The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

21 hours ago, Alexmee239 said:

That is just not true. Axl was a beast in 2016 and even 2017. Of course now he isn't as energetic as he was in 2009, that's almost 15 year ago.

He was absolutely a beast in 2016... with AC/DC. :lol:

He was still good in 2016 with GNR but the shows I saw in 2017 were noticeably weaker, and like shadowofthewave said he'd been getting weaker since the SA 2016 shows.

• Like 2

I think Billy said something very interesting here : 

"I understand people come to the shows if they want to hear those songs too (the old hits) it's just when that becomes the story if that is the story then I'm dead as an artist and there's no future for my band so what the am I doing standing there I'm nothing but a rodeo clown doing the act from 25 years ago"

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Axl's voice was top notch through most of 2016, but he was awful in 2017. Even in late 2016 on the SA tour Mickey was starting to take over.

2017 was not awful. There were plenty of great performances and he still sounded good. 2018 onwards was the big overall vocal drop off. 

Even appearance wise his noticeably more unhealthy looking from 2018 onwards. 2016/17 he looked fit.

Seems he decided to dial it in after those first 2 years of the threeunion and lost that initial motivation.

1 hour ago, DeNfr said:

"I understand people come to the shows if they want to hear those songs too (the old hits) it's just when that becomes the story if that is the story then I'm dead as an artist and there's no future for my band so what the am I doing standing there I'm nothing but a rodeo clown doing the act from 25 years ago"

I think GNR was always going to fall into being a nostalgic act though, because Axl is simply not a prolific songwriter like Billy. I don't think it's fair to criticize Axl for not writing more music, he has said he suffers from writer's block and there's no point in him trying if the feeling isn't there. Hoarding completed songs for decades is a different matter.

• GNFNR 1

2 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I think GNR was always going to fall into being a nostalgic act though, because Axl is simply not a prolific songwriter like Billy. I don't think it's fair to criticize Axl for not writing more music, he has said he suffers from writer's block and there's no point in him trying if the feeling isn't there. Hoarding completed songs for decades is a different matter.

Thats another rubbish excuse when lots of bands use writers other than the singer to make the songs.  Even gnr used to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Axl's voice was top notch through most of 2016, but he was awful in 2017. Even in late 2016 on the SA tour Mickey was starting to take over.

He was very good in London 2017. Not as good as 2016 (summer 2016 was unreal) but very good.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

The last part is the key. Billy not only writes a ton of songs, he also empties the vaults on a fairly regular basis 

Axl has had 1.5-2 albums worth of material in the can for some time now,  at least some of which is supposedly great, but refuses to put it out there.

I don't hold out any hope for new material recorded from scratch with the current lineup, but would gladly pay for a CD era box set that includes the rest of the BucketFinck material, different versions of the previously released songs and all of that. I understand most of the fanbase doesn't care but plenty do. And it would do absolutely no harm to anyone to put it out. Hell, Slash and Duff would gladly play it live, they've proven that with the CD songs 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

The last part is the key. Billy not only writes a ton of songs, he also empties the vaults on a fairly regular basis 

Axl has had 1.5-2 albums worth of material in the can for some time now,  at least some of which is supposedly great, but refuses to put it out there.

I don't hold out any hope for new material recorded from scratch with the current lineup, but would gladly pay for a CD era box set that includes the rest of the BucketFinck material, different versions of the previously released songs and all of that. I understand most of the fanbase doesn't care but plenty do. And it would do absolutely no harm to anyone to put it out. Hell, Slash and Duff would gladly play it live, they've proven that with the CD songs 

I don't know how gladly Slash would be with GNR releasing an album he doesn't at least play on. If you mean the remainder of the tracks with Duff/Slash's re-recordings, then yes of course they'll happily go along with that. If Axl releases either of those versions that will be the last GNR record AND Slash/Duff will have written absolutely zero songs on it. The cost involved in a boxset is too much, and the interest level in chinese democracy era music isn't enough for any label to finance it. I also find it hard to believe Axl would be happy dumping these songs on some extras vinyl/cd for a boxset anniversary of Chinese Democracy. 

As for doing no harm putting it out... maybe, but what if HardSkool and Absurd are the better tracks from the collection he has? are we so desperate for music that we want to get 14 other dud songs like those? personally, I'm past the "just release anything, I'll buy it" stage. Whatever they put out needs to be legitimately good, none of this willing yourself to like it BS, those songs really killed my enthusiasm for new GNR😄

Since 1995, Queen has released 18 songs, Axl has only released 17.  Queen's lead singer died in 1991 and that's not counting the album they did with Paul Rodgers.  More songs with a dead singer than G'n'R has with the singer who's owned the band since 1995.

Since 1995, the Rolling Stones have released 50 songs, three albums plus a few singles and extra tracks on the new greatest hits album.  They've also released another 42 songs on the re-releases of some of the albums they made before 1995.

Both bands had long careers before 1995 and were decades older than Axl, but they actually do stuff.  They're also much richer and still make music they want their fans to hear.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, vloors said:

2017 was not awful. There were plenty of great performances and he still sounded good. 2018 onwards was the big overall vocal drop off. 

Even appearance wise his noticeably more unhealthy looking from 2018 onwards. 2016/17 he looked fit.

Seems he decided to dial it in after those first 2 years of the threeunion and lost that initial motivation.

Well, I kind of checked out for most of 2017 and wasn't really following the tour. The clips I did happen to see, like Yesterdays from RIR, were unbelievably bad.

Edited by ShadowOfTheWave

9 hours ago, DeNfr said:

I saw the Smashing Pumpkins headline Rock on the Range maybe 10 years ago and literally the entire stadium left during their set outside of maybe a couple thousand people.  Literally the concert could have been held in a club rather than a large empty stadium. It was extremely sad because the band was pretty decent I thought.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

5 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Well, I kind of checked out for most of 2017 and wasn't really following the tour. The clips I did happen to see, like Yesterdays from RIR, were unbelievably bad.

Haha that RIR is a terrible performance and not a great one to base his entire 2017 off. 

Billy Corgan is still a god. He still doesn't give a fuck. Even if the new album was trash, he is an artist. You see that when playing live and in all the different styles of the pumpkins music. Axl is nothing compared to him in term so artistry. For a guy who wanted to bury appetite hes made a career playing it live for 20 years. It's sad. Sad for GnR sad for the fans. But hey they're all worth millions so who cares right? because money is all that matters to some.... sad sad sad

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I was thinking recently, in November 2014 Richard Fortus said Axl was "doing a lot vocally" in the studio and that one of the songs the band was working originated from a Slash riff. People assume this is Hard Skool because of the Jackie Chan thing but there's also a good possibility it isn't. It would be great if a completed song came out of those 1996 riffs Axl called the 1996 version of Aerosmith Rocks. In his Slash's autobiography he mentioned Axl saving the riffs he liked on DATs from those sessions.

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Billy Corgan is still a god. He still doesn't give a fuck. Even if the new album was trash, he is an artist. You see that when playing live and in all the different styles of the pumpkins music. Axl is nothing compared to him in term so artistry. For a guy who wanted to bury appetite hes made a career playing it live for 20 years. It's sad. Sad for GnR sad for the fans. But hey they're all worth millions so who cares right? because money is all that matters to some.... sad sad sad

Well... to be fair over the past 20 years Axl has played a lot of concerts and those concerts all featured chinese democracy music, and in some cases there could be 4,5,6+ songs from the album. IF Axl was out there with the aim of just making money he'd drop the Chinese songs, and he'd get up and perform for an hour and change and piss off home. I obviously understand that he isn't as prolific as Billy Corgan, but I think he's just as credible an artist... even if he has spent 7 years milking a GNR reunion and has a tiny discography. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Uncle Bob said:

So where are these "enough material to release 2 to 3 albums" lol

Who knows. I'm a music nerd so that's why I know of the HIL page. Clearly they have more information than the average fan. Also I have no idea how far in advance albums are on the labels schedule but we're halfway through the year already. I've always thought an album with the three union will come out,I guess just not soon.

Edited by Subtle Signs

32 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

Screenshot_20230519-094953~2.jpg

Gee, I sure hope this is one of those predictions where they were wrong.

(Because they've been wrong before:

)

Because if that prediction isn't wrong,

then what the hell!?

Where's all the material GnR had!?

All the recordings are just hoarded somewhere?

Did some failed-nerd accidentally wipe out all the recordings and the backup recordings too?

Edited by BucketEgg

42 minutes ago, Subtle Signs said:

Screenshot_20230519-094953~2.jpg

Were we expecting an album this year??🤣 I certainly was not. As far as not enough material... well, maybe that's a positive? Maybe they looked at the material and said "these 5 are Guns songs, these other songs don't feel right for gnr". I can only hope this realisation was after Absurd/HardSkool and that they realised both of those songs suck donkey dick.