Slither in the setlist

Well. When slash n duff returned. They learned the songs from Chinese and remade them to their own standards. They worked hard on the chidem songs so it was only fair for Axl to do the same. 

He said something like this at the 2016 China QnA thingy

• Like 3

I just assumed he thought it was only fair to pop a VR song in as they learnt the majority of CD over the years aside from ITW, Riad, Shackles and IRS. 

As an aside, is anyone unable to get in to VR? As much as I've tried I just can't get excited about them, there's so e great tracks on the first album but it's all a bit generic modern rock to me? Maybe you had to be there at the time it came out. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

As an aside, is anyone unable to get in to VR? As much as I've tried I just can't get excited about them, there's so e great tracks on the first album but it's all a bit generic modern rock to me? Maybe you had to be there at the time it came out. 

Me. Diehard GNR fan since the early ‘90s. I’ve been very into their side projects and other bands, but was never and am still not really into Velvet Revolver. I’ve tried. 

• Like 1

Me too. Very generic rock. No edge. 

• Like 2

I just assumed he thought it was only fair to pop a VR song in as they learnt the majority of CD over the years aside from ITW, Riad, Shackles and IRS. 

They have some really good songs - Loving The Alien, Messages, etc. - but a lot of mediocre songs as well. Contraband gets praised by a lot of people on here but that album hasn't aged well at all IMO.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, gnrjanus said:

Well. When slash n duff returned. They learned the songs from Chinese and remade them to their own standards. They worked hard on the chidem songs so it was only fair for Axl to do the same. 

He said something like this at the 2016 China QnA thingy

Agree, is a kind of feedback of Axl part 

12 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

Slither is nothing at all like anything on CD. It's a proper riff based rocker. I think if you listen to Contraband and CD you can actually hear the creative differences that led to the band never recording together since. 

I think Axl only does it live because Slash and Duff literally learned all of CD and probably the village stuff. 

I personally think Slither and at the very least the title track off Chinese have some overlap stylistically.  Both are in Drop D and the key of D in general, follow the same basic structure and are rockers, the whole "take it down for the verse and palm mute your riffs and let loose in the chorus" thing. 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, crd26 said:

I’d like to see them include Ghost and Believe in Me

Back From Cali is the pinnacle of Slashs solo stuff in my opinion, but I just don't see it ever being included in a GNR set, just like any other tune from his solo stuff. Slither is something special that Axl seems to dig, I can't see any other song making it to the set ever. I really feel Slither is a track Axl would have loved to work on during the CD years. Scraped is IMO a failed attempt to capture that same vibe, seeing as it was also written somewhere post village sessions. It has that same type of drop tuned riff during the verses.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

8 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Back From Cali is the pinnacle of Slashs solo stuff in my opinion, but I just don't see it ever being included in a GNR set, just like any other tune from his solo stuff. Slither is something special that Axl seems to dig, I can't see any other song making it to the set ever. I really feel Slither is a track Axl would have loved to work on during the CD years. Scraped is IMO a failed attempt to capture that same vibe, seeing as it was also written somewhere post village sessions. It has that same type of drop tuned riff during the verses.

Promise seems like a song that Axl would've absolutely nailed in 2010 or 2016, but yea I don't think there will ever be a Slash solo song included in a GNR set unless it's something like Safari Inn that could be used as an intro...

Axl would probably never sing Nothing To Say but it would've been cool to hear what he'd do over that instrumental, too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

I agree with both your statements. Duff n Slash have learned and play much of the Chinese songs. So it's a sign of maturity that Axl does a song of theirs from the VR days. I like the version Guns do live.

No you aren't the only one who can't get into VR. But then again I think the two Snakepit albums and Slash's solo album with all the guest singers are his best works outside of GN'R. I also prefer Gilby's solo and side project albums to Izzy's.

I don't think there's any right or wrong. We all have different favourites and that's what keeps it interesting and gives us things to discuss. With the exception of Paul Tobias and towel boy I love em all.

I think it’s cool when they play CD & Slither back to back. Blew my mind when I saw them back in 2019. That being said I do think they should rotate some move VR into the set. Axl would sound great on tracks like Sucker Train Blues, Come On Come In & Get Out The Door. Would also love to see him take on some of the ballads like You Got No Right & Gravedancer. Those tracks would sound great in the same type of voice he uses on Patience & Wichita.

19 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Same here, I've tried and well GNR covering slither made me love it more. But aside from falling to pieces I can't get excited about them either no. I remember back in high school I wanted to do a presentation about GN'R for English speaking exams, but my English teacher was a Velvet Revolver fan, so she said I had to do a part about them as well, I was like boooring... :P

20 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

Me. Diehard GNR fan since the early ‘90s. I’ve been very into their side projects and other bands, but was never and am still not really into Velvet Revolver. I’ve tried. 

same... theres maybe 2-3 VR songs i kinda dig and slither isnt one of them... tbh i prefer loaded over VR... wouldnt mind duff doing some loaded stuff in his solo spot

to me VR has just always felt like a fake GNR... even more so than GNR in the ashba era, but i take it that they threw in slither to cater to the slash > axl fans