06/24/23 - Pilton, GB - Glastonbury Festival **TIMES & STREAM INFO IN FIRST POST**

alfierose

5 minutes ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

Arctic Monkeys are getting the piss ripped out of them on social media - looks like  GnR has a chance of not being the worst headliner this weekend 

Just about to say that. Mardy Bum was awful. Turner has disappeared up his own arse. 

Really flat set. I think Guns have a chance if they pick the right songs, at least Axl has energy. Just needs his voice to turn up.

1 minute ago, marinergtfc said:

yey, you’re not wrong, they are getting slaughtered.

….open goal for gn’r? 

He can't hit any of the high notes due to his illness....he was hitting them the other week, so that's clear....falsetto must be hard with laryngitis. Also they tend to play a lot of their newer tunes and the jury is out on that....sure they'll end on the classics though. It does benefit GNR to have a first night 6/10 set though, that's for sure!

• Haha 1

Arctic monkeys have been so lacklustre. I havent seen any of their tour, so this could be the laryngitis, but terrible pacing and slowing all songs and no energy at all. Twitter are destroying them too. The british public are turning on them. This could be good for gnr, coz the bar is low. however, it also shows how easily they could get trashed online in masses

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Arctic monkeys have been so lacklustre. I havent seen any of their tour, so this could be the laryngitis, but terrible pacing and slowing all songs and no energy at all. Twitter are destroying them too. The british public are turning on them. This could be good for gnr, coz the bar is low. however, it also shows how easily they could get trashed online in masses

They've been slowing the tempo of the old tunes for almost 10 years now, as a style.choice. Alex changed his voice, to try and sound like a crooning Bowie and get away from the early rock....on record I actually like some of the new album. It's got some classy production, as an alt. Album.

Edited by colonizedmind

I'm in the minority apparently, but I loved every moment of the set. I saw them live last Sunday at Emirates Stadium (had Miles Kane come out for 505 which was a treat). 

Alex Turner is certainly an acquired taste, especially of late, but I sit firmly in the camp that loves his modern persona, the approach to older songs as well as the more modern albums. Tranquility Base was certainly a slow burner but once you get beyond the whole "where are the guitars", it's a ballsy as fuck album that rewards relistening. 

Appreciate that this is a GNR forum, but I personally think that the Arctic Monkeys are a far more relevant and important band to the current landscape than GNR are (and have been for some time). 

Cue the dislikes. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bucketmaster101 said:

I'm in the minority apparently, but I loved every moment of the set. I saw them live last Sunday at Emirates Stadium (had Miles Kane come out for 505 which was a treat). 

Alex Turner is certainly an acquired taste, especially of late, but I sit firmly in the camp that loves his modern persona, the approach to older songs as well as the more modern albums. Tranquility Base was certainly a slow burner but once you get beyond the whole "where are the guitars", it's a ballsy as fuck album that rewards relistening. 

Appreciate that this is a GNR forum, but I personally think that the Arctic Monkeys are a far more relevant and important band to the current landscape than GNR are (and have been for some time). 

Cue the dislikes. 

For the Brits, and especially Glasto attendees, AM are absolutely much bigger and well known, no doubt about it 

1 minute ago, kanecrescente said:

For the Brits, and especially Glasto attendees, AM are absolutely much bigger and well known, no doubt about it 

I think aside from audience recognition, their levels of influence are quite telling. 

GNR were perhaps unfortunate to have existed as rock was dying and so their level on influence on popular music wasn't felt too much beyond their original lifespan. 

Compare that to the Arctic Monkeys who basically influenced all "Indie" music that came after them. The only band in the "rock" genre I can think of that has been more influential in recent times would be Tame Impala who basically shaped a lot of pop and rock music that is currently popular. 

Just my opinion and again coming from a Brit so what do I know? 

10 hours ago, bucketmaster101 said:

Cue the dislikes. 

I like "The Car"....think it's pretty brave to stick the middle finger up at your devout fan base, not just once but twice! 

The latest LP has some dreamy type moments....tonight was ok but quite slow and patchy for that slot. His voice was also suffering a bit too IMO.

Edited by colonizedmind

3 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Oh gnr will be trashed too, but it is good for them that AM didn't put on a great show. There are going to be plenty of videos of Axl struggling through WTTJ. I hope he knocks it out of the park, but he can't just magic his voice back over night. He needs someone to walk him through rehabilitation and build the blocks step by step over the course of a few months.... Maybe being slated by the press would be a motivator? My guess is that if Axl gets slated he'll lose his current motivation and we'll be 10 steps backwards from the possibility of new music. Hoping it's a great performance though!

12 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Noels last album was just beaten to number 1 by Foo fighters, but he's still a big deal, maybe sub headlines festivals. Liam headlined reading and leeds and sells out stadiums an outdoor venues and every album has been number 1. Oasis are still the holy grail in british culture. Their reunion would probably selling 10 million tickets here alone. 

I like that comment, "are still the holy grail in british culture" and the more I talk with people from the UK the more I realise that. I'm late to the Oasis party, but definitely get what all the fuss is about. Knebworth in 96 was it, was massive. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimiRose said:

Beady eyes first album was great, the roller, kill for a dream etc. really odd that it didnt really capture the public. i think Oasis were so in everyones faces and people were pissed with the break up, people had enough. They'd oversaturated. 13 years later people are thirsty again!

Love Beady Eye's second album, it had killer singles imo 

• Like 1

Whatever happens tonight, I just hope they don't play it safe.

A 1-2 of ISE and BO would be an amazing statement - a 'Fuck Off' and  'Cunt' within the first 6 minutes of a headlining Glastonbury slot!

Metallica got a bit spooked by the Glastonbury headline pressure and leaned heavily on the Black Album - I hope GNR don't do this.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, paulor666 said:

Whatever happens tonight, I just hope they don't play it safe.

A 1-2 of ISE and BO would be an amazing statement - a 'Fuck Off' and  'Cunt' within the first 6 minutes of a headlining Glastonbury slot!

Metallica got a bit spooked by the Glastonbury headline pressure and leaned heavily on the Black Album - I hope GNR don't do this.

Funnily enough I've just been having the same conversation with my wife about them opening with ISE. Not sure how that  would go down with all the snowflakes there. Turn around non binary person I've got a use for you 😂

They might even open with down on the farm, it's got the energy in it. Or could we get the old opener perfect crime?

5 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

I like that comment, "are still the holy grail in british culture" and the more I talk with people from the UK the more I realise that. I'm late to the Oasis party, but definitely get what all the fuss is about. Knebworth in 96 was it, was massive. 

It can be frustrating. Those first two albums are unbelievable. every song is one of the best songs ever written in british rock. it was inevitably more hit and miss after that, but every single thing either one of them says is still massive in the press and somehow theyve managed to get a big 16-24 modern audience. its not just their generation that are fans. 

4 hours ago, jimisbatman said:

Love Beady Eye's second album, it had killer singles imo 

Yeah was a solid effort. Still preferred their debut, but is mad they didnt achieve much success, considering how big high flying birds and liams solo have been

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

23 minutes ago, JimiRose said:

Yeah was a solid effort. Still preferred their debut, but is mad they didnt achieve much success, considering how big high flying birds and liams solo have been

Beady Eye really had a lot going against them. They initially refused to play any Oasis songs live until well after people had stopped going to their shows, Liam's voice was possibly the worst it'd ever been, and the songs just were nowhere as good as those released by Noel. 

Nowadays Liam has gotten a huge audience by staging live shows that are as close in spirit as modern audiences can get to an Oasis show.