Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

On 8/16/2023 at 9:06 PM, Skamos66 said:

added Piano?

It's growing on me, not sure of the solo. It's not bad it's also not memorable. I think I like the Village version better. 

From the songs they have released so far I would rank them as 

1. Hard Skool

2. Perhaps

3. Shadow of Your Love

4. The song formerly known as Silkworms

In retrospect I'm glad to that these singles have been released as just singles. There was a lot of talk about the unreleased big guns and after hearing the Village demos I find these song to be underwhelming that releasing them as part of a full length would have been a disaster. If they are releasing these tracks to get them out of Axl system then hopefully the new (hopefuly) GnR album includes brand new tracks we haven't heard before and that are written by this line up. Wishful thinking, I know. 

The added Piano at the end, sounds comical to me and this quickly came to mind. 

https://images.app.goo.gl/XuJmiScSuvySipXc8

Edited by Chuerta86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chuerta86 said:

It's growing on me, not sure of the solo. It's not bad it's also not memorable. I think I like the Village version better. 

From the songs they have released so far I would rank them as 

1. Hard Skool

2. Perhaps

3. Shadow of Your Love

4. The song formerly known as Silkworms

In retrospect I'm glad to that these singles have been released as just singles. There was a lot of talk about the unreleased big guns and after hearing the Village demos I find these song to be underwhelming that releasing them as part of a full length would have been a disaster. If they are releasing these tracks to get them out of Axl system then hopefully the new (hopefuly) GnR album includes brand new tracks we haven't heard before and that are written by this line up. Wishful thinking, I know. 

Yeah I like all these songs and am glad they’re coming out but a full album of this stuff all at once probably woulda never lived up to the expectations, so maybe they’re actually doing it right.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 2

So how we doing this fine day forum? Ready for the after party tonight? 

Thoughts now it's sinking in a bit....what's everyone's thoughts on Perphaps (the song that got parole! 😏)

I've had a smile all day, basically....oh and it's Friday! 

I think it's funny, reading a bunch of comments from fans on YT and around and even from "journalists" who've perceived this song as Axl's sorry to the guys (S&D) for his fault in breaking the band up,.etc....

It's funny because it's.probably the total reverse, being from that era...it's more, I thought you were my brother's, perhaps I was wrong....

Lyrics are up for intreputation for whatever you see in it, that's why songs are so cool, what I see you don't and vice a versa....

• Confused 1
  • PERHAPS 1

9 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Thoughts now it's sinking in a bit....what's everyone's thoughts on Perphaps (the song that got parole! 😏)

I think it's funny, reading a bunch of comments from fans on YT and around and even from "journalists" who've perceived this song as Axl's sorry to the guys (S&D) for his fault in breaking the band up,.etc....

It's funny because it's.probably the total reverse, being from that era...it's more, I thought you were my brother's, perhaps I was wrong....

Lyrics are up for intreputation for whatever you see in it, that's why songs are so cool, what I see you don't and vice a versa....

Didn’t you post this already on a different thread?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rocknroll41 said:

Maybe another reason why they’re trying to trick everyone into thinking this is a newly-written song is to push the narrative that the lyrics are about Axl growing up/ apologizing/ asking for forgiveness.

Well who knows....I guess he did feel rejected in the late 90s and he mentions the feelings of rejections and it wasn't an excuse for his actions, so....sometimes songs grow in meaning over years, right? This one means something completely different to how we'd perceive it if we're in 2001, for sure...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Feeling good! Feels like some real momentum in the GN'Rverse for the first time in a very long time indeed! Can't believe The General's actually coming out! 

As for the lyrics, could be taken multiple ways, given Chinese has a lot of break-up songs on it, it could be about Stephanie Seymour or the old (well I guess they're now the current!) band. I like that a lot of Axl's lyrics are open to interpretation. I wonder what average music fans make of it. GN'R's a bit of a funny band in that regard as it seems that whilst they're a huge deal touring wise it's still mainly just us folks on here that care about new music and know all the history. It's a fun time to be a GN'R fan for sure. Hoping they capitalise on this momentum some more! If Soul Monster is Me and My Elvis with vocals then that's the holy grail for me as I love that instrumental to bits. Would make a nice B-Side to Atlas methinks :lol:

We've got Axl guesting on the Schenker album as well - very similar vibe to the mid-late 2000s in GN'R land in terms of activity! Love the Perhaps 8-ball as well merch wise. 

I've managed to pick up Hard Skool on vinyl - consider me fully back in GN'R nerd-dom and it feels great!  

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Is Brain still considered the studio drummer for GNR maybe, and Ferrer is essentially just a touring piece? I know the Brain drum tracks were recorded over 20 years ago, but he still seems to be pretty heavily involved with the band. Maybe he was on the tour last year to give his thoughts on the drums or how they sounded on the tracks.

Brain should be touring w them. Tremendous drummer for this band and he gets it

• Like 4

1 hour ago, The Real McCoy said:

I have to say…my favorite thing about the video is how it presents GNR as a BAND.

They could have just focused on Axl, Slash, and Duff, but I really do love how everyone gets equal screen time and there’s enough close ups of everyone to show them off to casual fans.

It really does feel like this is the beginning of something big.

I agree, also introducing Fernando as a formal member makes justice for the poor guy

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, youngunner said:

Brain should be touring w them. Tremendous drummer for this band and he gets it

Maybe Brain's happy just doing the studio stuff, some musicians prefer it that way. I mean, given he's still on the books it seems I'd be surprised if having him on drums hasn't crossed Axl's mind at some point. I do love that 2006 line up to bits - whilst no Bucket, I'm a huge Bumble fan and the shows sounded incredible. I feel not capitalising on that 2006 energy was the biggest missed opportunity - Axl sounded phenomenal, the band were super tight. Still gutted this many years on that I couldn't make the Wembley show I had tickets for :lol:

Brain is the best drummer the band ever had, all a round drumming Outlook wise. Steven was the best sound, the swing man - Phil Rudd type of gem in him. But Brain got Stevens groove, wasnt a robot on the UYI stuff like Matt and slays Frank to bits on any CD number. Miss him.

It is an Ok song, better than a few that made on CD and I love that album, so good effort. But I am really waiting for the General, Tommy Stinson likes It, Thus I reckon I will.

best regards,

oldie member since 2002

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I like all these songs and am glad they’re coming out but a full album of this stuff all at once probably woulda never lived up to the expectations, so maybe they’re actually doing it right.

I don't think releasing full albums is the right way to go these days. People have VERY short attention spans. I feel like we've come full circle to where the music industry was in the 1950's, when it was all about singles. Albums didn't really become a big deal until the mid to late 1960's and beyond.

That being said...if GN'R continues releasing a couple songs every once in awhile, eventually the fans can put together an album of 8-10 songs if they wish to do so. That's cool. 

• Like 2