Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

What makes this all even funnier is that they refer to it as their first new composition together since TSI… Did they forget that TSI is a covers album?

But Slash and Duff don’t have writing credits on those.

Slash and Duff have ASCAP writing credits on both November Rain and Estranged.

Perhaps is credited to Guns N Roses and hasn't been added to ASCAP yet.

3 minutes ago, DingBat said:

Why would it have to be from the 90's?

If they got in a studio together this year and created it from the ground up from only Axl's lyrics and piano (maybe even with Brain in studio) the statement makes some kind of sense.

I mean November Rain and Estranged existed in a stripped down form before Slash and Duff got anywhere near it.

Songwriting credits are different. 

The middle 8 and solo section doesn’t really sound like something those 3 would write. If the credits include Stinson, Finck etc… then we’ll know they just threw Slash and Duff a credit 

The way they described it says different though. We know they didn’t write this song in the last 5 years. We’ve also heard that the CD era band were working on a few tunes that originated from the old band 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Been too busy this week and in the wrong time zone to keep on top of all this. :(

Finally had chance to watch the official video and overall it's nicely done. Few changes to song but it's not radically different and I liked Perhaps anyway so I think it's a grower.

Not sure what all this indicates about an album release. Is the plan for all these singles to go on an album plus other unheard stuff or are they just clearing the vaults and an album will consist of genuinely new material? Who knows? Not me! :lol:

My guess is we get an EP of all the singles together plus another song or two we haven’t gotten yet. Such as Atlas 

After that is anyone’s guess. Does Axl even want to write? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

What pisses me off is they left the first note of the guitar solo in there from the 90s demo of this song. It’s just pretty depressing how they’ve been back together for going on 8 years now and we just get a couple Chinese leftovers with slash pasted over top them. It’s negativity but it’s the truth.

I mean - yeah, this is just so fucking weird, eh?

I just can't understand what they were thinking. Is it : 

a) a sloppy cut and paste?

b) Do they just think it sounds good?

c) Is it an artistic statement? (Ie, a musical version of : 'right, fuck off Robin, let's bring in Slash'). 

1 hour ago, Gimpy Hewitt said:

What pisses me off is they left the first note of the guitar solo in there from the 90s demo of this song. It’s just pretty depressing how they’ve been back together for going on 8 years now and we just get a couple Chinese leftovers with slash pasted over top them. It’s negativity but it’s the truth.

c) Is it an artistic statement? (Ie, a musical version of : 'right, fuck off Robin, let's bring in Slash'). 

I know this is probably faint praise but I like it better than absurd and hard skool and I really like the piano. Some of the vocals are kind of buried and I found heard to hear in the initial listens. 

I really like the video they released with the song as it shows the band as a group of people who actually get on which I think is a good thing. I really some of the lyrics even if they are repeated. 

I read Fernando’s responses on Reddit.  Some were a bit odd.  My guess is they know people have been clambering about the general for years.  My guess is it will be an as it was track. It would rule if we got atlas in November per what was discussed on Reddit and if they added with another b-side like soul monster or anything really. To me those would be the next other songs I’d really like to hear.  I like Atlas how it is, but would like to hear 2.0 version. Ultimately I’d like to hear a lot more of what was finished during the Chinese years, but I think it has a stopping point.  At some point slash and duff will want original stuff.  Maybe not though.  Whatever their contracts were/are probably drive that bus. I think Atlas will for sure come at some point. Just hope we continue seeing new old music and new new music. Oklahoma given its origins and time frame would rule.

general

oklahoma

atlas

soul monster

witchita lineman 

then new album current lineup 😄

I know.  Only in dreams right?

Edited by UYI4

15 minutes ago, Millions said:

It’s intentional. I just think of it as an ode to that version/era 

3 minutes ago, Underhardy said:

Can anybody link me to that Duff international interview he did in June where he said a new song would be out any week? Thanks..

He didn’t say that. He said “there will be GnR news soon. Could even be this week.” I think he was referring to the AFD reissue with the robot rapist cover art. We found about that shortly after.

I was listening to the other recent releases - Shadow, Hard Skool and Absurd - and noticed how Perhaps wasn't as loud as those others. Which is, of course, an excellent thing, as it's not brickwalled.

Mainly I only wish those other songs to be featured in an album if it is to have them remixed/remastered with decent levels. 

4 minutes ago, bmus1 said:

Lol they edited the description of the 7" to remove the bit about Slash/Duff/Axl writing Perhaps together this year.

Its true. It was just the obligatory fuck up :lol:

Ships on October 27, 2023

Guns N’ Roses return with a single entitled “Perhaps” out now via Geffen Records. It stands out as the legendary rock band’s first release since 2021. The 7” includes the R-Side, “The General.”

Tracklist:
Side G: Perhaps
Side R: The General

Limit 4 per customer

I was just listening to it with one headphone on and noticed the fill at 3:08 stick out in the left speaker. It sounds like it's the most obvious Richard playing on all 3 of the reunion singles? It could be Slash too but all of his fills are on the right guitar, unless he did both rhythms.