount of music in the pipeline? That we wouldn’t be waiting as long as we did for CD?

It wasn’t Slash who suggested more tunes are coming after the release of Hardskool and the abominable Absurd?

Of course we are expecting new music, because we have been told there’s plenty of it and it’s coming. We already know it will come with little warning, no promotion and no continuity. So yes, we are expecting new music to come and when it doesn’t we will be upset and rightfully so. 

but Gn'R is not exactly reliable when it comes to delivering on their promises so maybe it will be a good idea to not expect anything until it actually happens. Besides, Axl didn't promise a follow up to Chinese in a very long time now. His latest comment on releasing new music was that he'd love to do it but soon is still not the word.

that was in 2016, and only 2 old tunes were released so I think it's better to look at their actions instead of believing everything band members say will happen cause Axl seems to do shit for himself, not for us and keeps the right to change his mind until the very last moment.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

51 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

And this is the exact reason they have fans waiting after 15 years still, aside from two 20 year old tracks released with new guitars. Only GNR has this level of faith in stuff Axl said back in 2009 and will still wait day after day! 

Slash may have said stuff like that but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. 

53 minutes ago, smokingarthur said:

Besides, I was more reflecting on the traditional mygnr anticipation that when a tour starts we expect a new song on the opening night or a single to drop and then everyone says "fuck this band" when it doesn't happen, despite the band never actually saying it will!

12 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

And this is the exact reason they have fans waiting after 15 years still, aside from two 20 year old tracks released with new guitars. Only GNR has this level of faith in stuff Axl said back in 2009 and will still wait day after day! 

Slash may have said stuff like that but it doesn't mean it's going to happen. 

Besides, I was more reflecting on the traditional mygnr anticipation that when a tour starts we expect a new song on the opening night or a single to drop and then everyone says "fuck this band" when it doesn't happen, despite the band never actually saying it will!

Yes I know you were, I’m just trying to keep the thread going 🥲 clearly there won’t be any music released prior to the first show as it hasn’t happened previously, so I’m not expecting it now. Axl does everything ass backwards and without any logic or rationale. 

It’s a real shame too because it’s the perfect time to release something, anything. I think the genre is hungry for it. I think new music might spark some interest, but we all know it would be a lowest case denominator release with little to no acknowledgment from Axl. 

32 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

At least the "Axl is a perfectionist" nonsense died down for the most part after Absurd/ Hardskool and the tons of shitty merch.

I was one of those that used to really think that. 

I actually think that's genuinely a sad thing- that illusion being shattered. As a fan it's a tough one to come to terms with. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

At least the "Axl is a perfectionist" nonsense died down for the most part after Absurd/ Hardskool and the tons of shitty merch.

I always felt that was the biggest BS excuse especially how messy CD (released version) was and Axl not bothering even doing touch up vocal work on the newer singles.

• Like 2

I don't think most people who we think of as "perfectionist" consider absolutely every thing in their life equally important and will fuss over every single aspect of their life and spend an inordinate time on absolutely everything. 

And that's obviously also the case with Axl. I believe that one of the main motifs for Axl's behaviour, and how his choices must be understood, is his ideas of how he wants to be remembered as an a composer and performer. He has a very particular vision of how he wants his legacy to be. This means that certain songs, those that will form the core of his songwriting corpus, becomes extremely important to him. It is those songs that he hoped will elevate him to a similar, or at least approaching, status in the history of rock or music to Elton John and Freddie Mercury. Don't get me wrong, Axl doesn't harbour any illusions that his discography is any close to these artists in size, and he is too self-deprecating to consider his songs equally great (at least publicly). But he is willing to work a lot, and allow himself to be paralyzed in the process, on these songs to get them "right", or "perfect". At the same time, he accepts that he cannot take this approach to all the songs he work on, nor does he have to if these songs are not intended to be part of his main legacy. Similarly to Elton John and Freddie Mercury, and almost every other artist, who of course have released songs not intended to be taken that seriously and in a sense was also not intended to be their great works of art. 

Additionally, what is "right" or "perfect" for these songs aren't necessarily obvious to us, it is not necessarily about objective quality of his singing or composing structure, but more esoteric things like how he sings certain parts, how the drums come in, etc. It causes weird decisions that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense to us (or me, at least), but very important to him, because, again, he has this strong idea in his mind of how these important songs should come out.

Similarly, to him albums are the currency of musicians. Albums are more than just a collection of songs. It is the main criteria product of a musician. He grew up in a time when a song would always be understood in the context of where it was on an album and how that album physically looked. You didn't rate a song entirely independent of the cover art, the notes, the quality of the artwork, how the songs flowed when played, what came on one side of the vinyl and the opposite side, etc. He wanted his albums to rival the best albums of his idols. So he was (and is?) extremely fuzzy about this. The songs on an album doesn't need to all be fantastic, it rarely is for any great artist, but every album should have some killer songs, a meaningful collection of songs that work together, and be packaged into a physical product that is in itself great and resonated with the songs.

Does all this make Axl a perfectionist? Well, it depends on how you define that. But I don't think there is any question about whether Axl will spend a stupendous amount of time tinkering with certain things.

And does this explain why Hard Skool and Absurd might seem sloppy or not that important to him? I think so too, these aren't his next November Rains, and also they aren't part of album so it matters somewhat less. It is also possible that these songs meant more to him at some point, but that he has had to adjust his ambitions for them as newGN'R failed.  Hence, these songs means less to him now. We'll see.

• Like 1