Slither in the setlist

I am a big proponent that, all our bitching aside, the stuff we have gotten from this band really is incredible.; it just happens so slowly we don't really recognize it until looking from 20,000 feet Hell, if you'd even told me in late 2015/early 2016 when we all but knew Slash and Duff were coming back that this lineup would play a Velvet Revolver song every night and that the band will have played over half of the songs on Chinese Democracy, I would have said it was fan fiction. 

• Like 4

On 6/11/2023 at 10:01 PM, The Matinator said:

I think it’s cool when they play CD & Slither back to back. Blew my mind when I saw them back in 2019. That being said I do think they should rotate some move VR into the set. Axl would sound great on tracks like Sucker Train Blues, Come On Come In & Get Out The Door. Would also love to see him take on some of the ballads like You Got No Right & Gravedancer. Those tracks would sound great in the same type of voice he uses on Patience & Wichita.

Yeah that's a really cool part of the set. I don't think its coincidence that they were put together, it just makes sense that they belong together. Slash playing a CD tune and then Axl playing a VR tune right after is just awesome.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

I am a big proponent that, all our bitching aside, the stuff we have gotten from this band really is incredible.; it just happens so slowly we don't really recognize it until looking from 20,000 feet Hell, if you'd even told me in late 2015/early 2016 when we all but knew Slash and Duff were coming back that this lineup would play a Velvet Revolver song every night and that the band will have played over half of the songs on Chinese Democracy, I would have said it was fan fiction. 

Never in a million years would I have thought we'd see that day, and then also see them playing songs like Anything Goes again too. The fact Slither and rarities like that song are in the setlist is incredible

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2023 at 10:26 AM, rumandraisin said:

I just assumed he thought it was only fair to pop a VR song in as they learnt the majority of CD over the years aside from ITW, Riad, Shackles and IRS. 

As an aside, is anyone unable to get in to VR? As much as I've tried I just can't get excited about them, there's so e great tracks on the first album but it's all a bit generic modern rock to me? Maybe you had to be there at the time it came out. 

Gn'R and STP are two of my top five bands so to me ,they were awesome. When he was on ,Weiland was one of the best front men I've ever seen live.  The last time I saw them,they put on a great two hour show. 

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/velvet-revolver/2007/darien-lake-performing-arts-center-darien-center-ny-3d62503.html

Edited by Subtle Signs

On 6/11/2023 at 5:26 PM, rumandraisin said:

As an aside, is anyone unable to get in to VR? As much as I've tried I just can't get excited about them, there's so e great tracks on the first album but it's all a bit generic modern rock to me? Maybe you had to be there at the time it came out. 

I'm kind of unable to get back into Velvet Revolver. When Contraband came out in 2004 I had a summer job where I could listen to music and I spun that album 8 hours a day for a month. It was also pretty much the only album I listened during the following fall and winter. Burnt myself out with it. I still listen to it maybe once a year and really dig it, but more than that feels still too much. But all in all, it has aged pretty well. Definitely a good snapshot of 2004.

So I was definitely there when it came out :lol:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

I'm kind of unable to get back into Velvet Revolver. When Contraband came out in 2004 I had a summer job where I could listen to music and I spun that album 8 hours a day for a month. It was also pretty much the only album I listened during the following fall and winter. Burnt myself out with it. I still listen to it maybe once a year and really dig it, but more than that feels still too much. But all in all, it has aged pretty well. Definitely a good snapshot of 2004.

So I was definitely there when it came out :lol:

Funny, I never got into Contraband except for Slither. What I do listen to a lot of is The Last Fight and She Builds Quick Machines and maybe Gravedancer for that last outro solo. So to me, overall Libertad is the better album but I know that's a hot take.

• Like 2

Because it’s a good song, popular with crowd, and Axl’s reciprocating for the others learning CD stuff

I like VR stuff, more than CD really, though the bulk of it is a bit generic. You listen through an album and it can kinda blur into one standard rock song. There is variation though, Fall to Pieces etc.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nice Boy said:

Because it’s a good song, popular with crowd, and Axl’s reciprocating for the others learning CD stuff

I like VR stuff, more than CD really, though the bulk of it is a bit generic. You listen through an album and it can kinda blur into one standard rock song. There is variation though, Fall to Pieces etc.

I feel like "a bit generic" is a good description for most of Slash and Duff's post-GNR output, honestly. 

• Like 3

I always thought Axl could do a good job on "Dirty little thing", but maybe it's kind of like Perfect crime where it's too many words and he'd be out of breath so it mighy be too hard to sing live. 

always wondered what Axl would sound like on Anastasia... but it's also cool if I never hear it.  

Edited by Chester 524

On 6/11/2023 at 10:26 AM, rumandraisin said:

I just assumed he thought it was only fair to pop a VR song in as they learnt the majority of CD over the years aside from ITW, Riad, Shackles and IRS. 

Only two VR songs that did anything for me were You've Got No Right and This Fight. 

Top notch melodies in both songs. 

The rest didn't do much for me.

21 hours ago, downzy said:

Only two VR songs that did anything for me were You've Got No Right and This Fight. 

Top notch melodies in both songs. 

The rest didn't do much for me.

The last few days I was wondering what that one VR song I really really really liked back then was called and I couldn't name it (and I always forgot to check the vinyl when I was home) but man,yeah, You've got no right is such a killer song, thanks for helping refreshing the memory.

I really liked both Contraband and Libertad back then, maybe I should give those records another spin these days.

• Like 1

I loved VR. I always thought they were sometimes heavier than guns in terms of their sound, and the riffs. 
It felt to me that it was Slash exploring his slightly metal roots. He even jammed with Mustaine in his early days and I reckon he would have been a great metal rhythm guitarist.

• 3 weeks later...

Loved VR, anyone remember years ago the rumor that someone asked Axl about Contraband, and he said something like "I wish I could have produced it"-probably never said it, but if true I always wondered if it was a jab at the record or if he really liked it. I do think he was probably an STP fan. Still shocked they did Slither. Glad I got to hear it at least once, was really good in person

• Like 1

I don't know how anyone else feels about it, but it would be killer for me to hear them play the Slither/If the World mashup that someone made years ago. I have always hated mashups, but that one was amazing... way better than the two songs by themselves.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1

I think Slither is a really nice addition to the set stylistically in addition to the sentiments of Axl returning the favor for Slash and Duff doing CD songs

I would love to hear Axl's on Sucker Train Blues, that sort of talking style Scott did I would would suit Axl for a Don't Damn Me type of delivery with his low register

On 6/16/2023 at 12:34 PM, Spoon87 said:

The last few days I was wondering what that one VR song I really really really liked back then was called and I couldn't name it (and I always forgot to check the vinyl when I was home) but man,yeah, You've got no right is such a killer song, thanks for helping refreshing the memory.

I really liked both Contraband and Libertad back then, maybe I should give those records another spin these days.

I love You Got No Right Also.

One of the first songs they ever wrote and performed (think it was the fashion show they played it at first, with Izzy).

When I heard it live first I thought to myself "Its a long time since i've heard a solo like that in a song"

On 6/15/2023 at 12:01 AM, izzyjim said:

Am I the only one who cares about the fact that Axl doesn't know the lyrics and keep changing lines?

It isn't as bad as Slash butchering every Chinese solo he goes near

• Thanks 1

On 6/11/2023 at 3:22 PM, jacdaniel said:

Slither is nothing at all like anything on CD. It's a proper riff based rocker. I think if you listen to Contraband and CD you can actually hear the creative differences that led to the band never recording together since. 

I think Axl only does it live because Slash and Duff literally learned all of CD and probably the village stuff. 

Totally agree! Contraband is raw rock IMO, no keyboards, synths, etc. CD is more complex and has more layers than an onion. Love Scott as a performer, different approach than Axl, but man, he was really good.

Contraband is a little bit generic, not pretencious, but a good picture of 2004. VR along with Audioslave can describe how those years were. We have to consider that by that time record labels were fried, no more crazy money was available, so this took a huge toll in the business and the bands of that monent. Until they figured out that touring with 100 bucks tickets was possible and here we are now

Edited by lost un the jungle
  • Like 1