The "New Album" Thread. Thanks to the long ass thread, I’m going home!

21 minutes ago, fabrph5 said:

the ONLY reason it sounded better was Axl's voice was better.  

That is part of it, however, DJ Ashba clearly respected the songs enough to actually perform This I Love well, and others. And that band played Shackler's. I don't know why they won't today. Fortus should be able to handle the lead guitar for that song. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, lunastar said:

Does Axl need Slash for an album if such a one was being prepared? Just a thought

He doesn't need Slash regardless of current trends, as I'm sure every song they will work on and/or have worked on has had completed Bucket/Robin/Bumble/Other leads for many years. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

That is part of it, however, DJ Ashba clearly respected the songs enough to actually perform This I Love well, and others. And that band played Shackler's. I don't know why they won't today. Fortus should be able to handle the lead guitar for that song. 

maybe cause it's not really Slash's style? technically the band can handle it but doesn't sound like something Slash would play, but it's just a guess. Duff did play it iirc.

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

He doesn't need Slash regardless of current trends, as I'm sure every song they will work on and/or have worked on has had completed Bucket/Robin/Bumble/Other leads for many years. 

"and I'm working with them in that capacity" - Slash

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Rovim said:

I consider it good "news", at least something is probably happening and it seems Axl will go for it. honestly, it sounds about right and what I thought was going to happen.

Of course you would say this. NOTHING new was said here, it is by definition NOT news. We've been getting these same bullshit answers for YEARS now from Slash and for over a DECADE by the band in general. HALF WAY THROUGH  !!!!!! 2024 !!!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Of course you would say this. NOTHING new was said here, it is by definition NOT news. We've been getting these same bullshit answers for YEARS now from Slash and for over a DECADE by the band in general. HALF WAY THROUGH  !!!!!! 2024 !!!!!!!

it's happening.

They’re going to release an album eventually. They’ll eventually go into the studio with the intention of recording one. If they do one song or 20 songs is a toss up, but they’ll have CD leftovers and covers to fill up a record if the sessions aren’t productive.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

'With them' and 'make their' like he is a completely separate entity from Guns and just there to add a solo when it's done. The way he has said this makes it seem as if it is chinese leftovers as a full album. 

He didn't say 'We' or 'Our' - i wouldn't even call that politics or detach. That's like he's not even the band. 

who knows from what a potential new Gn'R album could consist of: old material, new material, a combination of both, but in any case, it's Axl's Gn'R and I think should it ever be completed and released it's Axl who is going to be the one who makes a lot of choices and approves the final product. Slash and Duff joined Axl's band.

maybe you're right and these are initial stages where Slash doesn't play a central role but that could change. all I know is there have been too many people talking about things in motion, bringing it up on their own if it's Duff, Slash or people close to the band. something is going on.

whatever it is, it would probably take a long time, but this is not nothing imho. I think it means at the very least that Axl has not lost interest in making a new Gn'R record in some capacity - a reality at some point in the future.

there are many things Axl can do to progress when it comes to working on a new Gn'R record that don't require Slash and/or Duff to be there.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Blackstar said:

In most of the recent interviews though Slash brought it up himself, without being asked.

Weeell, that doesn’t say much, though, does it. After all, we don’t know what "agreements" precede any given interview. Like "hey, I know you guys don’t wanna talk about the album-making process / new material too much, so just feel free to throw in any tidbits you feel like at any time" etc. 
It is something, but... not exactly of a high information value imo.

Edited by jamillos

27 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

Posters like @Rovim, @Draguns, @EvanG, ect. are incapable of objectivity. They basically function as press secretaries for the band.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • ABSUЯD 1

1 minute ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

Posters like @Rovim, @Draguns, @EvanG, ect. are incapable of objectivity. They basically function as press secretaries for the band.

I try to be as objective as I can. I have nothing to gain from not stating my real Gn'R opinions. maybe we just see it differently.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"Working with them in that capacity" is a very odd thing to say. 

It does sort of feel that he's totally checked out of it creatively. Which isn't a big surprise really. I imagine he's as baffled and frustrated as the rest of us at GNR's inability to even release a NITL live album, let alone anything truly new.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Rovim said:

maybe you're right and these are initial stages where Slash doesn't play a central role but that could change. all I know is there have been too many people talking about things in motion, bringing it up on their own if it's Duff, Slash or people close to the band. something is going on.

whatever it is, it would probably take a long time, but this is not nothing imho. I think it means at the very least that Axl has not lost interest in making a new Gn'R record in some capacity - a reality at some point in the future.

I worry it's more slash isn't playing any role. 

A long time indeed, it's been 16 years (or 8 depending on where you want to count from) but it can't be that much longer. Axl is 62 and sounds 72. Slash has died several times and his heart and lifestyle pre 2010  dont suggest a man living well into his 70s. There isn't loads of time to play with.  And the longer it takes, the more pressure. We all make the assumption that the longer something takes the better it must be, but GnR have already proven this not to be the case. 

shame they can't just bang it out in a couple weeks and release it straight away.

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

I worry it's more slash isn't playing any role. 

A long time indeed, it's been 16 years (or 8 depending on where you want to count from) but it can't be that much longer. Axl is 62 and sounds 72. Slash has died several times and his heart and lifestyle pre 2010  dont suggest a man living well into his 70s. There isn't loads of time to play with.  And the longer it takes, the more pressure. We all make the assumption that the longer something takes the better it must be, but GnR have already proven this not to be the case. 

shame they can't just bang it out in a couple weeks and release it straight away.

banging it out in a couple of weeks is just not an approach Axl seems interested in taking. at least not when it comes to Gn'R material.

there's a lot of interpretation and speculation and shit could always change, but the way I see it, there is plenty of resources including time to complete and release a final Gn'R album.

is it impossible that Axl, for example, chose to put together a few ideas of his own on piano, or work with individual members in the band that are not Slash and Duff? kinda like he did with Chinese, sometimes working one on one with Pitman or Paul or even a more basic thing like going back and listening to old material and maybe a few new ideas.

the issue here is that Axl is not talking and his reputation as an active musician who releases music on a regular basis is not good. this can put even the most positive shit in a bad light like the boy who cried wolf, but it doesn't mean that it won't happen.

I get the skepticism, but my guess is that if nothing was going on in the new music department then nobody would talk about it, certainly not in this way like Slash and Duff are talking about it. if nothing happened, wouldn't it be better for them to not say anything at all and avoid the question?

they're not too old yet to make it happen so I'm not going to say it's never going to happen when there are certain indications that the opposite is true, or at least that the intention of eventually releasing a complete album is there and some of the band members or Axl and crew already started that process.

Edited by Rovim

Posted (edited)

Anyways, output is still way too slow but we have objectively gotten way more content since the reunion

1. 4 “new” studio tracks

2. Sound City Sessions and some other odds and ends from the 80s including the kick- ass Shadow of Your Love recording 

3. Two complete shows as live albums (Ritz 91 and Vegas 92, with a Bluray of the Ritz)

Thats all some really good shit. I’d argue that Sound City and the live shows are essential for diehards

From 2009-2014 they just put out the Appetite for Democracy show on video and CD

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3

Just now, DeNfr said:

funny how a lot of GNR fans considered CD era band as Axl & his hired
hands and now that they reunited Slash basically says he's a hired hand

not really. Slash is a partner, maybe not equal to Axl, but he's not a hired hand. He has for example, more power within the band compared to the actual hired hands which are everyone in the lineup except Axl, Slash, and Duff, but it seems like when it comes to the music in Gn'R, it's Axl who is the driver, he decides the direction it's going to take and the framework of it, when to do what and which ideas to use, that's his final say.

1 hour ago, JimiRose said:

'With them' and 'make their' like he is a completely separate entity from Guns and just there to add a solo when it's done. The way he has said this makes it seem as if it is chinese leftovers as a full album. 

He didn't say 'We' or 'Our' - i wouldn't even call that politics or detach. That's like he's not even the band. 

Exactly. He's basically a guest musician on Axl's songs. 

All these years of people saying Slash and Duff aren't just hired hands, they have input into the lol creative process, etc. and it seems that after 8 years, Slash still has no more influence than Bumblefoot did. He obviously wants to do a record, but knows it's not his decision. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, allwaystired said:

"Working with them in that capacity" is a very odd thing to say. 

It does sort of feel that he's totally checked out of it creatively. Which isn't a big surprise really. I imagine he's as baffled and frustrated as the rest of us at GNR's inability to even release a NITL live album, let alone anything truly new.

That's the vibe, yeah. He's like "whatever" at this point. Very easy to read between the lines.

If anything, it's gonna be all Chinese leftovers, incl. the (rather shitty) songs they put out already. Nothing to get excited about.

• Like 1

Slash said he wanted to make a brand new Gn'R record no? I wonder what Axl chose to go with if it's true that he plans to work on a full album. if it's just more rerecording of old material, or something more.

I'd like it to at least be partly brand new stuff and I don't see how it could all be just Chinese era material that is similar to what we got with the singles, more of the same presented as a full album. 

• Haha 1