The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

3 hours ago, vloors said:

Yep and its not his fault there isnt any new album or songs.

I know he would love to have them out too. Same as duff.

Yep. He's being honest about it, but his status when it comes to doing anything seems to be about the same level as Fortus. 

He talks about the band like he's an employee.....which I suppose is pretty much the case now. 

• Like 1

I’ve said it here before, but I don’t think Slash has employee-only status. Axl now needs Slash more than Slash needs Axl. If Slash left, it would be the end of GN'R this time. Or can you honestly imagine another GN'R variant with some nameless, faceless guitarists (kinda like Ghost) selling out huge events? No way. Back in the day, Slash and co. were too wasted to even care any more, with all the people and lawyers around creating chaos etc. These days, I think he just doesn’t want to rock the boat, and when he feels the need, he can always do some solo, like now. But he’s not just an employee, and if he wanted, he could put some serious demands on Axl’s table – I mean, what’s he gonna do, fire him? 
But I guess this is just comfortable for all. However, if there ever was a time for a change, it’s now. I know, I know, we’ve heard this before. But this time the tour was being renewed ad nauseam for 7 or 8 years and now it’s legitimately finally finished. So whatever comes next in regard to the band’s touring, it should only be done on the premise of new music (no, not just another rehashed 20-year old demo) and a really new show.
I mean, that’s what would make sense...

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yep. He's being honest about it, but his status when it comes to doing anything seems to be about the same level as Fortus. 

He talks about the band like he's an employee.....which I suppose is pretty much the case now. 

Slash can't force the way Axl operates and it was like that at least since the Illusions era. That doesn't mean that he's the same level as Fortus or an employee.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jamillos said:

If Slash left, it would be the end of GN'R this time. Or can you honestly imagine another GN'R variant with some nameless, faceless guitarists (kinda like Ghost) selling out huge events? No way. 

Slash leaving wouldn't be good, of course. The band could, and probably would survive. It would likely be how it was 2011-2014, playing arenas and the like. It would be interesting to know what they would do with unreleased songs that Slash reworked, if he left. Restore Bucket and Robin's parts, and keep Duff? Who knows. I'm sure they would call Buckethead to see if he would want to return, which was rumored to occur a lot back in those days before NITL. I doubt he or Bumblefoot would ever come back. Doubtful on DJ Ashba too, as much as folks like him. ;) 

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Slash can't force the way Axl operates and it was like that at least since the Illusions era. That doesn't mean that he's the same level as Fortus or an employee.

I honestly don't think he's far off- just better paid. The way he refers to GNR are really telling. 

18 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

I honestly don't think he's far off- just better paid. The way he refers to GNR are really telling. 

Weren't you speculating the other day that the "CD leftovers" are being released because of pressure from Slash and Duff to Axl? Supposing for a minute that could be true, then the speculation that Slash is at about the same level as an employee would be contradictory. And vice versa. So there can't be truth to both these assumptions at the same time.

But I think neither is true. And regarding the way Slash responds about GN'R, it's just that he isn't comfortable answering these questions, because that's all he can answer knowing very well that there's not such thing as a "concrete plan" when Axl is part of the equation.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

The Village material doesn't have the attention to detail because the Village material represents an early snapshot of the songs. Just look at what happend to Sorry or Shackler's Revenge in the 8 years or so that passed from the Village versions were recorded until Chinese Democracy came out. Most of the songs only existed in an early form where the attention was on the general instrumental arrangements.

As I have said before, I think all of the four singles we have had could easily have replaced songs on Chinese Democracy. Replacing If The World, This I Love, Scraped and Riad, with Perhaps, Hardskool, Absurd and The General would have made that record much, much better... in my subjective opinion. Not only that, but these four singles are very varied from simple straight-forward rocker like Hardskool, to punkish rarity like Absurd, to mid-tempo and introspective piano-driven ballad like Perhaps, and to the more experimental fusion of styles with very heavy subject matter like The General. Not sure I agree they don't have the same "attention to detail" as songs off Chinese Democracy.

Your opinion on this is so garbage dude it's unbelievable. Calling Absurd a "punkish rarity" LMFAO 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Your opinion on this is so garbage dude it's unbelievable. Calling Absurd a "punkish rarity" LMFAO 

Well, they are opinions. I agree that Riad is one of the weaker songs (especially the 2008 album version), but This I Love is my personal top two CD songs, next to Better. I also love If The World, as a fun song and a great mix, and Scraped is also fun for me, Axl's vocal delivery is incredible on that song. The intro is strange though. I think CD suffered from over-production and some mixing issues, and poor timing on release. The Andy Wallace mixes of the tracks with full Buckethead leads would be my idea version of the album, and had it come out pre 2004, I think it would have been timed better. 

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It is not a punk song as such but in my opinion it absolutely conveys a punish sentiment. Rarity I used because I couldn't find the right English word :lol: I meant curiosa, but I don't know if that is an English word, either.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SoulMonster said:

It is not a punk song as such but in my opinion it absolutely conveys a punish sentiment. Rarity I used because I couldn't find the right English word :lol: I meant curiosa, but I don't know if that is an English word, either.

It’s a bit Prodigy -ish imo. I would describe it as electro punk, too. I think most CD fans who dislike Absurd, dislike it because of Axl‘s vocals and its repetitiveness. I don’t mind it. I dislike the main riff, which is pretty soulless imo, but Slash‘s leads are great and I still love the „Fuck You“ it meant to many fans 😅

4 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Absurd is fun, when I'm in the mood for it. It's enjoyable live too. :) I actually like Slash's work on it too. 

I like Absurd. Liked it even more when it was Silkworms and more experimental. But to say it could replace a song on CD I think is ABSURD

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I like Absurd. Liked it even more when it was Silkworms and more experimental. But to say it could replace a song on CD I think is ABSURD

There isn’t a single song on CD that wasn’t fleshed out lyrically. Absurd, The General and even Perhaps are no way as good lyrically as any of the songs on CD. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

For me it could easily replace 6 tracks on CD. Saying it couldn’t is ABSURD.

6 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

It could have found its way on there, and not been out of place... But thank the heavens it didn't!😄 I'm sure it was much worse before Slash and Duff improved it.

54 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

There isn’t a single song on CD that wasn’t fleshed out lyrically. Absurd, The General and even Perhaps are no way as good lyrically as any of the songs on CD. 

Huh? There are some great lyrics in CD ...

15 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Gross

The employees are told to lie about doing an album and this is just flipping through a few years worth of quotes.  There's a lot more of this for the last thirty years.

"[Guns] were supposed to do some stuff this month [February], but we haven't done anything up till now and in March I'm gone [on tour]. Maybe [there's still time] in February, if we can come to some sort of an agreement as to what we're gonna do." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

"When this tour ends, it's a six-month tour, in August, I'll go home and basically, we'll regroup, so to speak. And then, Guns will probably spend a little bit of time in the studio, and then we'll be on the road for a while." (Slash, 06/05/95)

"[Slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. "It's amazing stuff," he says." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"Guns N' Roses is back working together again, according to bassist Duff McKagan... "We've been in for two weeks as a full band with Slash and Axl (Rose) and me... Dizzy Reed is also back." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"With Guns, there's no problems with material. The problem has always been getting us in the same room. So now that we're in there, it's rockin'." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"So far, Slash and McKagan say the band has worked up about 16 songs, and the bassist reports that: 'the material is really strong...This record is going to fuckin' rock. There's nothing like the chemistry of Guns when we're in the same room.'" (Total Guitar, 01/97)

"H.R.: Duff told us that the deadline is for Spring 97...
Matt: Absolutely! We want to tour next summer. [...] And now, we work together and an album will be released in 97." (Matt, 09/23/96)

• Like 2
  • Wow 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Weren't you speculating the other day that the "CD leftovers" are being released because of pressure from Slash and Duff to Axl? Supposing for a minute that could be true, then the speculation that Slash is at about the same level as an employee would be contradictory. And vice versa. So there can't be truth to both these assumptions at the same time.

But I think neither is true. And regarding the way Slash responds about GN'R, it's just that he isn't comfortable answering these questions, because that's all he can answer knowing very well that there's not such thing as a "concrete plan" when Axl is part of the equation.

Yeah I think he'd probably putting pressure on (same with Duff) but it doesn't seem to have much impact. 

My view on it is Slash is very much an employee, but one which the company knows is valuable and couldn't lose. Fortus is an employee too but more expendable. 

That's just the way it appears to me -it's the Axl brand and show all the way. 

7 minutes ago, allwaystired said:

Yeah I think he'd probably putting pressure on (same with Duff) but it doesn't seem to have much impact. 

My view on it is Slash is very much an employee, but one which the company knows is valuable and couldn't lose. Fortus is an employee too but more expendable. 

That's just the way it appears to me -it's the Axl brand and show all the way. 

They don’t promote the band that way, though and Slash said he never signed a contract (which would have made him an employee). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I would love it if a Silkworms version exists without the long intro and has all of Buckethead's parts, and the full lyrics we initially heard live. 

1 hour ago, ChrisW said:

The employees are told to lie about doing an album and this is just flipping through a few years worth of quotes.  There's a lot more of this for the last thirty years.

"[Guns] were supposed to do some stuff this month [February], but we haven't done anything up till now and in March I'm gone [on tour]. Maybe [there's still time] in February, if we can come to some sort of an agreement as to what we're gonna do." (Slash, Metal Edge Magazine, 04/95)

"When this tour ends, it's a six-month tour, in August, I'll go home and basically, we'll regroup, so to speak. And then, Guns will probably spend a little bit of time in the studio, and then we'll be on the road for a while." (Slash, 06/05/95)

"[Slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. "It's amazing stuff," he says." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"Guns N' Roses is back working together again, according to bassist Duff McKagan... "We've been in for two weeks as a full band with Slash and Axl (Rose) and me... Dizzy Reed is also back." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"With Guns, there's no problems with material. The problem has always been getting us in the same room. So now that we're in there, it's rockin'." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"So far, Slash and McKagan say the band has worked up about 16 songs, and the bassist reports that: 'the material is really strong...This record is going to fuckin' rock. There's nothing like the chemistry of Guns when we're in the same room.'" (Total Guitar, 01/97)

"H.R.: Duff told us that the deadline is for Spring 97...
Matt: Absolutely! We want to tour next summer. [...] And now, we work together and an album will be released in 97." (Matt, 09/23/96)

It’s so fuckin sad reading this.

In an alternate timeline, we got 2000 intentions and another record or two after that.

This band fucked itself royally in the ass

• Like 4