The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

6 hours ago, Caught_in_a_Coma said:

I would love this.  MJ Estate was really cool to do that on Xscape.  There are some great songs on that album.

Yeah they pretty much had to do something like that since they were  not so cool when they released those three fake tracks with fake MJ vocals. 

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

21 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Why is "radio friendly" being discussed as a factor that matters whatsoever for what GnR decides to release next ..? Hardschool was as radio friendly as it gets and that didn't even last to the end of '21. That Linkin Park song Lost is still getting every day on multiple stations air play. Why is this delusion still so strong amongst this forum that GnR is going to become relevant to the music scene again? It's never happening. That ship sailed a long long time ago, before you ever heard the waves crashing on the beach at the end of Prostitute. Calculating in your head what song makes the most sense to release next in terms of radio friendliness is just as insane as thinking the version of Dub Suplex and Tonto with vocals are out there

Yeah. The only reason to release music at this point is to create a news cycle to sell more concert tickets or because they just want to put something out 

GNR are a legacy touring band. People go to shows to hear songs that they grew up with or that know to be iconic 

Radio is dead. The idea of a single bursting through the noise in 2023 is a lottery ticket. Albums are bought for their collectibility. Music is consumed in a multitude of different ways now. Much of it  can’t be measured in charts. People barely pay for streaming 

Maybe they’ll release something that can be licensed out to commercials or movies/tv. Most likely you’ll get a bunch or reaction YouTube vids that they end up blocking 

My only hope was that they’d go in and re-record those old songs to make them sound more cohesive as a unit. Looks like we’re just getting Slash and Duff pasted over 20 year old tracks. Interesting to hear, but it leaves the songs a bit hollow imo from what we’ve heard already 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

My only hope was that they’d go in and re-record those old songs to make them sound more cohesive as a unit. Looks like we’re just getting Slash and Duff pasted over 20 year old tracks. Interesting to hear, but it leaves the songs a bit hollow imo from what we’ve heard already 

I see this argument all the time - about pasting over 20 year old tracks like it makes any difference to the sound. Most songs are created this way in the modern world. a drummer will lay down drums, days or weeks later the bassist will put their part down, then a guitarist, then leads and fills then vocals and mixing mastering etc. It's rare songs are recorded on tape 'live' and with GnR as we know it is all done on Pro Tools. So it genuinely does not matter if the slash was playing over a song written 100 years ago or seconds ago. The entire chi dem album was recorded this way. 

You can argue as slash and duff weren't there for the writing process of the song, they don't have the 'feel' or connection to it. But they are professional musicians. They guest on songs and albums all the time and work this way. If GnR release a banger that is 20 years old with pasted on guitar tracks will you say it is so good because they are pasted on? Probably not, so it can't be bad being recorded this way either. It's just either a good song or a bad song. A good mix or a bad mix. Don't get caught up in the length between writing and recording parts. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, SAU3R said:

I read 4tus‘ answer just as an ironic „when you’re tired, you should get some rest/go to sleep“ and not as in „get some rest because it’s gonna take ages before you’ll get anything new“…

While I do agree, Fortus is not stupid. He must know how Guns fans feel about the lack of new music and he must know that these type of comments is what leads to the negative relationship between the band and it's hardcore fans.

It would just be easier to ignore the question or even just politely point out that they're touring for the rest of the year and will look seriously at it soon :lol:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

While I do agree, Fortus is not stupid. He must know how Guns fans feel about the lack of new music and he must know that these type of comments is what leads to the negative relationship between the band and it's hardcore fans.

It would just be easier to ignore the question or even just politely point out that they're touring for the rest of the year and will look seriously at it soon :lol:

I don't know, 4tus was the main offender for year after year saying they were working on new stuff, new music soon, getting together to "look at what they have". 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I see this argument all the time - about pasting over 20 year old tracks like it makes any difference to the sound. Most songs are created this way in the modern world. a drummer will lay down drums, days or weeks later the bassist will put their part down, then a guitarist, then leads and fills then vocals and mixing mastering etc. It's rare songs are recorded on tape 'live' and with GnR as we know it is all done on Pro Tools. So it genuinely does not matter if the slash was playing over a song written 100 years ago or seconds ago. The entire chi dem album was recorded this way. 

You can argue as slash and duff weren't there for the writing process of the song, they don't have the 'feel' or connection to it. But they are professional musicians. They guest on songs and albums all the time and work this way. If GnR release a banger that is 20 years old with pasted on guitar tracks will you say it is so good because they are pasted on? Probably not, so it can't be bad being recorded this way either. It's just either a good song or a bad song. A good mix or a bad mix. Don't get caught up in the length between writing and recording parts. 

The basic tracks that were put down have a completely different vibe than what the band puts out live in 2023. By redoing the song it could capture who they are better 

4 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

The basic tracks that were put down have a completely different vibe than what the band puts out live in 2023. By redoing the song it could capture who they are better 

From what we can gather, the drums and vocals were left in tact from original, fortus mentioned he had re recorded didnt he? plus slash and duff. The vocals would only be much worse. The drums sound worse in hardskool from the 1999 demo, so maybe they should just leave everything in tact. just add a slash solo in the solo sections.

the only vibe difference really is Axls deteriorating vocal live, so i'm all in favour of using the best vocal take possible. The technological manipulation they do to vocals on pro tools, it doesnt make any difference what year it's recorded. 

Edited by JimiRose
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, jacdaniel said:

Us Guns fans are funny... I mean both Slash and Ron literally confirmed they've never written anything with Axl. 

Slash mentioned that there's just a handful of stuff they've reworked. He also mentioned he's going on tour next year with SMKC and working on other projects. 

A fan asks Richard about new music on Instagram and says we are getting tired. Richard advises him to get some rest :lol:

I'd say the chances of an album are practically zero. At most we might hear some reworked Chinese leftovers.

No, the chances are not practically zero. They are undoubtedly 100% zero. 

15 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Thank goodness for RHCP. I have 0 expectations from this so called “band”. 

I'm not thankful. Their new album was the most boring sleepiest shit I've ever heard. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, guitarpatch said:

Yeah. The only reason to release music at this point is to create a news cycle to sell more concert tickets or because they just want to put something out 

GNR are a legacy touring band. People go to shows to hear songs that they grew up with or that know to be iconic 

Radio is dead. The idea of a single bursting through the noise in 2023 is a lottery ticket. Albums are bought for their collectibility. Music is consumed in a multitude of different ways now. Much of it  can’t be measured in charts. People barely pay for streaming 

Maybe they’ll release something that can be licensed out to commercials or movies/tv. Most likely you’ll get a bunch or reaction YouTube vids that they end up blocking 

Yeah, and worse is they only decided to do 4-6 of those songs ... Couldn't even be assed to do a full 10-14 track album with all of those leftovers ....

19 minutes ago, rumandraisin said:

I don't know, 4tus was the main offender for year after year saying they were working on new stuff, new music soon, getting together to "look at what they have". 

There was literally a new interview every year with him saying the same thing about new music in a different way, for years and years. Laughable then, just damn pathetic now looking back

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I'm not thankful. Their new album was the most boring sleepiest shit I've ever heard. 

Their newest album is by far their best since Stadium Arcadium imo. Songs like Eddie and Carry Me Home are great rock songs, way better than anything Slash has done in a decade...

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Their newest album is by far their best since Stadium Arcadium imo. Songs like Eddie and Carry Me Home are great rock songs, way better than anything Slash has done in a decade...

They were the only 2 good songs across both albums though. But tbh that's fine. we'll always have the 3/4 classic albums and 2 good songs on each album is great for me. would kill for that with GnR. None of these bands are going to release all time classic albums, but if they release an album every 3/4 years you'll like a couple each time which is great. 

1 hour ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I agree.  I love seeing fans say GnR are older now so singing about girls and drugs wont cut it.  But RHCP are supposed to sing "give it away now"?  They have put out great music and I loved how they evolved.

Edited by fabrph5
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Most great albums in rock history were bands writing songs together in a room and the chemistry between the band etc. While they might not record together live, they still all worked together to write it and then record it. 

That chemistry is what makes great bands and albums. 

That gets lost on albums like Chinese

• Like 1

New RHCP records are great.  Here’s why.  They won’t impact us like they did with blood sugar, Californication, mothers milk, etc.   

why? Because they already peaked.  So now when bands like them or tool which I love as well or Deftones make an album…I’m stoked because that band made new music and released it. So what do I expect?  I expect it to sound like that band in some way.  Not the past. It won’t impact us like the older records because it’s life.  Teenagers tend to latch on to things during development years up to 25 so for majority of us it won’t impact us how it once did.  So I get happy when bands of my youth release anything.  As top 40 shit nowadays has no depth or substance.  Also what interesting things do a bunch rich old guys have to say that we don’t already know at this point.

on a side note I told Richard on Instagram that they should play Berlin/Oklahoma in Berlin this week. Lol then realized it’s Switzerland lol

Edited by UYI4
  • Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

2 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

They should have left that as an instrumental. One of the dumbest lyrics in a long time. 

1 hour ago, jacdaniel said:

Most great albums in rock history were bands writing songs together in a room and the chemistry between the band etc. While they might not record together live, they still all worked together to write it and then record it. 

That chemistry is what makes great bands and albums. 

That gets lost on albums like Chinese

I dunno, a lot of the beatles later stuff was written individually by paul or john then taken to the band. I don't think there's one great way to write great songs. it's all too subjective. Some people don't like bohemian rhapsody. some people think a guy adding drums and big drops to classic songs and turning up the bass is genius. What we have to ask is were hard skool and silkworms great songs before slash and duff were added to them? HS is a solid rocker, slash didnt make it worse but probably didn't elevate it either. the mix let down the official release compared to the leak. 

1 minute ago, tboneman said:

They should have left that as an instrumental. One of the dumbest lyrics in a long time. 

Isn't that all chilli peppers lyrics though!? Purple stain has to be one of the dumbest!

• Haha 1

i agree that RHCP reached its peak +20 years ago but with frusciante back I think we were all expecting something at least memorable or above average. 
I love RHCP but both UL and RODC were pretty generic. I think some of the non-hits Stadium Arcadium songs (slow cheetah, strip my mind, she looks to me) are way better than the latest singles (black summer, Eddie, etc).

Same will happen with gnr if they release a new record. Everyone will be expecting another November rain and that won’t ever happen again. I’m okay with Chinese leftovers as I think they’re way better than everything Metallica or RCHP or Pearl Jam could release in the future 

Edited by alangarcianr
  • Like 2

The RHCP really haven't done anything worth listening to since Stadium Arcadium and even that album is pretty bloated.  The new albums were so genetic.  Even if you picked the best songs from each album I think you'd still only have a mid album lol

I also saw them live twice last year and both shows were a bit underwhelming too.  Both times the band only played 90 minutes (maybe a little more) and left out major hits like Scar Tissue, Under the Bridge and Otherside.

They did play some deep cuts which I appreciated and I had fun at both shows but for the RHCP to move into a stadium act and charge hundreds of dollars for their tickets I left both shows expecting a little more I guess.  

• Like 1