The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

Any thoughts on how Perhaps might have changed over the years? It was surprisingly short and catchy in 2000 going from the locker discs but I doubt it stayed that way throughout Bucket and Bumblefoots era, presuming there's versions with them on. 

As with Hard Skool the Slash Duff mix seems to have simplified things and cut the song down to get straight to the point. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Perhaps ends up being very similar to the version we have, only Frank on drums instead of Josh of course. 

1 minute ago, allwaystired said:

Time's moved on, sure. Metallica aren't the hottest new band anymore. Tastes change. 

I'm not sure what the debate here is? That Metallica don't sell as many albums as they did in the 80s? Of course they don't. But their albums certainly don't flop. 

72 Season was released on April 14 and it's out of the Billboard 200. It wasn't a blockbuster album. 

9 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

Any thoughts on how Perhaps might have changed over the years? It was surprisingly short and catchy in 2000 going from the locker discs but I doubt it stayed that way throughout Bucket and Bumblefoots era, presuming there's versions with them on. 

As with Hard Skool the Slash Duff mix seems to have simplified things and cut the song down to get straight to the point. 

I wouldn't be surprised if Perhaps ends up being very similar to the version we have, only Frank on drums instead of Josh of course. 

I'm expecting the exact same vocals takes, lyrics, everything. Only thing changed will be the instrumental. Hoping I'm wrong. 

• Like 2

Just now, Jw224 said:

I'm expecting the exact same vocals takes, lyrics, everything. Only thing changed will be the instrumental. Hoping I'm wrong. 

I've always imagined Atlas got extended at some point with maybe a Buckethead solo, like Chinese, IRS and TWAT all did. 

2 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Facts on Metallica's new album: 

72 Seasons debuted at number 2 on the US Billboard 200, selling 146,000 copies in the first week with 134,000 coming from pure album sales; this marked the band's twelfth album to chart in the top 10.[48]

The album debuted at number-one in 20 different countries including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Croatia, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, Portugal, Scotland, Sweden, Switzerland and United Kingdom.

Number One in 20 countries doesn't seem like much of a 'flop' to me......

72 Seasons definaetely isn't a flop.. The massive tour to support it just started too. 

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

Time's moved on, sure. Metallica aren't the hottest new band anymore. Tastes change. 

I'm not sure what the debate here is? That Metallica don't sell as many albums as they did in the 80s? Of course they don't. But their albums certainly don't flop. 

And while not they hottest band they are still arguabley the biggest band.  HardRock/Metal band anyway. 

• Like 3

Perhaps there is a God, our prayers have been answered with another 25 year old song that wasn't good enough to be on the album in first place being trotted out and sold to the world ad a New GNR Song even though the vocals were recorded 25 years ago. 😝

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

One mystery that's always bugged me is that Bumble said Atlas was going to be on the 2008 release but last minute was dropped due to there not being enough space for it, but members of this forum have pointed out that there was indeed room for it .... ??

No room. They needed those 4 and a half minutes for ambient bullshit in CD, Riad, and Prostitute 😂

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

One mystery that's always bugged me is that Bumble said Atlas was going to be on the 2008 release but last minute was dropped due to there not being enough space for it, but members of this forum have pointed out that there was indeed room for it .... ??

Some CDs can hold 72 mins of music and others (CD-R) can hold up to 80 mins, but they’re more expensive to manufacture. ChiDem is on a 72 minute disc.

Has anyone checked to see if Perhaps is already on Shazam?

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, RedHook said:

Perhaps there is a God, our prayers have been answered with another 25 year old song that wasn't good enough to be on the album in first place being trotted out and sold to the world ad a New GNR Song even though the vocals were recorded 25 years ago. 😝

You think Scraped is better than Perhaps? :O

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I wonder this too. I hope it’s Brain on drums, and not Frank. It would be a miracle if they keep Robin’s solo. 

21 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

One of my favourite parts is the sub bass in The Blues, which you can reply here on the 2000 and 2001 mixes, but was lost by the time the album came out. Tommy bass at the end of the track is superb doing the descending notes that ended up having the strings doubled with it on the album which drowned the bass out. Again by 2008 the bass was barely audible. 

My favourite post when the locker discs leaked was about how bassy they were. Someone put "wow, Tommy really got fucked". The stand out of a lot of the 2000 mixes was the bass, especially on the title track! Killer. 

Theres so many cool parts in all the different versions of the tracks. 

I think the bass was mixed low to further emphasize the bass drums and make them sound bigger.

The album is completely lacking in bass guitar. It's one reason why I like the 1999 early leaks. They have a bit more bravado to them, even if some of the later guitar work elevated the songs in different ways. 

Anyone else like me and have very little interest in these "new" songs? They are clearly Chinese leftovers. 

Absurd is terrible. Hard skool is an ok rock song. Perhaps and Atlas are quite boring. 

How great would it be to hear Slash actually play a few riffs? Something that is largely missing from Guns music since 90s.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Anyone else like me and have very little interest in these "new" songs? They are clearly Chinese leftovers. 

Absurd is terrible. Hard skool is an ok rock song. Perhaps and Atlas are quite boring. 

How great would it be to hear Slash actually play a few riffs? Something that is largely missing from Guns music since 90s.

Have to disagree. Love the songs

• Like 2

My only concern is that the Village session songs with vocals might be the only CD-era songs we get. Slash said there were about four more singles left to release. These could easily be Perhaps, SOG, Atlas and some reworked version of Eye on You or Nothing. Of course, I hope I am wrong and that we get The General, Soul Monster, Seven, etc, but this band does the bare minimum.

25 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Agreed. No "big guns" in sight. Pele was right. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Agreed. No "big guns" in sight. Pele was right. :D

If the Village Sessions hadn't leaked, Pele would have said we would only get Hardskool, Silkworms and Atlas (since these were publicly known previously). The point being that no one knew of Perhaps, State of Grace, Nothing, Eye on You, etc, until the Village Sessions were leaked. It is also possible, then, that Axl would have songs recorded later that could potentially be released.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Looking back I think he used some of these comments and teases to lure fabs to his solo music and web streams. 

5 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

You think Scraped is better than Perhaps? :O

I think I prefer Scraped. It's one of the underated CD tracks, great solo, Axl vocals are killer. Vocal intro is very cheesy though, bizarre decision. It's one of the less overworked tracks too, just Robin and Bucket and Bumble overdubs. Not 2 drummers and 6 guitarists like some tracks became. 

Edited by rumandraisin

Was the soundcheck more guitar heavy and less piano? I hope they keep the piano and strings/keys and we dont get a watered down dumb rock version. 

But I remember thst Slash said that the songs they will release next (after absurd and Hardskool) were more epic

• Like 2