The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

Since Oklahoma was brought up in this thread, I have a question. Wasn't the song  created as a result of the Oklahoma City bombings that occurred in 1995? If so, a LOT has happened since then. I'm wondering if Axl would rerecord the lyrics if it's about that if they release the song. A lot of people may have forgotten about that. I definitely know that a lot of people have forgotten about 9/11 and I live in NJ where we had residents pass away that day.  A lot of younger folks don't even  know about 9/11 or cannot understand the magnitude of that day.  I do wonder. 

Releasing a song in 2023/24 which would be strictly about that would mean releasing a song that's basically intended exclusively for the US audience. Because no offense, but even though it was big back then, today no one outside the US would remember what the hell it was about. A lot of things have happened since... Now, if it was just inspired by it, that's a different story. Anyway, this is what we get when a band messes around with songs and keeps them on the shelf for decades instead of releasing them.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Draguns said:

Since Oklahoma was brought up in this thread, I have a question. Wasn't the song  created as a result of the Oklahoma City bombings that occurred in 1995? If so, a LOT has happened since then. I'm wondering if Axl would rerecord the lyrics if it's about that if they release the song. A lot of people may have forgotten about that. I definitely know that a lot of people have forgotten about 9/11 and I live in NJ where we had residents pass away that day.  A lot of younger folks don't even  know about 9/11 or cannot understand the magnitude of that day.  I do wonder. 

Just because the lyrics were inspired by the Oklahoma City bombings doesn't mean that you have to know anything about the bombings to relate to the song. Shackler's Revenge was inspired by the Virginia Tech Shooting, but you don't really have to know anything about it to enjoy the song. You don't have to know anything about Stephanie Seymor to enjoy Chinese Democracy in general.

The name of the song became Berlin later anyway. We don't know if he changes the lyrics when he changed the title. It's perfectly possible that he didn't even change the lyrics. Axl's lyrics are usually so vague that you can associate them with many different incidents and themes.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I don't know why people are expecting a full album! Slash has given a very specific plan for what is happening in regards to new music by GnR. He wouldn't have given such specific information to trick everybody while they have a full album brewing up for release. He said they reworked 4-6 songs from what Axl had and would be released 1-2 at a time until they're all out, and then would be put together and released as an EP. Hardschool and Absurd were included in that 4-6 count. That leaves potentially 2-4 more songs. 

tbf he did say that 18 months ago. to most bands thats an album cycle and they'd be onto the next one. GnR.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

My questions on the Hard Skool mix are these:

1.Why would Axl approve of his voice being buried in the mix? I suppose there's a chance he liked the "echoey" effect it had, but still...

2.Why did Axl approve of Melissa's keyboards being buried so far in the mix? Obviously he commissioned her to add them, but you can barely hear them. Considering that most people in their 60s (especially those who perform loud music for a living) have weaker hearing it's hard to imagine he could hear them at all.

I still doubt it's Melissa on the track. It's such a minimal key part, surely it'd be Dizzys part, why would they replace him with Melissa just to some one note keyboard lines?

13 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why are people still speculating and holding out for a full album release? Slash said exactly what the plan was in regards to what's coming and how it's coming ... 4-6 songs total released in 1-2 song increments ... NO FULL ALBUM 

Because Slash said last year they want to work on a full album in fall 2023. Why does no one have the quote of that?

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Slash said 4-6 new songs, right?

Absurd

Hardschool

The General

Perhaps

Atlas Shrugged

State of Grace

Obviously, I/we would like more than that (Oklahoma, Zodiac, Soul Monster), but if those are the 6 that they go with, it’s hard to say that it’s not a solid release.

Edited by The Real McCoy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Because Slash said last year they want to work on a full album in fall 2023. Why does no one have the quote of that?

They will never record new material. That's so clear from everything that's happened post Bucket leaving. As a whole the last things they did were with Bucket. 

Obviously I can't say that for sure but surely nobody can be delusional enough to imagine post 2004 they started new songs from scratch. Everything after 2004 was just redoing and tinkering with what they had, straight through to 2019 with parts still being worked on for Absurd and Hard Skool. 

Let alone the idea of Axl sitting down with Slash and an acoustic and writing a new song!?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

They will never record new material. That's so clear from everything that's happened post Bucket leaving.

..it was also "clear from everything that's happened" that there would never be a GNR reunion in the first place. Maybe in 2023 now it's not so fresh in your mind anymore, but 8 years ago hell froze over already. Some new song would be nothing in comparison.

People said the same thing about a GNR reunion for like 20 YEARS. "It will never happen." That Axl and Slash would ever even talk again. But here we are aren't we now? If you take a step back to any year prior to 2015 and remember the mindset during those times, them recording some new song Slash wrote is nothing compared to what already happened haha.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

They will never record new material. That's so clear from everything that's happened post Bucket leaving. As a whole the last things they did were with Bucket. 

Obviously I can't say that for sure but surely nobody can be delusional enough to imagine post 2004 they started new songs from scratch. Everything after 2004 was just redoing and tinkering with what they had, straight through to 2019 with parts still being worked on for Absurd and Hard Skool. 

Let alone the idea of Axl sitting down with Slash and an acoustic and writing a new song!?

Yeah Slash confirmed recently enough that they haven't actually wrote together.  And Ron confirmed the same for his time in the band. So it would be safe to assume that there's nothing new since early 00s. 

I see no evidence from the last 20 years that Axl will suddenly get in a room and write music, let alone release it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If Perhaps and The General end up being another EP with some live tracks, hopefully they include Down On The Farm and Bad Obsession at least.

Similar to my choice, i said Pretty Tied Up because that came to my mind before Bad Obsession.  :D
And just add Reckless Life and it would be awesome. :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

"Well, I mean, I want to go in and cut a whole brand new record at some point, probably sooner than later. But other than that, we have stuff that we still got to come out, so that’s gonna be coming out piecemeal over the next… I don’t know, over the next few months or something like that. So that’s basically it. We have one more tour left to do next summer, and then that will free us up to be able to go in and work on a new record. So, you know, I’ll keep you posted."

Seems more it's something Slash is personally hoping will happen, rather than something the band has decided on doing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Yeah Slash confirmed recently enough that they haven't actually wrote together.  And Ron confirmed the same for his time in the band. So it would be safe to assume that there's nothing new since early 00s. 

I see no evidence from the last 20 years that Axl will suddenly get in a room and write music, let alone release it.

Slash did say he writes music for GNR, so... 

14 minutes ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Seems more it's something Slash is personally hoping will happen, rather than something the band has decided on doing.

Well yeah but I think that's the best that is possible, you can't really hope for things to be definitely planned in GNR land so far in advance, I think. This is probably the best we can get with this trainwreck of a band in terms of plans to make an album.

• Confused 1