CD leftovers or all new songs

Holding out hope for a 2039 Chinese Democracy boxset with all the Finck/Bucket versions of Soul Monster, The General, Seven, etc. (1 year after the 30th anniversary since both the AFD and UYI boxsets missed the 30th anniversaries by one year as well).

• Like 2

Both ideally -  CD stuff as an archive release with the NuGuns guys still on there - that way releasing Going Down and Ten Percenter would still be viable.

I’d get all the current band in a studio with Kevin Shirley who’s known for working quickly. Loved the Black Star Riders (aka NuThin Lizzy) album he put out as well as the Black Country Communion stuff. 

Unrelated to the above but it’s mad to me how much stuff the Pumpkins have put out since getting back together around the same time Guns did. 

Edited by BassistSeb

I want both. In an ideal world, keep on putting out the leftovers for a bit, then mark 10 years since the "regrouping" in 2026 with an all-new album and all the trimmings that come with that.

A pipe dream if course, since there's no good reason for them – or any legacy band – to release a full-length album, but it'd be cool and would satisfy everyone by doing everything in one way or another

Edited by DoMw94

23 hours ago, Amir said:

Holding out hope for a 2039 Chinese Democracy boxset with all the Finck/Bucket versions of Soul Monster, The General, Seven, etc. (1 year after the 30th anniversary since both the AFD and UYI boxsets missed the 30th anniversaries by one year as well).

If this doesn't happen, I'll be a millionaire by then, and will purchase CD 2 somehow

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Lethalis said:

Just release the Chinese leftovers as an Axl Rose solo album, in all its industrial / electronic glory just as Axl intented.

And then create a new guitar driven GnR album from scratch.

This...... Is magic. Totally agree and would be a legendary move. 

Someone tell the janitor, to tell Fernando, to tell Axl that this is what the real fans want. 

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Most of the songs from the locker leaks are guitar driven. 

Let me rephrase it then: I want Axl to release the Chinese Democracy stuff as he originally intended. Alternative and modern sounding, with all NiN influences intact.

And then also create a new classic bluesy sounding GnR record with Duff and Slash.

Both.

• Like 1

I would prefer new music with the NITL lineup.

In absence of that, I’d rather they just release everything in the vaults of Chinese leftovers so it can be done with. At this point, I’m exhausted by it.

I really enjoyed Chinese Democracy as an album. But I think the best bits made the album. There’s nothing on the Village Leaks (with or without vocals) that stand out to me to make me want to hear more.

I also hear Chinese Democracy as a bit of a time capsule. Even when it was released, it didn’t sound like a 2008 album to me. It sounded like an unreleased album from the 90s, which it more or less was. So even now, listening to it, I hear it as a product of its era. Which is why the Slash and Duff remakes are fine…but also sort of sound weird. I like Absurd and Hard Skool, but they very much sound like songs from a previous era that they’re trying to “force” into a modern yet somehow also classic Guns sound. I’m perhaps not able to articulate what I mean, but ultimately I’d rather they just release the leftover Chinese Democracy songs and move on to something new if they insist on putting them out at all. I’m done with that era.

I guess that depends on the style of what the new stuff would be. The CD left overs are apart of Axl’s Magnum Opus which I find way more mature than 80% of what was written with Slash and Duff. 

that being said, it would be more exciting if they were putting out all new unheard stuff. My dream album for this lineup would look like this: 

4 or 5 newly written songs and then  re-records of Chinese, Better, Catcher plus hardskool ep plus perhaps or whatever else they dust off from that era 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion

4 minutes ago, GoodOlJohnnyK said:

I would prefer new music with the NITL lineup.

In absence of that, I’d rather they just release everything in the vaults of Chinese leftovers so it can be done with. At this point, I’m exhausted by it.

I really enjoyed Chinese Democracy as an album. But I think the best bits made the album. There’s nothing on the Village Leaks (with or without vocals) that stand out to me to make me want to hear more.

I also hear Chinese Democracy as a bit of a time capsule. Even when it was released, it didn’t sound like a 2008 album to me. It sounded like an unreleased album from the 90s, which it more or less was. So even now, listening to it, I hear it as a product of its era. Which is why the Slash and Duff remakes are fine…but also sort of sound weird. I like Absurd and Hard Skool, but they very much sound like songs from a previous era that they’re trying to “force” into a modern yet somehow also classic Guns sound. I’m perhaps not able to articulate what I mean, but ultimately I’d rather they just release the leftover Chinese Democracy songs and move on to something new if they insist on putting them out at all. I’m done with that era.

Yep, it just doesn't work that way. Plus, the material just never was very strong to begin with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Guapo said:

Yep, it just doesn't work that way. Plus, the material just never was very strong to begin with.

Yeah I think Slash and Duff did their best on Hard Skool and Absurd, which is why I think they’re pretty good, if not mind blowing.

The rest of the stuff with vocals, though, do nothing for me. The instrumental tracks are harder to gauge, of course, because Axl isn’t on them. But if there *are* completed vocals, which I doubt for most of them, then I’d hope they’re damn good because I don’t find the instrumental tracks to be very inspiring so Axl’s gonna have to do a lot of the heavy lifting, melodically.

• GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Bluefish18 said:

Outside of the song(s) we are about to get, my wish list would be for Duff to do "Goin Down" (who owns the rights to that song?) and, if Axl can't put lyrics to it, have the band use Oklahoma as a mid show -so Axl can catch a breather- jam.

I wouldn't like that at all. 

It's Tommy's song and he sings it better than Duff ever could. Axl should give the rights back and let Tommy release it.

• Like 2

NITL lineup with CD-era vocal tracks is likeliest route. It's certainly the easiest for Axl, even if it means binning months and years of studio tinkering. They'd be wholly new instrumentals - and Axl may troll us further by renaming the songs. Then it becomes a game of matching the vocals to the locker leaks.

The alternative is new vocal tracks. His voice is a lot different from the last confirmed studio sessions (2007ish). Discovering the current limitations of his studio voice is hardly a fun night out. So he may settle for playing the producer and pretending he did the vocals just the other day.

3 hours ago, Bluefish18 said:

Outside of the song(s) we are about to get, my wish list would be for Duff to do "Goin Down" (who owns the rights to that song?) and, if Axl can't put lyrics to it, have the band use Oklahoma as a mid show -so Axl can catch a breather- jam.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I wouldn't like that at all. 

It's Tommy's song and he sings it better than Duff ever could. Axl should give the rights back and let Tommy release it.

Tommy seemingly has gotten the rights, because he has registered Going Down on ASCAP as well as another one of his demos from the locker leaks as "10%er".

Wasn't the Use Your Illusion albums filled with Appetite leftovers or songs written during that era along with newly written songs ? I'd like them to do that again, mix the re-made CD leftovers with new songs and release two albums  on the same day again: Not In This Lifetime I and Not In This Lifetime II 

:)