Perhaps - August 18. UPDATE IV: A New Hope (Radio Premiere Tomorrow?)

13 minutes ago, Theleech said:

I don’t get all the people in here whinging about solos, vocals etc of a phone leak. You guys complain when something isn’t released, when something is released, people were complaining about Axls vocals not being re recorded. Clearly you can hear that they have been and they sound great. That tone that we all loved from him. Yet, you still complain about 1 guitar note in a solo. 
how old are most of you btw? I’m curious lol

I don't think I've seen more than 1-2 comments about the vocals not being re-recorded? It's pretty obvious there's new vocals. The solo is subjective and of course some people will prefer Robin's, but overall people seem to prefer the new version, I'm not seeing a lot of hate :shrugs:

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Theleech said:

I don’t get all the people in here whinging about solos, vocals etc of a phone leak.

Mine wasn’t a phone leak. I’m in a US city with many bars around me with TouchTunes. The song is still available right now as we speak.

I went to a local bar, which was empty, and played it twice on a sound system.

The complains are valid.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, BluegrassBlues said:

Sorry I know this is a very noob question, but when was Perhaps written? I'm digging what I'm hearing and enjoying it, but what is the time frame on it? Is it about anything or anybody in particular? 

We don't know, but a version with vocals were found in the Village leaks, recorded in March 2000. Slash hinted that it wouldn't be as old as Hard Skool, so I would guess it is written in the period 1997-2000.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Theleech said:

I don’t get all the people in here whinging about solos, vocals etc of a phone leak. You guys complain when something isn’t released, when something is released, people were complaining about Axls vocals not being re recorded. Clearly you can hear that they have been and they sound great. That tone that we all loved from him. Yet, you still complain about 1 guitar note in a solo. 
how old are most of you btw? I’m curious lol

Obviously only half your age/stage in life

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

I am glad the song is coming out. People were FREAKING OUT in 2019 about it. I remember some posters saying the solo was one of the best in GNR’s discography and everyone was convinced it was Brian May.

I was surprised to hear the praise for the solo. I always liked it (partially because there weren’t a lot of great solos on the Village discs) but thought it was vastly overhyped. It always sounded like a cool, weird Robin Finck solo that served the song in an interesting way. The solos from all the Village sections weren’t mixed to cut through, they were all very understated. Very 90s/early 2000s.

Always thought the chorus was fantastic and classic GNR. Piano and verses have early 2000s pop music vibes which is kind of fun. It’s a cool tune, that could still use more variety in the second half. We were all excited in 2019 and probably overhyped it. In hindsight, I can see why it didn’t make the album.

Again, I’m glad we are finally getting it though. I’ll gladly take these over nothing

Finally a reasonable take

At the end of the day it’s like we’ve been spoiled by the demos that we weren’t even supposed to hear. That being said, Perhaps is one of my favorite unreleased songs and I can’t wait to  play the shit out of it 

Also I look forward to hearing the lower harmony voice during the chorus on proper speakers. I’ve always enjoyed songs like Locomotive and Chinese Democracy for that reason 

• Like 3

Just now, NachoLZ said:

Anyone else waiting for the official release go to hear it? 

I half paid attention to a terrible cell phone audio of it just to get a taste. Reserving any real opinion or feel for it until it's put out in full quality. Also, I haven't listened to any early versions to compare/complain about the new one.

3 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

At the end of the day it’s like we’ve been spoiled by the demos that we weren’t even supposed to hear. That being said, Perhaps is one of my favorite unreleased songs and I can’t wait to  play the shit out of it 

Also I look forward to hearing the lower harmony voice during the chorus on proper speakers. I’ve always enjoyed songs like Locomotive and Chinese Democracy for that reason 

It is easy for us to act entitled to leaks because Axl does not put out music in a timely manner, but it is easy to see why he and the GNR camp would get upset with leaks. We weren’t meant to hear the old versions, so is it fair to compare? 

But Pandora’s box did open so it is easy to say we prefer an older version of a song because we are used to it or for whatever reason (not saying that’s the case for me here)

Absurd, Hard Skool, and Perhaps don’t sound 100% as complete as all of the other Chinese songs to me. It feels like they could use more parts in their arrangements. Maybe that is why they were left off? I don’t think Axl is putting these out expecting them to hit number 1 on the charts. It almost feels like a nod to fans who have been wanting them. I appreciate that and these songs finally coming out in some capacity. Looking forward to more and taking them for what they are- Chinese leftovers. Bring ‘em on 

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

omg, look at these non-gnr-fan reaction to the news about Perhaps being released on jukeboxes

https://old.reddit.com/r/entertainment/comments/15q8ip4/guns_n_roses_new_song_perhaps_accidentally_leaks/

damn, no excitement from that side of the general public at all. maybe other general public audience might be slightly interested.

It's to be expected. GNR is little more than a legacy act in the eyes of most people.

6 minutes ago, BucketEgg said:

omg, look at these non-gnr-fan reaction to the news about Perhaps being released on jukeboxes

https://old.reddit.com/r/entertainment/comments/15q8ip4/guns_n_roses_new_song_perhaps_accidentally_leaks/

damn, no excitement from that side of the general public at all. maybe other general public audience might be slightly interested.

The internet is NOT the general public besides most of those people prefer taylor swift(great artist) to GNR

Edited by GNR4Ever2024

Always been a fan of the song, I actually really dig this version, they did the best with this out of the 3 they've redone, but my God, what were they thinking with this Slash solo?? This song begs for an epic Slash solo, but instead, we get 15 seconds of him where it sounds like half his strings are breaking and the other half are way out of tune. How did they hear that and think "that's the one!"?? I didn't expect it to top Brian May's solo (I LOVED his original one), but this is AWFUL. The rest of the song sounds pretty fantastic. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TiedHands said:

Always been a fan of the song, I actually really dig this version, they did the best with this out of the 3 they've redone, but my God, what were they thinking with this Slash solo?? This song begs for an epic Slash solo, but instead, we get 15 seconds of him where it sounds like half his strings are breaking and the other half are way out of tune. How did they hear that and think "that's the one!"?? I didn't expect it to top Brian May's solo (I LOVED his original one), but this is AWFUL. The rest of the song sounds pretty fantastic. 

If I may add, I don't think Brian May ever played on Perhaps, at least the Village Session demo that leaked - I am pretty sure that is Robin taking the lead and Brian only having done Catcher and Atlas, as well as according to Tommy some preliminary stuff on Riad way back when

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If I may add, I don't think Brian May ever played on Perhaps, at least the Village Session demo that leaked - I am pretty sure that is Robin taking the lead and Brian only having done Catcher and Atlas, as well as according to Tommy some preliminary stuff on Riad way back when

Really? That is insanely clear to me that it's Brian May playing on that original demo. His guitar sound is unmistakable to me. Its sooooo something he would play. I might be imagining it but I was thinking he had confirmed that it was him playing on there. I remember the very first time I listened to it, I was like "that's one of the Brian May songs!!"