The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

In my personal opinion if we ever get an album it would consist of:

The six CD2 songs w/ Slash and Duff, them being: Hardskool, Absurd, Perhaps, probably The General, Atlas and the mysterious song ( i wouldn't complain at all, leave the rest of the epics untouched, like SoulMonster, for a CD box set in the future)

If they are gonna get together to record something, (extremely unlikely) i'll bet on a couple of covers at most and even that is being too optimistic... Duff gets one, and then yeah... (unfortunately, painfully, upsettingly, unbearably, unendurably, sadly, embarrassingly...) Wichita Lineman studio version.

And that's a wrap... 8 songs, no promotion at all and maybe a deluxe edition also available for pre order with two extra live tracks at the end. The album debuts at Nº 11 on the Billboard 200.

I'll still buy it, stream it, enjoy it, tell everyone i know about it, and discuss on this forum about how great it is that we finally got an album.:shrugs:

Absurb (Silkworms) final version is a million times better than the early versions.

Hard School.  I just wish they kept the the village sessions intro to the song. Instead, of the bloody bell. Rest of the song in your face better than the leaks. 

Prehaps - hearing the sound check. It reminds me of a song Country House by Blur. However, untill we hear the final versions. 

They should just release all the CD era stuff bury it. Move on to fresh ideas. 

It's a buisness now not a band. What ever works for the business. We get. Shame, it's life. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rudolf1978 said:

The big question. Does anybody know what happened to Axl from 2010 to 2011 and nowadays. Why he cant sing like 2010 or 2006. I read something in 2020 that he damaged his vocal chords

It’s still a mystery, and there have been numerous speculations. The shift between his 2010 level and 2011 level is really audible. The strong rasp didn’t disappear, but he shifted from the former level to just using it more sparsely. I ascribe it to the fact he can’t sustain such a strain for longer than a year. After all, he started to thin out even in 93 already (as opposed to the chainsaw the 1992 version was). I think 06/07 was a bit similar. And the same could be corroborated by 2016: the AC/DC thing was immense, but comparing his GNR performance of 2016 with 2017, he once again started to save his voice later. The remaining years are a result of the protracted (and unnecessary) touring. 
The real mystery is 2002 vs. 2006, with the former being a thinned out approach and the latter basically good old strong voice coming back. If it had been just the age thing, it would have happened contrariwise. People have suggested vocal cords surgery, an illness etc. 
So yes, sometimes the difference between just two years is really palpable, and simply ascribing it to the age factor doesn’t always make much sense, especially not in the 2002/2006 case. Which is why they always only should tour for a year or two, then take a break and probably work on something new...

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

12 years happened. He went from being in his late 40s to his early 60s. What else need to have happened?

From 2000 to 2006 he changed from his clean voice to rasp from 2006 to 2010 full rasp and then from Rir 11 to 2016 clean and 20% rasp...then he went worst and worst.... and now a little bit better than 2020 but 

59 minutes ago, jamillos said:

It’s still a mystery, and there have been numerous speculations. The shift between his 2010 level and 2011 level is really audible. The strong rasp didn’t disappear, but he shifted from the former level to just using it more sparsely. I ascribe it to the fact he can’t sustain such a strain for longer than a year. After all, he started to thin out even in 93 already (as opposed to the chainsaw the 1992 version was). I think 06/07 was a bit similar. And the same could be corroborated by 2016: the AC/DC thing was immense, but comparing his GNR performance of 2016 with 2017, he once again started to save his voice later. The remaining years are a result of the protracted (and unnecessary) touring. 
The real mystery is 2002 vs. 2006, with the former being a thinned out approach and the latter basically good old strong voice coming back. If it had been just the age thing, it would have happened contrariwise. People have suggested vocal cords surgery, an illness etc. 
So yes, sometimes the difference between just two years is really palpable, and simply ascribing it to the age factor doesn’t always make much sense, especially not in the 2002/2006 case. Which is why they always only should tour for a year or two, then take a break and probably work on something new...

This,but i think in 99 he had de same problem than 2011

1 minute ago, rudolf1978 said:

From 2000 to 2006 he changed from his clean voice to rasp from 2006 to 2010 full rasp and then from Rir 11 to 2016 clean and 20% rasp...then he went worst and worst.... and now a little bit better than 2020 but 

His voice is obviously declining and then he has years where it is better. It will probably continue like this. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yes, Axl confirmed both of those things during his 2008 forum visits.

I love those 2 demos and have them on my homemade CD album playlist. The melody instrumentation on SM is definitely next level. Wish we will hear it one day in its original form, could be wishful thinking though. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think the change from 2002 to 6 is slightly more intentional then we give credit for. In the china exchange interview he did mention about choosing to sing cleaner for the album and when they first came back. He was aware it wasn't received well and I think 2006 saw a shift to a more easy to swallow "new guns" concept, with a better choice of clothes on stage, the classic voice, band members looking less unusual and some more classic style merch ideas. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gunner55 said:

My guess was Atlas intro on that post of his. 

What post? Is Atlas still being considered? 

I believe the demo intro sounds a lot better with just those keys. It reminds me of Beatles. 

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

I think the change from 2002 to 6 is slightly more intentional then we give credit for. In the china exchange interview he did mention about choosing to sing cleaner for the album and when they first came back. He was aware it wasn't received well and I think 2006 saw a shift to a more easy to swallow "new guns" concept, with a better choice of clothes on stage, the classic voice, band members looking less unusual and some more classic style merch ideas. 

Indeed. It was clearly an attempt (by Merck?) to get the band ready for a proper release. Axl showing up on that Korn party was the kick-off. Obviously we saw how all that work in 2006 was for nothing.

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

He did say that, but I can’t imagine anyone would choose singing that (often) horribly in places where normal rasp should have been (especially in the classic old songs - we're not talking solely about the CD material, are we), unless they had to. Plus the thinning out already from the late 90s... Nah, I think even though he did that deliberately on the album, I think he had to anyway. Especially considering that if he hadn’t do that, the difference between the studio and live versions would have been too huge. He knew he was gonna have to sing these songs live for a long time from then on. 
Anyway, my bet is on vocal surgery between 2003 and 2006. 

20 hours ago, jamillos said:

.The remaining years are a result of the protracted (and unnecessary) touring. 

Which is why they always only should tour for a year or two, then take a break and probably work on something new...

All these people are experts on how Axl should live his life.  He likes to tour and travel and do live shows and people are still coming out to the shows in large crowds.  Let the man live his life the way he wants, he has earned that in life. He doesn't need anyone on mygnrforums approval lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

All these people are experts on how Axl should live his life.  He likes to tour and travel and do live shows and people are still coming out to the shows in large crowds.  Let the man live his life the way he wants, he has earned that in life. He doesn't need anyone on mygnrforums approval lol

I am not doing that. This is a place for chatting, and we’re chatting about his voice, making assumptions, conjectures, speculations, and voicing opinions, as usual. 
His voice-wise, what I suggested would be the best thing to do. As much as I love him, he's been ruining what's left in his tank by cash-grab touring. 
By your logic, we shouldn’t comment on anything. Were they playing the same setlist in the recent years? Let them live their life, they don’t play for people on the internet! 
Basically, we should turn into Htgth and just praise everything, no? 
Shit happens, people will comment on it, deal with it. That’s what this place is for, last time I checked. 

6 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Axl implied he sang that way intentionally to preserve his voice. 

Perhaps. More of a mystery of the 2002 vs 2006 difference. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

So then it’s not such a big deal that the 88 of us on this forum actually discuss GNR related matter democratically. After all, why should Axl care what a few dozen superfans muse about?

With 3 of the next 4 shows being festivals does that make it unlikely we're going to see the new songs? Makes it seems really pointless that they have been rehearsed, soundchecked, recorded and not played at any of the first 4 shows despite them being 32/33 song sets. It's baffling. 

10 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

With 3 of the next 4 shows being festivals does that make it unlikely we're going to see the new songs? Makes it seems really pointless that they have been rehearsed, soundchecked, recorded and not played at any of the first 4 shows despite them being 32/33 song sets. It's baffling. 

Yeah, I was thinking exactly the same. I can't see the 'new' songs getting an airing anytime soon now. 

It's always baffling though, and maybe they will decide a festival bill is the time to play music people in the very casual crowd haven't heard! 

It would be so nice if we got a new song at Graspop. Been to 9 shows over the years and only once gotten a first, I think, Slither in Berlin. (Not a new song, but still...) They tend to surprise us sometimes, so it would be cool if they would do so now too :lol:

But I think in the Vigo show they played 6 or 7 songs I've never seen them do live, so I'll be happy if we get a similar setlist regardless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

I suppose once a new song has been played then they're commited to actually releasing it, going from the last two. It's a bigger deal then playing Pretty Tied Up. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I suppose once a new song has been played then they're commited to actually releasing it, going from the last two. It's a bigger deal then playing Pretty Tied Up. 

They released Hard Skool before bringing it live a few days later, Absurd was the other way around, first played, released afew days later, I think.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

They started to play UYI songs in January and released the actual thing in September. 

However, they definitely should release a single first and only then do it live, not the other way round. The live version could kinda harm the initial impression. 

1 hour ago, jamillos said:

They started to play UYI songs in January and released the actual thing in September. 

However, they definitely should release a single first and only then do it live, not the other way round. The live version could kinda harm the initial impression. 

And to be fair played CD songs just shy of 8 years before it came out. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

In regard to Axl’s voice.  A few things.  As a musician and singer myself your voice is never the same every night.  The caliber and amount of touring bands did in late 80’s and 90’s damaged a lot of singers voices.  Add in smoking, alcohol, soda, and other things that damage your vocal pallet.  The voice is a muscle that wears over time.  Bon Jovi has discussed this.  If he wants to sing however he can, then cool IMO.  He’s worth 200$ million he can do what he wishes. There’s reasons there is a saying of “rock n roll is a young man’s game.”  Corey Taylor even said “you think I’ll be able to scream the song people=shit at 70? It’s just not possible.”

In regard to new song(s) I think Hyde park would make sense as a single release.  Given the show day/time and volume that will be there but I could be 1000% wrong.  I assume they’ll follow same model and we will see 2 songs.  Probably no more than that this year.  Annoying but eh.  I think Fortus sitar pedal would be relevant for Atlas.  I’ll have to match his settings on my same ravish sitar pedal and see what it does. I really hope they release Atlas, Perhaps, The General, and finalized state of grace.

The fact they’ve released locker leak songs makes me really question if there is even many more completed songs.  If there were your think they’d release something nobody’s heard.  Anyone else a bit surprised by Atlas? First time I heard that I was like (it’s cool, but not as epic as I thought it would be.) I am wondering if we all may feel same about the general when we hear it.  What if it’s 1:30 seconds of that intro and then just 45 seconds of singing?  I always thought Atlas would be more estranged-ish based on discussion.  I’d really like to hear a confident and finalized version of state of grace.  That curly shuffle song would be cool to hear.  I still think that song could be a mid 90’a pre slash exit song.  I think a few songs on the lockers could be.  Obviously Oklahoma as well. 

Edited by UYI4
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, UYI4 said:

In regard to Axl’s voice.  A few things.  As a musician and singer myself your voice is never the same every night.  The caliber and amount of touring bands did in late 80’s and 90’s damaged a lot of singers voices.  Add in smoking, alcohol, soda, and other things that damage your vocal pallet.  The voice is a muscle that wears over time.  Bon Jovi has discussed this.  If he wants to sing however he can, then cool IMO.  He’s worth 200$ million he can do what he wishes. There’s reasons there is a saying of “rock n roll is a young man’s game.”  Corey Taylor even said “you think I’ll be able to scream the song people=shit at 70? It’s just not possible.”

In regard to new song(s) I think Hyde park would make sense as a single release.  Given the show day/time and volume that will be there but I could be 1000% wrong.  I assume they’ll follow same model and we will see 2 songs.  Probably no more than that this year.  Annoying but eh.  I think Fortus sitar pedal would be relevant for Atlas.  I’ll have to match his settings on my same ravish sitar pedal and see what it does. I really hope they release Atlas, Perhaps, The General, and finalized state of grace.

The fact they’ve released locker leak songs makes me really question if there is even many more completed songs.  If there were your think they’d release something nobody’s heard.  Anyone else a bit surprised by Atlas? First time I heard that I was like (it’s cool, but not as epic as I thought it would be.) I am wondering if we all may feel same about the general when we hear it.  What if it’s 1:30 seconds of that intro and then just 45 seconds of singing?  I always thought Atlas would be more estranged-ish based on discussion.  I’d really like to hear a confident and finalized version of state of grace.  That curly shuffle song would be cool to hear.  I still think that song could be a mid 90’a pre slash exit song.  I think a few songs on the lockers could be.  Obviously Oklahoma as well. 

I’ve always said(thought) that the greatest thing about Atlas is the title…….

• Like 2