The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

6 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I would contend that the vast majority of people that end up at a GNR concert know more than just 4 songs. If they’re at the concert they probably listened to rock stations in the last 30 years and at minimum they would know the following:

Which is why I included...

GreatestHits_Guns'n'Roses.jpg

Here's the list of GNR's most streamed songs:

https://kworb.net/spotify/artist/3qm84nBOXUEQ2vnTfUTTFC_songs.html

Look at the top songs and then notice how quickly and sharply the stats nosedive.

People listening to rock stations the past 30 years doesn't mean they know deep cuts. Rock stations today pretty much stick to a very basic playlist consisting of major hits. While I rarely listen to radio anymore, last time I did I heard Thunderstruck. I wasn't surprised they weren't playing Fire Your Guns or Shot of Love.

I know those songs, you probably know those songs, but that group you see headed to the merch table more than likely does not. They're at the show to see Angus and hear Thunderstruck, Back In Black,  Hells Bells, and You Shook Me All Night Long while drinking a few beers, recording on their phone, and taking selfies.

This is the case with most bands today. It's all catered to casual audiences.

The GNR Twitter page sometimes asks before a show "What song do you want to hear?"

After the forum people get their requests in, what's left in the comments?  Casuals asking forJungle, SCOM, PC, NR....

The question is meant for them. They're not hoping me and you log in requesting Soul Monster and Oklahoma or deep cuts like Human Being and Perfect Crime.

Remember the jokes back in the day about people wearing Ramones, Motorhead, etc shirts but being unable to name more than 1 or 2 songs?

It's not really a joke anymore.

4 hours ago, Free Bird said:

It's obvious because of the style of the songs. I admit, in a live setting when you don't know the song you might get confused but somebody who understands music should be able to tell if it's a song written in the 80s/90s or in 2020.

You could say this about any rock band since new rock isn't really mainstream anymore.

4 hours ago, ChrisW said:

How much money will you spend on tickets to see a band you only know four songs from and didn't like them enough to find any other songs from this band over the last thirty years?

I don't know. You could ask this question outside any stadium as people are walking in.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ChrisW said:

How much money will you spend on tickets to see a band you only know four songs from and didn't like them enough to find any other songs from this band over the last thirty years?  You also have to pay for transportation, parking, snackbar...  How much money will you spend just to be at that show?

Or are you going with someone else who actually knows about the band?  That's more money spent on tickets, snacks, etc.  It's going to be an expensive night.

Actually I did the latter. A woman that I had deeply cared about liked Tori Amos. I’m not a fan of her. I took the woman to the concert and it was costly. I wouldn’t see Tori Amos again. Not my type of music.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I get where you're coming from, but I want the songs to sound like how they did when the players who originally created them did so.

And theres little to no chance of that ever happening. Slash with Axl is the drawcard for most people. Would say 95 percent of people. They want to hear Slash with Axl.

Keep praying for that CD anniversary album with bonus tracks. Thats the only way you will hear any of the original CD era recorded songs officially. 

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

6 hours ago, ChrisW said:

How much money will you spend on tickets to see a band you only know four songs from and didn't like them enough to find any other songs from this band over the last thirty years?  You also have to pay for transportation, parking, snackbar...  How much money will you spend just to be at that show?

Or are you going with someone else who actually knows about the band?  That's more money spent on tickets, snacks, etc.  It's going to be an expensive night.

I’ve seen Eminem at Metlife and Yankee Stadium and I’m not very fond of him lol. It was still a very fun experience and don’t regret it at all. 

Don’t discount the magic of live music!

Plus don’t forget some people go just for clout!

35 minutes ago, Its Tino said:

I’ve seen Eminem at Metlife and Yankee Stadium and I’m not very fond of him lol. It was still a very fun experience and don’t regret it at all. 

Agreed! I wouldn’t say I’m an Eminem fan but I saw him at Lollapalooza in 2011 and he had a great set 

7 hours ago, Its Tino said:

Agree 100%. I've never gone out of my way to go to someone's gig who I didn't want to see, but I did stumble on Crowded House at a festival one year. I wasn't particularly interested until I saw them live. 

15 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Well, sometimes the wife likes music and I just tag along :lol:

Aerosmith is her favorite band. I have nothing against Aerosmith, but hardly listen to it myself. But I know all the songs they play... so there's that.

I have driven to Germany (from The Netherlands) just to see Aerosmith. I don't even do that for Guns N Roses.

On a positive note she also introduced me to The Black Crowes, which became one of my favorite bands and the band we have seen the most live.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Well, sometimes the wife likes music and I just tag along :lol:

Aerosmith is her favorite band. I have nothing against Aerosmith, but hardly listen to it myself. But I know all the songs they play... so there's that.

I have driven to Germany (from The Netherlands) just to see Aerosmith. I don't even do that for Guns N Roses.

On a positive note she also introduced me to The Black Crowes, which became one of my favorite bands and the band we have seen the most live.

Your mrs sounds cool! 

• Like 2

I'm not asking about past experiences, the question was how much people will spend to see a band they know little or nothing about.  Tori Amos is a good example, I used to love her first several albums but stopped a long time ago.  I might pay 100 dollars if that includes a t-shirt but any more than that, nope, I'll just never see her live.  Instead I'll pay rent and buy food.

A lot of people have those problems, so how much will people spend to see gnr play the only four song they know.

16 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Which is why I included...

GreatestHits_Guns'n'Roses.jpg

Here's the list of GNR's most streamed songs:

https://kworb.net/spotify/artist/3qm84nBOXUEQ2vnTfUTTFC_songs.html

Look at the top songs and then notice how quickly and sharply the stats nosedive.

People listening to rock stations the past 30 years doesn't mean they know deep cuts. Rock stations today pretty much stick to a very basic playlist consisting of major hits. While I rarely listen to radio anymore, last time I did I heard Thunderstruck. I wasn't surprised they weren't playing Fire Your Guns or Shot of Love.

I know those songs, you probably know those songs, but that group you see headed to the merch table more than likely does not. They're at the show to see Angus and hear Thunderstruck, Back In Black,  Hells Bells, and You Shook Me All Night Long while drinking a few beers, recording on their phone, and taking selfies.

This is the case with most bands today. It's all catered to casual audiences.

The GNR Twitter page sometimes asks before a show "What song do you want to hear?"

After the forum people get their requests in, what's left in the comments?  Casuals asking forJungle, SCOM, PC, NR....

The question is meant for them. They're not hoping me and you log in requesting Soul Monster and Oklahoma or deep cuts like Human Being and Perfect Crime.

Remember the jokes back in the day about people wearing Ramones, Motorhead, etc shirts but being unable to name more than 1 or 2 songs?

It's not really a joke anymore.

You could say this about any rock band since new rock isn't really mainstream anymore.

I don't know. You could ask this question outside any stadium as people are walking in.

Oh absolutely. 

I saw Nu-GNR once and was in a bar near to the Arena and a girl came to the bar next to me with a GNR shirt on so I said "looking forward to the gig?". 

She said "which gig?" and I told her well, the GNR gig, at the Arena. She said "oh, right, yeah....they're a band aren't they? I just bought the shirt."

I'd say it's more common than not these days for people wearing band shirts to know nothing about the band. 

Things have changed a lot! Used to be if you saw someone in a band shirt they'd be a massive fan. 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

I'm not asking about past experiences, the question was how much people will spend to see a band they know little or nothing about.  Tori Amos is a good example, I used to love her first several albums but stopped a long time ago.  I might pay 100 dollars if that includes a t-shirt but any more than that, nope, I'll just never see her live.  Instead I'll pay rent and buy food.

A lot of people have those problems, so how much will people spend to see gnr play the only four song they know.

I 100% see your point and obviously one’s financial situation comes into play. 

Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper are coming to my home state soon. I know probably 6 songs between them collectively. But that doesn’t mean I won’t enjoy the other songs in the set that I don’t know! I feel like us folks on forums are entirely more passionate about music than regular concert goers.

Another note lol… I saw Pearl Jam in 2011 I think it was. I knew some of the “big hits”. No more than 6 songs. I’m now a massive fan and much much more familiar with their catalog. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Its Tino said:

Right?! Here are the concerts that were my wife’s idea:

Eminem/Rhianna

Justin Timberlake (it was surprisingly good!)

Haha! Could be worse, Eminem has some tunes! Timberlake is a monster too. He’s got some enormous pop hits…

gotta ask… was Nuno playing with Rihanna?

Edited by Billy Cundy

2 hours ago, ChrisW said:

Usually money flows from one half of the population to another. Yes, a lot of people have money problems, but there is also a large group of people who only got richer / wealthier than they already were.

In The Netherlands we never had so many millionaires as we have now. I'm not one of them though.

100 euro's per ticket is pretty much my limit too.

4 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh absolutely. 

I saw Nu-GNR once and was in a bar near to the Arena and a girl came to the bar next to me with a GNR shirt on so I said "looking forward to the gig?". 

She said "which gig?" and I told her well, the GNR gig, at the Arena. She said "oh, right, yeah....they're a band aren't they? I just bought the shirt."

I'd say it's more common than not these days for people wearing band shirts to know nothing about the band. 

Things have changed a lot! Used to be if you saw someone in a band shirt they'd be a massive fan. 

Then you shot her right? As is customary for such people

2 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Haha! Could be worse, Eminem has some tunes! Timberlake is a monster too. He’s got some enormous pop hits…

gotta ask… was Nuno playing with Rihanna?

I have no idea she was wearing a sheer top and I was staring at her nipples on the big screen the entire set. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

“Such people” meaning “most people under 40.”

Sometimes a band shirt just looks cool. I hate the fucking Grateful Dead, but they have a badass logo and band name.

Not a big fan of Iron Maiden but had this poster a lifetime ago:

Iron_Maiden_-_Powerslave.jpg

Had no idea until now that I needed to be shot. :awesomeface:

This whole conversation reminds me of how so many people in today's world live in their own bubble/echo chamber, no offense to anyone.

A bubble where everyone in these stadiums live and breathe Guns N' Roses to the point of foaming at the mouth for deep cuts and 20 year old unheard, mythical epics instead of the reality where 99.9% of the crowd is there to hear a few classics and down a few beers.

That woman being mocked represents the majority of the crowd. I can see why TB ditched the forums for the casual crowds on social media.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Oh absolutely. 

I think the reason for this is band shirts being much more available than back in the day in places like Walmart, Kohl's, Target, Old Navy, H&M etc., back in the day you'd most likely have to go to a show or order a shirt through a catalog. 

Band shirts and logos are meant to be fashionable and eye-catching and I imagine most bands are cool either way since its advertising and they're likely making money off it.

13 minutes ago, mystery said:

I think the reason for this is band shirts being much more available than back in the day in places like Walmart, Kohl's, Target, Old Navy, H&M etc., back in the day you'd most likely have to go to a show or order a shirt through a catalog. 

Band shirts and logos are meant to be fashionable and eye-catching and I imagine most bands are cool either way since its advertising and they're likely making money off it.

You could buy band shirts and posters at the mall back in the day.

One of the main differences between now and then is people were far less judgmental back then.

In the 1990s guys would've wanted to fuck this woman in the GNR shirt who can't recite the TSI track list in her sleep. Today guys want to crucify or shoot her.   :shrugs:

Edited by Slugworth
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1