Complaints, complaints, complaints!

There was a Fan complaint saying something like,"Slash isn't even naturally talented! He got good on the guitar by practicing hard and dedicating himself to the guitar! Anyone could have gotten good at guitar by practicing hard and dedicating themselves to the guitar!"ย  Uh.... ๐Ÿ˜’ Really? ๐Ÿ˜’ Seriously? ๐Ÿ˜’ย What a weird Fan complaint! ๐Ÿ˜’

Edited by Karice
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nintari said:

As opposed to a band that knows when to call it quits and stays quit. Or bands who, through no fault of their own, ended in their prime.

I'd rather have five years of genius and nothing else than five years of genius, fifteen years of mediocrity, and fifteen years of embarrassment.

But that's just me. ย 

you make it seem like there's only one way to do it right without factoring what each band, artist, or musician wants to do. For many bands, it's the only or the main thing they know how to do well and they still enjoy doing their thing, if it's performing live and/or recording their music. Why should they stop if they still enjoy the process and make money?ย 

you can always decide to stop following bands you think should stop. My hope is that Gn'R will continue as long as they can do it, just like Axl said, but that's just me.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Karice said:

There was a Fan complaint saying something like,"Slash isn't even naturally talented! He got good on the guitar by practicing hard and dedicating himself to the guitar! Anyone could have gotten good at guitar by practicing hard and dedicating themselves to the guitar!"ย  Uh.... ๐Ÿ˜’ Really? ๐Ÿ˜’ Seriously? ๐Ÿ˜’ย What a weird Fan complaint! ๐Ÿ˜’

Who exactly cares about a fan comment?

7 minutes ago, Karice said:

I just found it weird that this "Fan," came across as more of aย  "Hater,' than a Fan..

sometimes people who don't play the guitar or just some people in general base a certain opinion on what seems logical to them. If you don't understand what makes Slash sound the way he does, it doesn't mean you're not a real fan or a "hater". That poster in particular seems to be a Gn'R fan just like you and me.ย 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spaghetti4twenty said:

Obviously the media isnโ€™t solely responsible, but Iโ€™m sure Absurd being received as โ€œwtfโ€ by most people didnโ€™t help.ย Whats more well received and generates more revenue- New music that is inevitably going to be subject to harsh criticism or to just keep running the โ€œlegacyโ€ tour? Most ppl at these shows probably just want to hear Appetite and some of UYI anyway.ย 
ย 

Theyโ€™ve refreshed the set the best they can without adding new musicโ€ฆย 

locomotive, coma, soyl, reckless life, dead horse, a CD deep cut here, etcโ€ฆย I call that improvement if you compare it to the sets from 2010 to 2014.ย 
ย 

You can't really blame the media though for people not liking a song!ย 

The band did sod all promotion for it too, which doesn't help in this day and age.ย 

I get it but we're back to the old "why do anything new, ever, when all people want is old stuff" debate again though.ย 

In regards to the "refreshened" set, I didn't realise we were comparing the set now to that pre the reunion! I think that's clutching at straws really.ย 

8 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

We don't know that for sure. They haven't released one, sure, but we don't know that they haven't worked on anything.

Meegan's muted IG posts/stories suggest that there are some.ideas being floated around in some form, otherwise why mute them?

Well we can only go with what we're told, and Slash says he hasn't done anything... Obviously Slash is fond of white lies so it's not improbable that they actually have worked on new material. I mean it would make a lot more sense for a band as useless as gnr to keep things under wraps instead of saying things like "we're starting recording today, new record on the way #gnrfam" and then not be able to deliver a record in a year (or so), it just opens them up to more criticism and if you follow gnr you don't need the ammoย 

14 hours ago, Nintari said:

As opposed to a band that knows when to call it quits and stays quit. Or bands who, through no fault of their own, ended in their prime.

I'd rather have five years of genius and nothing else than five years of genius, fifteen years of mediocrity, and fifteen years of embarrassment.

But that's just me. ย 

Agreed. As time passes this 'band' will only solidify what the illusion tried to keep up for so long, which is that this 'band' is nothing more than a bunch of chameleons, snake oil salesmen at their finest, who knew huh. What you are seeing and coming to terms with is GNR's true, and not its final form. Also no need to try and sell me on the narrative; but but, salsh and mckduff release music..

2 hours ago, We love Axl Rose said:

and 2014 (primarily Las Vegas shows)ย :)

6-6-14 would be nice

People moan about setlists but those shows were great, they played yesterdays, prostitute all sorts

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Well we can only go with what we're told, and Slash says he hasn't done anything... Obviously Slash is fond of white lies so it's not improbable that they actually have worked on new material. I mean it would make a lot more sense for a band as useless as gnr to keep things under wraps instead of saying things like "we're starting recording today, new record on the way #gnrfam" and then not be able to deliver a record in a year (or so), it just opens them up to more criticism and if you follow gnr you don't need the ammoย 

It seems clear to me that they've at least jammed ideas, even if they haven't recorded them.

Plus, didn't Slash say early on something like he keeps ideas for GN'R and SMKC separate?

Having ideas isย 'working' on new material. Granted, it's the very very first step in the process, but it at least shows some thought is there โ€“ if you weren't even bothing with ideas, then obviously new material would be furthest from the mind.

Now they just need to flesh out these ideas and get in a studio (if they haven't already in some capacity โ€“ and it wouldn't surprise me if they have and have just kept it quiet).

Edited by DoMw94

1 hour ago, DoMw94 said:

It seems clear to me that they've at least jammed ideas, even if they haven't recorded them.

Plus, didn't Slash say early on something like he keeps ideas for GN'R and SMKC separate?

Having ideas isย 'working' on new material. Granted, it's the very very first step in the process, but it at least shows some thought is there โ€“ if you weren't even bothing with ideas, then obviously new material would be furthest from the mind.

Now they just need to flesh out these ideas and get in a studio (if they haven't already in some capacity โ€“ and it wouldn't surprise me if they have and have just kept it quiet).

just my opinion, but Axl, Slash, and Duff seem like intelligent and talented musicians that must know each other pretty well by now. The potential was always there to make a great album even without Izzy imo, and I think it's still there, even if it won't be as good as UYI.ย 

my guess is that the one thing that prevents us from getting at least a good Gn'R album every 5 years or so is Axl's perception of what a Gn'R album should be and there is no financial payoff anymore and he already had the tendency to delay shit in the Illusion days, so maybe he's just taking his sweet time figuring out exactly how he wants to do it, if you still believe that he's still interested in releasing more music which I believe he is.

this means, at least for me, that it's still impossible to predict what Axl's next move will be or even if he would make another big move, even in his 60's. That is how much I think he doesn't concern himself with the limitations of time, even though I think he's fully aware of it which makes it weird for the fans and maybe frustrating for some.

Slash has expressed his willigness to move forward and record brand new material and the thing is it could go either way, cause bottom line it comes down to what Axl wants to do, but I speculate that he doesn't want to see the end of Gn'R without at least more material released and if I let myself venture into semi- dreamland, I'd say perhaps Axl is not satisfied with how small the Gn'R catalog is and maybe he wants to release another full Gn'R album, but has his own criteria of what it must provide creatively speaking. Just wild speculation fyi.

• Like 2

On 4/7/2023 at 3:53 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

You haven't seen the San Juan 2010 pro shot?

ย 

I think it's pretty obvious that Axl has been sitting on at least one more albums worth of material for decades. Whether it's A, B or C list material is irrelevant since CD was such a divisive record anyway and fans will take whatever we can get. From the little we've heard, he had at least a few good tunes ready to go.

I agree, I have not seen that show yet. :(ย 

Probably said before but it'd be cool if they were more media friendly and by "they" I'm mainly talking about Axl. 7 years for this current incarnation of the band and we'll likely never get a full band interview.

Pearl Jam did one as a full band a few years back on one of the late night shows so its not like something that never happens. Axl and any combination with the rest of them would portray an actual relationship among members that we really don't see and we only got with the Axl/Duff interview.

• Like 1

Sometimes this band is like a bad sports team, they fail at the basics of a few simple tasks. That Illusions boxset would have been so much cooler if it had a tour doc with it, or any kind of documentary. Metallica have been putting up home video bootlegs of old concerts on YouTube, it would be great if GnR did something like that.ย ย 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, pbj_jam said:

Agreed. As time passes this 'band' will only solidify what the illusion tried to keep up for so long, which is that this 'band' is nothing more than a bunch of chameleons, snake oil salesmen at their finest, who knew huh. What you are seeing and coming to terms with is GNR's true, and not its final form.ย 

This is such a weird post.

How is the band a "bunch of chameleons"? Are you saying they are shifting their sound constantly to align with shifting trends? If so that would be weird since they don't really release much music and usually when they do, expect for Appetite, they are behind whatever trends exist. They do change, though, and Axl always wanted the band to evolve and show versatility, kind of like Queen.ย 

"Snake oil salesmen"? What fake stuff are they trying to sell? They are not really selling anything, as far as I am concerned. I probably completely misunderstand what you mean here, but regardless of how I twist and turn on that expression it makes no sense to me. At the very least it conveys a message of some sinister purpose, of some ill-will on their part, which I can't at all find in GN'R. They are fairly incompetent in their communication and being on-time with releases and stuff, but "snake oil salesmen" doesn't at all fit to it.

As for the band anno 2023 is their "true form" and that it isn't their "final form", implies that the band hasn't changed, they have always been like this, just kept it hidden (maybe that's what you meant with the chameleon quote?). I would say the band of 1987 is very different from the band of 2023. The hunger to release music, or more precisely to put their stamp on the world of music, is obviously gone. They succeeded at that.ย  And with this accomplishment follows a change in priorities, a change in how they behave, resulting in the band appearing very differently. More so, the guys themselves have changed, both in terms of some guys literally having changed with some other guys, but also a normal maturation as guys grow from their 20s into their 50s resulting in different worldviews, priorities, interests, views on media, etc etc. Again, all natural and real, and nothing nefarious about it and proof that the band today is different from the band years ago.

Edited by SoulMonster

Following trends, to me is not the same as naturally evolving within a band, chameleon behaviour right there, that's a desperate act trying to stay relevant, but I guess you can always phrase it to whatever narrative fits the eye of the beholder.

Snake oil salesmen; fake persona, fake image. That right there is the entire operation, if only they could release music.. (ghostwriters anyone?) Being incompetent (with team Brazil) has given them unlimmitted ammo as far as excuses go it shouldn't work in any corporate world, but here it does.ย 

Your final point I agree with, I just want to rephrase one thing. They got the bag and that magically rendered them unable to create, funny how that works, like Axl speaks in Coma (surely must've been about himself at this point) something about hunger.

ย 

ย 

ย 

one thing to note, I'm talking the entire career here, time is working against them in this case. Yes absolutely a chameleon act if I've ever seen one, time tells the tale.

ย 

ย 

I am not okay with the fact that I was also insulted in that post and no one defended me and only theย  the other person who was insulted in that post got defended . In fact, I was the first person insulted in that post. ๐Ÿ˜ซ๐Ÿ˜ฉ

Edited by Karice
  • Haha 2

If I really had to chose, my main complaint is Duff claimed the beer in the Simpsons is named after him. What in all fuck is that about. Seriously gives me a migraine thinking about him staking claim to that. Absolutely mental. I kind of admire his delusion actually. Good for him. Iโ€™ve changed my mind.ย 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

If I really had to chose, my main complaint is Duff claimed the beer in the Simpsons is named after him. What in all fuck is that about. Seriously gives me a migraine thinking about him staking claim to that. Absolutely mental. I kind of admire his delusion actually. Good for him. Iโ€™ve changed my mind.ย 

Why would he make up a lies about it?ย (4) 06. JANUARY-DECEMBER 1986 - GETTING SIGNED - Page 2 (a-4-d.com)

If you think about it though, considering* Axl put so much (perhaps too much) time and energy into creating one album with massive expectations that then received a lukewarm and even negative response , itโ€™s not surprising he is not in a rush to release more albums is it

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

*all things consideredย 

54 minutes ago, Billy Cundy said:

i donโ€™t think itโ€™s impossible. He did get a call from an animator asking him if it was ok to use his name. The Simpsons ย creators subsequently denied it wasnโ€™t named after him but they could be just covering themselves from a legal claimย