Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

I think Robin had a good solo, but I don't think it is as good as some of his other solos on Chinese Democracy (which I am a big fan of). I can 100% see how people that have listened to the leak many times before would find the new solo to seem lazier and less interesting. I think they are apples/oranges. Robin's is more adventurous and creates new melodies, while Slash is just vibing in the song. Just two different approaches.

On par with “If the World” not great. So many classic Chinese Democracy songs that should’ve been released to Radio in 2008 and as singles with music videos. 

fast forward to 2023: we get b-sides like Absurd, Hard Skool & Perhaps released . And re-worked by the big 3!😂

so disappointing 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 minute ago, Top-Hatted One said:

On par with “If the World” not great. So many classic Chinese Democracy songs that should’ve been released to Radio in 2008 and as singles with music videos. 

fast forward to 2023: we get b-sides like Absurd, Hard Skool & Perhaps released . And re-worked by the big 3!😂

so disappointing 

I think Perhaps is much better than If the World. If the World is the only track on CD that I am tempted to skip over on every listen. I also was never big on IRS, even though I know that's like blasphemy to CD lovers. People wanting classic GNR are going to be unhappy with every single song released in the near future. They all sound like CD for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

so disappointing 

I think Perhaps is one of the best CD tracks (with Robin solo). In my perfect world, Axl Rose would have promoted the album, releasing TWAT as first single with epic UYI like music video, followed by Better, Street of Dreams, Catch in the Rye, and Prostitute. Music videos for all. And then CD II come out 2 to 3 years later with epic the General as first single, Perhaps, Atlass Shrugged, and who knows what else. What happened with Axl and GNR is absolute worst case scenario, ugh. I hate how Axl gave up and let himself go. I hate the reunion. I hate TB. 

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

with Perhaps coming out, everything from Rough Mixes 1 is now released with the exception of Atlas.

I hope we get another single before this tour is over but I’m hoping it’s The General. Throw Atlas on as a B side.

The General better be amazing and erase the previous 3 from my memory 

1 minute ago, DannyVinyard said:

I think Perhaps is one of the best CD tracks (with Robin solo). In my perfect world, Axl Rose would have promoted the album, releasing TWAT as first single with epic UYI like music video, followed by Better, Street of Dreams, Catch in the Rye, and Prostitute. Music videos for all. And then CD II come out 2 to 3 years later with epic the General as first single, Perhaps, Atlass Shrugged, and who knows what else. What happened with Axl and GNR is absolute worst case scenario, ugh. I hate how Axl gave up and let himself go. I hate the reunion. I hate TB. 

I agree on all accounts and I would throw in Shackler’s Revenge as another single

3 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

Radio was already dying then but that kind of proper promotion would’ve lead to Chinese Democracy, that era and that band getting a lot more mainstream praise and acknowledgment. 

now 90% of rock fans don’t know it exists or care to find out 

19 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

IDK. I just know his work in GNR is fantastic. 

Yeah, I like most of his work in GNR as well, but I think people get a little carried away about his skills around here. CD is by far the most he has ever recorded for an album. Curious why he hasn’t been on more stuff as he left GNR over 15 years ago and wasn’t on hardly anything before. 

36 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

I like Slash's version much more personally.  I never thought there was anything that noteworthy about Robin's version let alone anything epic about it lol what specifically about Robin's solo do you like?  Any particular melodic motifs or note choices that catch your ear?

Y'all defending Slash's solo have to be purposefully trolling, or being contrarians lol. It is a terrible solo. Honestly probably the worst Slash solo of any GNR song that comes to mind. Embarrassingly bad. 

One thing I really love about Perhaps is that I really think it has some of Axl’s best lyric work of the Chinese era. It’s the first song since the UYI era that really had lyrics that made me sit down and think about what they could mean, Axl’s state of mind, and despite listening to it for 4 years I still don’t fully know what it’s about. It’s not in the same way of TWAT, which feels kind of like a man just rambling, or TIL which is a soppy love song, but something really artistic and thought provoking.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Naupis said:

It should be a major criticism.

Axl & Slash haven't released original material together in 30 years and so far we have gotten a dribbling of filler level songs that are essentially discarded b-sides.

I weep at the way they have soiled what should have been a monumental moment when true "New" GNR material was heard by the world for the first time in 30 years.

They should have released nothing until they were ready to release a real single. Something that sounds like the GNR the world wants to hear. 

I think about when there was the question of how they would follow up Appetite and show the world they were anything but one album wonders and You Could be Mine properly kicked the world's ass and cast aside any doubt.

With each bit of follow up filler they are releasing they are diluting the brand in the event they actually do want to release proper music at some point. When so much time had passed releasing filler one after another doesn't send the kind of message you would want to.

If Axl thought the world just had to hear this stuff include it in a future box set. Don't keep releasing sub par stuff that gives the world everything but the impression "we're back".

Well said. Like Hard Skool you will never hear this song played on radio after about 4-5 days of somewhat regular rotation. I’d be embarrassed to show this to friends 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Radio was already dying then but that kind of proper promotion would’ve lead to Chinese Democracy, that era and that band getting a lot more mainstream praise and acknowledgment. 

now 90% of rock fans don’t know it exists or care to find out 

I wish to God that Axl would have released CD in 2002, before or during the tour. Imagine if he kept that band intact. Robin and Buckethead were guitar Gods. Brain, a drumming God. Axl in peak condition, primed and ready to take over the world. The ceiling for this band was very, very high. I still have my Spin magazine, "what the world needs now is Axl Rose". And nothing could be truer at the time. Axl Rose no show at Philly and back to the wilderness for 4 years was a dagger to my heart, to my soul. I used to brag to friends and family how amazing Chinese Democracy would be and I would later on be asked by them, "where's Chinese Democracy?". 

Edited by DannyVinyard
  • Like 2