Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

6 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Doesn't the official release of TWAT have a bit of inaudible lyrics? The whole "never mind who gave you head/near the man who gave you head/near the man who reaped it in" bit? I remember when it leaked for years we thought that was a placeholder. It's subjective of course, but TWAT was probably the "biggest gun" of all the songs in the war chest and it still had unfinished sounding vocals and lyrics. When it comes to interpersonal songs, Axl isn't the world's greatest songwriter, but there is something special there. He's definitely struggled to put pen to paper. Which is a shame, because he's clearly talented and can do more than write great rock lyrics. 

I felt with CD and the leftovers, he really wanted to become known as a great songwriter as opposed to someone who knows how to write a great stadium rock song.

If you watch a live performance of TWAT there's no confusion on that lyric, he gestures..

Garbled is the word. Is he singing the word Prostitute on Message for you debate went on for some time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

Doesn't the official release of TWAT have a bit of inaudible lyrics? The whole "never mind who gave you head/near the man who gave you head/near the man who reaped it in" bit? I remember when it leaked for years we thought that was a placeholder. It's subjective of course, but TWAT was probably the "biggest gun" of all the songs in the war chest and it still had unfinished sounding vocals and lyrics. When it comes to interpersonal songs, Axl isn't the world's greatest songwriter, but there is something special there. He's definitely struggled to put pen to paper. Which is a shame, because he's clearly talented and can do more than write great rock lyrics. 

I felt with CD and the leftovers, he really wanted to become known as a great songwriter as opposed to someone who knows how to write a great stadium rock song.

I don't really hear what you're saying. The vocal on TWAT is very clear the whole way through on the official version. Definitely sounds like a polished vocal take to my ears.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, bumbleslash69 said:

My point was more around missing verses and chorus. Not necessarily the quality of the sound.

Edited by Coma16

There's some questionable vocal choices on songs like Prostitute, Sorry, etc. but none of the vocals in TWAT ever seemed like placeholder to me.

State Of Grace is in an interesting spot because there's complete lyrics, but it's got by far the roughest vocals we've heard (obviously not counting Nothing or Quick Song). If that song is ever released, I think unfortunately the most likely outcome is we'll hear the same vocal take but it will be edited/manipulated to fit the song slightly better.

Edited by Gordon Comstock
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

27 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't really hear what you're saying. The vocal on TWAT is very clear the whole way through on the official version. Definitely sounds like a polished vocal take to my ears.

I’ve always heard near the man but apparently that’s wrong

6 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Complete lyrics? He mumbles during the second verse and the entire end section is just him mumbling and mostly screaming random words lol.

The lyrics themselves are also obviously placeholder.

Nah, they're complete lyrics. That doesn't mean they're final lyrics, he did make small changes to Better and CD over the years, but there's definitely complete lyrics on the demo we heard. I tried to search for the old leak thread but it doesn't show up, so I'll type them up in an hour or so.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Nah, they're complete lyrics. That doesn't mean they're final lyrics, he did make small changes to Better and CD over the years, but there's definitely complete lyrics on the demo we heard. I tried to search for the old leak thread but it doesn't show up, so I'll type them up in an hour or so.

You don't need to type them up I do know what he says in the song, I guess we just have different definition on what completed is.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

Complete lyrics? He mumbles during the second verse and the entire end section is just him mumbling and mostly screaming random words lol.

The lyrics themselves are also obviously placeholder.

Yeah, the first verse and chorus are the only clearly intelligible parts. The rest sounds very "rough" 

3 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

You don't need to type them up I do know what he says in the song, I guess we just have different definition on what completed is.

I'd say they're more complete than Silkworms or Perhaps, maybe even Atlas, but it sounds like a rough vocal take where he's more focused on trying melodies than enunciating the words...

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

11 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

This thread?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I'd say they're more complete than Silkworms or Perhaps, maybe even Atlas, but it sounds like a rough vocal take where he's more focused on trying melodies than enunciating the words...

I agree there's lyrics there, apart from the end part, I just don't think they can be considered finished when some of them just seem quite rushed and simple. Also yeah his delivery is very messy.

Edited by Jw224

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

I agree there's lyrics there, apart from the end part, I just don't think they can be considered finished when some of them just seem quite rushed and simple.

Fair enough, and just to be clear I'm not saying he stuck with those exact lyrics over the years, but he had full lyrics when he recorded the song.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Thanks, it didn't show up when I searched for it.

And when the fuck did Oldest Goat get banned :wow:

I use google search (and have it search mygnr), not the forum search function.

I think OG hasn't posted for a while and I was wondering if he was OK...

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Thanks, it didn't show up when I searched for it.

And when the fuck did Oldest Goat get banned :wow:

He got banned?! That's insane. He got a little heated sometimes but I've never seen him say anything on here that constituted a ban

• Like 2
  • ABSUЯD 1

3 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Fair enough, and just to be clear I'm not saying he stuck with those exact lyrics over the years, but he had full lyrics when he recorded the song.

Agreed. It is a complete song with complete lyrics. You don’t put in that degree of effort on those power screams unless you feel like the song is pretty flushed out. I guarantee those were not nailed to that degree on a single take. The end of the bridge is the only place where he seems to lose it a bit but that could be fixed pretty easy today. This song is not like nothing or quick song. It seems to be a pretty complete idea. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Gibson87 said:

He got banned?! That's insane. He got a little heated sometimes but I've never seen him say anything on here that constituted a ban

Agreed. Maybe he just asked for his account to be deleted? Either way it sucks that he's gone, he was generally a good poster.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, El Guapo said:

I just listened to the Village version of Perhaps again...this really isn't a great song, not even a good one. 

I can't see why they'd choose it if they had anything better finished and ready to go.

I completey disagree. I really enjoy Perhaps. I think it’s a bit underbaked and needed a second verse which I don’t think will be in the final version. But it has all the makings of a good GNR song imo, I could see it as a UYI track.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

I completey disagree. I really enjoy Perhaps. I think it’s a bit underbaked and needed a second verse which I don’t think will be in the final version. But it has all the makings of a good GNR song imo, I could see it as a UYI track.

Yeah, my main problem is it just feels incomplete. Needs more lyrics. Absurd doesn't feel incomplete to me because it feels like it's meant to be that way, Perhaps just feels unfinished.

Maybe Slash and Duff have found a way to make it feel more finished lol, we'll need to see.

Edited by Jw224

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

Yeah, my main problem is it just feels incomplete. Needs more lyrics. Absurd doesn't feel incomplete to me because it feels like it's meant to be that way, Perhaps just feels unfinished.

Maybe Slash and Duff have found a way to make it feel more finished lol, we'll need to see.

The only hope would be if Axl recorded a second verse since 99, but I kind of doubt it. It’s a real shame because I agree the repetitiveness hurts the song a lot, it’s essentially like listening to a 2 minute song back to back.

5 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

This is not an illusion type track. It screams CD era. Maybe that will change with how it sounds on Friday

On 8/5/2023 at 10:30 AM, Sonicjam said:

Where's 2000_intentions at? He was literally laughing at everyone's post who said it was imminent this week. Who's laughing now, bitch? :awesomeface:

Down for cover until the next lull to pass the pessimism (understandable though it is...)

This is a fleeting moment of optimism, we SHOULD enjoy these moments and not get petty, hey hey....

is it ok to be just a little hyped?  Hopefully gonna turn out nicely...