CD leftovers or all new songs

This may be a controversial opinion, but I want Slash and Duff (and if they could get Izzy for this) to jam out with some acoustic guitars for a bit.  Come up with some cool jams, maybe turn a few into electric full band tunes (like they did with ISE) and have Axl sing over it all. 

Axl can still rasp it up at points and I am sure in the studio with as many takes and time as needed new vocals wouldn't be a disaster.  I think it would be fun hearing some just cool GNR sounding rock tunes from a band that banged them out like a rock band

Not that I don't want to hear CD leftovers and what Axl had going on, but the prospect of Slash bringing in a basic song as cool as Anastasia and it being for GNR is a very exciting one to me

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

This may be a controversial opinion, but I want Slash and Duff (and if they could get Izzy for this) to jam out with some acoustic guitars for a bit.  Come up with some cool jams, maybe turn a few into electric full band tunes (like they did with ISE) and have Axl sing over it all. 

Axl can still rasp it up at points and I am sure in the studio with as many takes and time as needed new vocals wouldn't be a disaster.  I think it would be fun hearing some just cool GNR sounding rock tunes from a band that banged them out like a rock band

Not that I don't want to hear CD leftovers and what Axl had going on, but the prospect of Slash bringing in a basic song as cool as Anastasia and it being for GNR is a very exciting one to me

I think we'd all love that. And I'm sure Slash N Duff are capable. Axl just works so slowly in the studio it'd be ages before we heard it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jimisbatman said:

Never mind about new songs, I just hope no ones pissed off the ginger ninja and he calls off Perhaps on Friday 11th.

Axl seems to be in a better place mentally and genuinely happy these days. I'd say a lot of that is due to Slash N Duff being back in the band. Now if we can just get a whole album after this third semi new single that'd be great.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Not just on this forum but in Facebook comments and stuff I've seen complaints saying GN'R should do an album of all new songs instead of touching up CD leftovers. This is my take. I'd love an album of all new material written by the current line up. But we all know how notoriously slow Axl is in the studio. So if Slash, Duff n Melissa replacing parts/adding their touches to existing material will get an album out quicker I'm all for it. Plus it gives them time and breathing room while they work on an album of all new material.

Another reason to release an album of CD leftovers first is the band knows the leaks are out there. It's in their interests to release new official versions.

In terms of breathing room they are WAY out of that, Axl is now in his 60s and his voice is what it is, there isn't going to be a voice in 10yrs. Not to say that what is coming isn't 'potentially' a proper record... who knows? but I think the best thing in terms of public perception is and has always been a combination album with some Chinese material mixed with material written by Axl/Slash/Duff be it from the '96 sessions, AFD years or something from the last 7 yrs. 

I see the chinese stuff coming out... at a slow rate, and then they go back on tour and we hear suggestions that they might make another record, but ultimately the upcoming release(s) will almost certainly be the final material they release while GNR is active. Axl just has not learnt how to move at a pace that isn't glacial.

As for the original question. Of course I would prefer a great record from the current band. However, if the 'potential' record they have cooked up is good, then I have no major issues with what year it was written or how many past members wrote the songs - good is good. I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that there is more material coming and some of which is music that we have not heard and it's strong material. I just hope whatever happens has a bit more depth and longevity than the last two songs. 

If I had to choose and it would be safe that Axl's gonna be writing and releasing new music in a normal tempo I'd take new songs of immediately, but in reality we know this ain't gonna happen. Give us what's there with Slash and Duff reworked and then I'm hoping they get Axl in the studio within the next ten years.

It’s lame how people keep thinking in black/white extremes only. 
Why just either of these options? Why not both?
In fact, I keep repeating here that ideally, it would be a mixture. CD2 + old stuff from 94–96 or earlier (if there’s anything left) + new songs. 
It’s true that revamping CD leftovers and releasing just those would probably be quicker, but I don’t think that would be the right move. People will compare the new album with the heyday stuff mercilessly, and I don’t think Slash came back just to have his parent band release an album where all he does is overdubbing someone else’s music. After all, I think he said he'd been writing new music for GNR. 
Hence it must be a mixture, and the same applies to any possible "future albums". 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, chester said:

Bring on the left overs! Axl seems done with recording and Slash’s recent solo efforts have been pretty lackluster. 

This. I really like most of Axl's creative muses from the Chinese Era (except the nu metal stuff) - he had mostly very good taste in music back then so the leftovers still seem interesting. More AFD style material or Slash's generic butt rock for a new album seems very uninspired and stale to me.

44 minutes ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

It’s a useless debate. Axl has no interest in recording new music. All we will ever possibly get is unreleased CD songs, and that’s that.

Seven or eight years ago it looked like Axl n Slash would never make up let alone share a stage again. There used to be so much bad blood between Axl n Steven who would've dreamed Steven would be allowed to guest drum at some shows?

Yeah I think Axl get the CD leftovers out first. That definitely doesn't mean he's not interested in doing all new music with the current band after.

New songs that they all work on together as a band! 

When you rerecord guitars over 20+ year old vocals/drums then you are going to end up with a bit of a Frankenstein type situation. 

You cant ever beat musicians playing a song together and feeling connected to it. 

• Like 2

I think its good if they release the leftovers to give a bookend on ChiDem and not waste a few really good songs but if its the last stuff we hear by the band it will be underwhelming. A few new songs after ChiDem leftovers are released would be a great way to end this band, im not hopeful though in the chances of that.

• Like 1

Finish what was initially intended with Chinese Democracy. The songs that didn't end up on the album that we got in 2008 were never leftovers, they were intended for future releases that for whatever reason never came to fruition. Axl to my ears was at the very top of his game vocally and creatively during the initial Chinese sessions. It's a travesty that the material has been sat on for this length of time, finish what he started and get them out for the public to hear.

There should be plenty of time down the road for them to create a new album from scratch, but whether or not it actually happens...time will tell.

• Like 3