Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

20 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Great post.

My take is that the mix/mastering wasn't ready. Just speculating from their activity in studios. This is partially biased with hope that the song gets a decent audio treatment, after they learn with the obvious mistake of the brickwalled Hard Skool.

The mastering was horrendous but the first issue with HS was the amateur mix. No amount of remastering can fix that.

• Like 3

I've realised that much of us are basing our speculation on the village session leaks, considering that songs like Catcher, Street Of Dreams, and even Better (which had no vocals originally) changed quite a bit. Is it possible that Axl and whoever was with the band at any moment kept working on Perhaps up until Chinese Democracy's release and maybe even afterwards?

Because if so they could've made a second less repetitive verse. In the soundcheck you can hear Slash or Richard have added some more guitar parts to the main riff, it could easily just be an addition by one of the two, or it could be something recorded back then by Robin or Bumblefoot, and now it's being adapted. It's clear there hasn't been any new sections added of course, but maybe there's more to it than we think.

Wishful thinking I know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Maystar said:

I've realised that much of us are basing our speculation on the village session leaks, considering that songs like Catcher, Street Of Dreams, and even Better (which had no vocals originally) changed quite a bit. Is it possible that Axl and whoever was with the band at any moment kept working on Perhaps up until Chinese Democracy's release and maybe even afterwards?

Because if so they could've made a second less repetitive verse. In the soundcheck you can hear Slash or Richard have added some more guitar parts to the main riff, it could easily just be an addition by one of the two, or it could be something recorded back then by Robin or Bumblefoot, and now it's being adapted. It's clear there hasn't been any new sections added of course, but maybe there's more to it than we think.

Wishful thinking I know.

I think the majority of people here are expecting it to be in similar vein to Hard Skool and Absurd:

- Song structure to say very similar to Village sessions (as heard in the soundchecks).

- Slash/Richard/Duff to replace the original Guitar/Bass work and adapt slightly, ultimately making it sound more "GNR-like".

- Same Axl vocal take as previously heard.

Edited by CAFC Nick

3 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Sorry but obviously I really hope you're wrong.

I do still think there's too much indicating that we will for sure get at least Perhaps before end of the year.

We believe more than ever, thank you by taking care him etc

Love the sig! Kudos for throwing in the saltire!! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I think it'll probably still be brickwalled to all hell. 

Part of the problem when you're dealing with 1/4 century ago tracks, new instrumentation and stems from unrelated songs in different registers....plus producers that didn't work on the originals...a lot of the time, 40th anniversary edition boxsets are remastered by the original dude, there's a reason for that....

46 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Great post.

My take is that the mix/mastering wasn't ready. Just speculating from their activity in studios. This is partially biased with hope that the song gets a decent audio treatment, after they learn with the obvious mistake of the brickwalled Hard Skool.

I'll second that hope, though it seems as if it's an Axl call going down that route as the audio from Appetite for Democracy is exactly the same. A massive contrast to what they did going against the norm in the midst of the loudness war regarding how Chinese was mixed and mastered. More of that caliber would be very much welcomed, as often the case, great mastering can elevate a good song into a great song.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

I think the majority of people here are expecting it to be in similar vein to Hard Skool and Absurd:

- Song structure to say very similar to Village sessions (as heard in the soundchecks).

- Slash/Richard/Duff to replace the original Guitar/Bass work and adapt slightly, ultimately making it sound more "GNR-like".

- Same Axl vocal take as previously heard.

Valid points, my reasoning is that Silkworms and Hardschool were some of the less prioritised songs at the time, since Hardschool was meant for a Jackie Chan film, and that fell through. While Silkworms is just kinda weird and experimental. While songs like Three Dollar Pyramid and The Blues where more prioritised, as well as possibly Perhaps, Atlas etc.

8 hours ago, EvanG said:

Isn't that how it always goes? People set time frames for something to happen based on rumours, soundchecks or whatever, not the band, and then when it doesn't happen within their own created time frame, they get mad at the band (particularly Axl) instead of themselves. The overall intelligence level isn't very high here. 

Axl's not going to give you a hug for defending him so vigorously.

People aren't pissed about August 11th. That date has no meaning. It's the overall functioning of the band itself. This isn't anything new. It wasn't new today, it wasn't new last week, it wasn't even new when the reunion started a million years ago. People aren't actually expecting new music, because this is Guns N' Roses. We've all read this book before. However, many fans clearly have a desire to hear what's next. That is human nature. To be curious. The reason they get a little irked about it is because they'd like to hear something new in their lifetime. It reaches the point of ridiculousness. People aren't just pulling these things out of the air.

The band doesn't owe anyone anything, but when they have members saying that news will be coming within the week, they're soundchecking new songs, we get potential release dates for new releases, etc., it's going to naturally stir some curiosity. And what do we receive for that curiosity? Overpriced AFD reissues/merch and more BS. The funny thing is, they'll just laugh at people like you who seem to defend their every move because they can get away with shitting out this ridiculous merchandise, since they know it's being purchased. Just like their live shows. They know people will just go, and even if they don't, who cares? They have their money at this point.

Honestly, defending such a husk of a band is laughable to me. You can insult the intelligence of the fans all you want, but believe me, the band isn't laughing at the ones who are annoyed. They're laughing at the ones who lap up everything they do because they can get away with it. I'd much rather be on the side of people wishing for something more than on the other side, stapling a smile on my face for Uncle Axl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voodoochild said:

Great post.

They’ve had 23 years!

27 minutes ago, Maystar said:

Valid points, my reasoning is that Silkworms and Hardschool were some of the less prioritised songs at the time, since Hardschool was meant for a Jackie Chan film, and that fell through. While Silkworms is just kinda weird and experimental. While songs like Three Dollar Pyramid and The Blues where more prioritised, as well as possibly Perhaps, Atlas etc.

Agreed but still the same vocal take from Village up until CD, with a few (entirely unnecessary!) overdubs.