Complaints, complaints, complaints!

17 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

A routine of album, talk show appearance(s), tour, break, album, talk show appearance(s), tour... would make them a predictable corporate entity.

We have no idea what they're doing or when they're doing it, unluke almost every other major act today. No interviews? That keeps us guessing. Absurd, who saw that coming? The will there/won't there be on a new album, Glastonbury came a bit out of nowhere, as did Slash and Duff's return really...

So many bands/acts are rinse and repeat. Yes, GN'R tour endlessly and that's somewhat tedious, but as for anything else, we never know what's really going on.

Mind you, they could release an album every two years and do regular interviews and the 'fanbase' would still find something to moan about 😂

We do have an idea what they’re doing. Touring and selling overpriced merch. That’s it. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

22 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Not sure how saying "the band did sod all promotion for it" implies there was some promotion carried out? 

To my mind there was indeed nothing, other than the band playing them on stage and mentioning it on twitter/Facebook etc. 

I'm not British, but I'm pretty sure that,"Sod all,"  means they did nothing at all.🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Karice said:

I'm not British, but I'm pretty sure that,"Sod all,"  means they did nothing at all.🤔

it does mean that, like "fuck all", but he used that expression ("sod all") in a previous post to convey that he thought the band basically did zero promotion for Absurd and HS. Then, a poster replied that the post containing the "sod all" expression implied that Gn'R did promote it which allwaystired questioned the logic of that conclusion with his "nothing at all" post.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2023 at 12:10 PM, Gibson87 said:

The wasted potential. If not for the substance abuse and infighting, this band could have put out some incredible music after UYI. It's the same story with the '99-'02 lineup- they were so talented but only managed to get one album out 6 years after the lineup dissolved. I think something that will always haunt the band's legacy is what could have been. 

Those same things are what gave us the AFD-UYI era. It wouldn't have been the same band if there was no substance abuse and they all had calm personalities and were best friends.

If Axl thought two lame singles would be a commercial success it's a bad sign of how artistically dead he and the band are. I see a lot of praise that the Hardskool demo sounds so much better than the current version, I can't believe Axl was convinced to release Absurd and that this song would be well received, it was hated twenty years ago so nothing has changed. Axl promoted UYY in many ways in the 90's, personally he got involved in various confusions and endless speeches between one song and another, musically he promoted it by giving several interviews and Geffen helped and got in the game to promote the album massively. And I even think that Axl tried to promote the CD in some way, doing practically the same formula as in the 90s, but the band was no longer the same, nor was Axl.

1 hour ago, TheSlashrose said:

If Axl thought two lame singles would be a commercial success it's a bad sign of how artistically dead he and the band are. I see a lot of praise that the Hardskool demo sounds so much better than the current version, I can't believe Axl was convinced to release Absurd and that this song would be well received, it was hated twenty years ago so nothing has changed. Axl promoted UYY in many ways in the 90's, personally he got involved in various confusions and endless speeches between one song and another, musically he promoted it by giving several interviews and Geffen helped and got in the game to promote the album massively. And I even think that Axl tried to promote the CD in some way, doing practically the same formula as in the 90s, but the band was no longer the same, nor was Axl.

To be fair, Axl had first mentioned releasing Absurd in 2013. He's working at an 8 year, give or take, pace. 

• GNFNR 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:52 AM, GnR Chris said:

I really do think they named the beer after Duff McKagan whether they admit to it now or not. Reiss pretending to have never heard of him is hilarious. It’s in their best interests to publicly refute it when asked.

Scene: Writers room, 1988

Writer 1: ‘ahh lads I know our entire show is about satirising the portrayal of working class families in 80s sitcoms and the sociopolitical climate of small town life in America, but I really think we need to pay tribute to the bass player of a new LA rock band???’

Writer 2: ‘yeah of course, no brainer! shall we run it by him? Or shall we just do it because it’s an untrademarked noun’

Writer 1: ‘No, let’s run it by him for no reason, and then deny it years later, even though we aren’t liable for any legal recourse’

Writer 2: ‘Ok! But what’s the comedy value of name checking this random bassist? Is it like rainier wolfcastle where we can use it as a gateway to parody Schwarzenegger action movies and poke fun at Hollywood?’

Writer 1: ‘Um well sometimes the singer calls him the king of beers? So that’s like.. umm… funny right?‘

Writer 2: ‘oh.. ok… do we reference duff himself ever in the show? Which we are free to do, as satirists we spend a lot of time lambasting celebrities anyway?’

writer 1: ‘nope, not once. Never.’

End scene. Tell you what, never mind all that, what about the guy who’s telling us this happened? Reliable source? Oh right, chronic alcoholic and drug abuser at the time. Gotcha. Who’s the guy saying it’s bollocks? Oh the showrunner at the time? Had been involved with the series from conception?

“Yeah but he’s protecting himself and the show from litigation”

... mike reiss .. who hasn’t worked for Disney or fox or the show since 2007??

ThIs iS a ToUgH OnE, JuST CaNt CaLL iT TbH 🤪

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rovim said:

it does mean that, like "fuck all", but he used that expression ("sod all") in a previous post to convey that he thought the band basically did zero promotion for Absurd and HS. Then, a poster replied that the post containing the "sod all" expression implied that Gn'R did promote it which allwaystired questioned the logic of that conclusion with his "nothing at all" post.

Yeah, that's about. Thanks! 

I thought 'sod all's was a bit more widely used. Perhaps not! 

10 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

Those same things are what gave us the AFD-UYI era. It wouldn't have been the same band if there was no substance abuse and they all had calm personalities and were best friends.

Its why I wonder what a Guns N' Roses album would even be like in the present? There was all sorts of personal turmoil and experiences to draw from during 87-93 and even with Chinese Democracy which feels autobiographical in parts regarding Axl. 

7 hours ago, Billy Cundy said:

Scene: Writers room, 1988

Writer 1: ‘ahh lads I know our entire show is about satirising the portrayal of working class families in 80s sitcoms and the sociopolitical climate of small town life in America, but I really think we need to pay tribute to the bass player of a new LA rock band???’

Writer 2: ‘yeah of course, no brainer! shall we run it by him? Or shall we just do it because it’s an untrademarked noun’

Writer 1: ‘No, let’s run it by him for no reason, and then deny it years later, even though we aren’t liable for any legal recourse’

Writer 2: ‘Ok! But what’s the comedy value of name checking this random bassist? Is it like rainier wolfcastle where we can use it as a gateway to parody Schwarzenegger action movies and poke fun at Hollywood?’

Writer 1: ‘Um well sometimes the singer calls him the king of beers? So that’s like.. umm… funny right?‘

Writer 2: ‘oh.. ok… do we reference duff himself ever in the show? Which we are free to do, as satirists we spend a lot of time lambasting celebrities anyway?’

writer 1: ‘nope, not once. Never.’

End scene. Tell you what, never mind all that, what about the guy who’s telling us this happened? Reliable source? Oh right, chronic alcoholic and drug abuser at the time. Gotcha. Who’s the guy saying it’s bollocks? Oh the showrunner at the time? Had been involved with the series from conception?

“Yeah but he’s protecting himself and the show from litigation”

... mike reiss .. who hasn’t worked for Disney or fox or the show since 2007??

ThIs iS a ToUgH OnE, JuST CaNt CaLL iT TbH 🤪

Mike Reiss didn’t create the Duff beer name though. So his account is secondhand, per his own admission.

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

Mike Reiss didn’t create the Duff beer name though. So his account is secondhand, per his own admission.

No it was Jay Kogan, confirmed in the season 4 episode commentary on the DVDs. Not a single mention of Duff McKagan in said commentary. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 2:24 PM, Billy Cundy said:

Duff can’t copyright his bloody name, that’s like me suing a show because there’s something in it called ‘Cundy Crisps’. It’s just a noun. It’s like Slash suing Microsoft because of what they named these / / / 

lunacy, absolute lunacy 

It’s different to those examples, because if the call Duff got from the animators was the Simpsons guys, then clearly they were tacitly acknowledging the beer ‘brand’ name was based on Duff’s name. 

But even if so, the Simpsons lawyers could argue that Duff had given his consent, so they don’t owe him anything. Duffs lawyers would potentially try to argue that he hadn’t specifically given consent for them to monetise it, yada yada, you know how lawyers are. 

• Like 1

On 4/9/2023 at 8:35 AM, SoulMonster said:

Sorry I'm a bit late to this discussion but why would the Simpsons have named Duff beer after the bassist from an up and coming hard rock band?

And if they did so what? The show never uses Duff McKagan's likeness or makes reference (even jokingly) to him. 
And finally Duff beer is clearly a take-off/satire of Bud and or Busch beer (Duff Man, Duff Gardens, Duff Dry, Duff Bowl, etc.) - they constantly poke fun at the lowest common denominator appeal of Duff beer... from a legal standpoint if I were the Simpsons I'd be far more wary of the mega company that owns Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch Inbev SA).

Also "Duff" is a slang term for various things, the most applicable one that comes to mind being "butt" or "a$$" as in "get off your duff" or "sitting on my duff".

Edited by Rodzilla72
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

Sorry I'm a bit late to this discussion but why would the Simpsons have named Duff beer after the bassist from an up and coming hard rock band?

And if they did so what? The show never uses Duff McKagan's likeness or makes reference (even jokingly) to him. 
And finally Duff beer is clearly a take-off/satire of Bud and or Busch beer (Duff Man, Duff Gardens, Duff Dry, Duff Bowl, etc.) - they constantly poke fun at its lowest common denominator appeal of Duff beer... from a legal standpoint if I were the Simpsons I'd be far more wary of the mega company that owns Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch Inbev SA).

Also "Duff" is a slang term for various things, the most applicable one that comes to mind being "butt" or "a$$" as in "get off your duff" or "sitting on my duff".

1000% 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

And finally Duff beer is clearly a take-off/satire of Bud and or Busch beer (Duff Man, Duff Gardens, Duff Dry, Duff Bowl, etc.) - they constantly poke fun at the lowest common denominator appeal of Duff beer... from a legal standpoint if I were the Simpsons I'd be far more wary of the mega company that owns Budweiser (Anheuser-Busch Inbev SA).

Regardless of whether they did it to deliberately exploit synergies with the bassist of a band that was already becoming known for their drinking, it would still make sense from a legal perspective to check in with Duff to make sure if he was okay with it.

Besides, this was before The Simpsons had even been created, how Duff beer ended up in the final series doesn't mean they didn't seek acceptance from Duff when everything was in its planning stages. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Regardless of whether they did it to deliberately exploit synergies with the bassist of a band that was already becoming known for their drinking, it would still make sense from a legal perspective to check in with Duff to make sure if he was okay with it.

Besides, this was before The Simpsons had even been created, how Duff beer ended up in the final series doesn't mean they didn't seek acceptance from Duff when everything was in its planning stages. 

OK- to your point, maybe they did; maybe they named the generic, Budweiser-inspired beer in the Simpsons - an animated sitcom about American blue-collar family life - after the then 23-year-old bass player from a hard-partying yet not overly threatening hard rock band. I can't dispute that possibility. 

24 minutes ago, Rodzilla72 said:

OK- to your point, maybe they did; maybe they named the generic, Budweiser-inspired beer in the Simpsons - an animated sitcom about American blue-collar family life - after the then 23-year-old bass player from a hard-partying yet not overly threatening hard rock band. I can't dispute that possibility. 

I don't think my point is that they did, or didn't - more that it is possible they did, or that they didn't.

• Like 2

I took a punt and messaged Jay Kogen directly, who confirmed… @Rodzilla72was spot on and it’s more to do with duff being slang for ‘ass’. 

https://imgur.com/a/RKMv9jZ

this is jays official account, he doesn’t have a blue tick but it’s clearly him. Case closed. 
https://imgur.com/a/OfbqEXs

Edited by Billy Cundy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1