The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

35 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Got it. Yeah, I do like this sudden section changes, probably very Radiohead inspired as you said. I believe those songs were all being written during the Ok Computer and Kid A era, and Axl was reportedly at a Radiohead concert back when he was MIA in late 90s. 

At the same time, those changes are not uncommon for GNR. I think of things like Rocket Queen (the slide/sex part) or even demos like Ain't Goin' Down. The CD era stuff was probably arranged and edited on Pro Tools, though. 

Pro tools is the main reason why they sound so disjointed. If it wasn't so easy to move things around, they'd have had to cut it on the floor and make it smoother... Although I have a feeling it sounds exactly as Axl wanted it, so what can you say really, it's his song😄

• GNFNR 1

17 hours ago, vloors said:

Yea i remember Axls original plan but I dont feel he ever finished those vocals for that many tracks.

Mostly what we have after CD is recycled verses on songs,  copy paste vocals from other tracks and highly edited vocals. Feels like they are putting vocal scraps together to make songs then them being actually already completed and ready to go. (Except for that one gem Monsters).

It seems to be a trend for people to assume only the songs that have leaked or been released are the ones that had vocals finished. Aside of what bandmembers have said, for all we know there could be a dozen or more songs completed, with vocals. We do know in 2006 Axl said they were working on 32 songs, 26 being nearly done. In 2014 he said the remix album and the second part of Chinese have been recorded for a long time, AND they were working on material subsequent to Chinese. 

At the very least, I'd say Guns has half a dozen additional songs completed with vocals, and has had them for many, many years. Examples of possible titles would be Tonto, Monstrocity, Cuban Skies, Berlin. Seven, he probably finished Quick Song (assuming it doesn't exist as Monstrocity) same with Zodiac, etc. 

39 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It seems to be a trend for people to assume only the songs that have leaked or been released are the ones that had vocals finished. Aside of what bandmembers have said, for all we know there could be a dozen or more songs completed, with vocals. We do know in 2006 Axl said they were working on 32 songs, 26 being nearly done. In 2014 he said the remix album and the second part of Chinese have been recorded for a long time, AND they were working on material subsequent to Chinese. 

At the very least, I'd say Guns has half a dozen additional songs completed with vocals, and has had them for many, many years. Examples of possible titles would be Tonto, Monstrocity, Cuban Skies, Berlin. Seven, he probably finished Quick Song (assuming it doesn't exist as Monstrocity) same with Zodiac, etc. 

It depends what they consider 'complete'. A song like State Of Grace has complete lyrics, but was never mentioned by anyone around the band. The General feels very incomplete, but was hyped by people around the band.

We've read claims of Axl having anywhere from dozens to hundreds of 'finished' songs, but for all we know most of them are as lyrically complete as Eye On You. :shrugs:

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't mean the chorus especially, I just mean that all those songs have these sections forced into them like the ambient section in Absurd or slow down section in the hardskool solo. Then there's Atlas that actually has cool parts but the way they are stuck together doesn't sound natural, I'm talking specifically about the verse going to the chorus section... For me each time I hear it, I'm taken out of the flow. I know what they were going for (Radiohead, Soundgarden) choppy changey sections, but I don't think it works.

But yeah Perhaps is a good song throughout (I'll even give the solo a pass), and the chorus in Hardskool is the best thing about the song

If you look at Rocket Queen, Jungle, and even It's So Easy, that slow down section in a GNR rock song has always been their style.  

2 hours ago, Draguns said:

If you look at Rocket Queen, Jungle, and even It's So Easy, that slow down section in a GNR rock song has always been their style.  

It's quite a different thing we're talking about though. There's playing half time etc. what I'm getting at is does it work in that particular song, and to me the answer is no. In ISE, RQ, Jungle they are songs that were written and rewritten and test drived on the stage and then recorded so they knew what felt good and what needed to be changed and the result was 3 great songs, these other songs weren't made that way and it just sounds exactly the process that made them. To me those 3 examples lift the song, the other examples from the cd village stuff does the opposite (for me).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

It's quite a different thing we're talking about though. There's playing half time etc. what I'm getting at is does it work in that particular song, and to me the answer is no. In ISE, RQ, Jungle they are songs that were written and rewritten and test drived on the stage and then recorded so they knew what felt good and what needed to be changed and the result was 3 great songs, these other songs weren't made that way and it just sounds exactly the process that made them. To me those 3 examples lift the song, the other examples from the cd village stuff does the opposite (for me).

The changes on the new songs don’t harmonise. They’re not well written imo. That’s the biggest issue with The General aside from the production but that was actually an issue on CD itself. Even good songs like Better and TWAT started as strange sounding tunes.

8 hours ago, Free Bird said:

The changes on the new songs don’t harmonise. They’re not well written imo. That’s the biggest issue with The General aside from the production but that was actually an issue on CD itself. Even good songs like Better and TWAT started as strange sounding tunes.

I'd argue the transitions glue together more cohesively on a lot of the Chinese album. Even in the breakdown in better where it's a complete change of groove etc. it still sounds like a band performance though. 

But I agree that there are spots on the record where this ugliness shows its ugly head

32 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I'd argue the transitions glue together more cohesively on a lot of the Chinese album. Even in the breakdown in better where it's a complete change of groove etc. it still sounds like a band performance though. 

But I agree that there are spots on the record where this ugliness shows its ugly head

The breakdown in Better is a highlight of  that record and it fits musically. I was talking about the strange sounding start of the song.

3 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Yeah. Sounds like him to me. But I've been wrong before.

Thanks! Hopefully if they put out an album it will have the players listed in each song like the Illusions did. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Thanks! Hopefully if they put out an album it will have the players listed in each song like the Illusions did. 

Indeed. I think they did that with some of the NITL singles. CD's booklet also had all the information. 

• Like 1

Why have they not released these on audio cassette tape yet? They did for Hard Skool with Absurd and two live songs. Would be nice to listen to these songs in my car. Maybe it's because the new album will have them all and be coming out soon?

12 hours ago, Free Bird said:

The breakdown in Better is a highlight of  that record and it fits musically. I was talking about the strange sounding start of the song.

Ah I always loved the intro, but I agree that breakdown is a highlight of the album. Still remember hearing for the first time seeing gnr in 2006 and thinking it was fucking epic!

25 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Why have they not released these on audio cassette tape yet? They did for Hard Skool with Absurd and two live songs. Would be nice to listen to these songs in my car. Maybe it's because the new album will have them all and be coming out soon?

Hopefully when they've finished with the remaining songs, they compile everything onto a CD release. I'm doubtful of it happening given the response, but a limited run would sell.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Hopefully when they've finished with the remaining songs, they compile everything onto a CD release. I'm doubtful of it happening given the response, but a limited run would sell.

It would be a massive flop, that's for sure.

48 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Flop or not, it'd be good for the fans. If they wanna stay away from financial and critical failures, they should record a straightforward nostalgia rock album with a minimum budget, something to market as "old school", "no frills" and "vintage". And still, no matter how great the songs, it probably wouldn't be a huge hit. At best, they have a song in a blockbuster movie, a good tour and good press.

• Thanks 1

Unsure about an album coming, but would love to see Atlas/Monsters & OMG on a single release. 

That would poetically tie up the CD era/hybrid songs, and have their first song without Slash.... With Slash. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 1:51 AM, tboneman said:

Francis Ford Coppola is finally going to release his Megalopolis passion project that he started in 1983. So I guess there's hope for everything 😄

Wow, FFC's journey to make Megalopolis seems to be eerily similar to the journey WAR used to make Chinese Democracy. 

Read this article 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/movies/2024/05/16/megalopolis-cannes-francis-ford-coppola/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

This never ending speculation about which old ass chinese leftover turd may or may not be released someday is sooo lame and boring at this point, fucking hell! XD

For real, I can't remember who it was, but somebody on here coined the phrase "ancient song titles" once and I have been using it ever since.

13 hours ago, El Guapo said:

A "new" album by Guns would probably do pretty well, especially promoted reasonably. Probably at least as successful as the previous Guns album in 2008, if they promote it well enough, of course. At worst, it would underperform, but be far from a flop. Guns is like Star Wars, they could release blank CDs and still sell people on it because of the brand alone. 

Regardless of the content itself (most likely CD2 stuff, reworked with the current lineup in part or whole) they will probably market it as the first album by the band since TSI, or CD, depending on how they want to spin it. They can't say original lineup, or even the "classic" lineup since Izzy and Steven are mostly out of the picture.

At the very least, I hope they mix and master it reasonably well. I miss the days where we only had to worry about how many Bucket parts Bumble recorded over. Now, it's so much worse. Because on top of some uninspired playing by Slash on top of these songs (can't blame him for that, they simply are not his songs) we also have to worry about awful production, as indicated by The General, and Hard Skool. Perhaps was produced reasonably well, Absurd, not too bad but to a lesser extent. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, DannyVinyard said:

We would have had CD II years ago if it wasn't for the cash grab reunion. 

Possibly....suppose by necessity....touring wouldn't be possible beyond theaters without some kinda product to promote and serious pushes...weird to think! I actually truly thought Slash returning would really speed up NEW music 😂