Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

Just had my friends listen to the song. They know im a diehard gnr fan. 

They know my obsession with gnr and the Chinese sessions etc. 

They like it. They like the riffs and the piano work on it. 

Work like this might them buy n ep or album whenever it comes

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, gnrjanus said:

Just had my friends listen to the song. They know im a diehard gnr fan. 

They know my obsession with gnr and the Chinese sessions etc. 

They like it. They like the riffs and the piano work on it. 

Work like this might them buy n ep or album whenever it comes

Same here, LOVE this song!

Okay, so now, after two performances ... this song doesn't work live - at least on in the way Axl does it. Even the verses are bad, he sounds like he's just shouting them. The chorus is a mess.

If you told me that he never tried to sing it before the first performance I would absolutely believe you. Especially since he said that "I'll have to figure out how to sing it".

The chorus 100% needs to be split up. Either do the lyrics or the All Alone-part, both doesn't work.

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Now that the recency bias is wearing off, I’m starting to think I actually still prefer the 2021 songs over Perhaps. I still like Perhaps, though, and am still looking forward to The General, of course.

I feel the same way too. I think in the context of an album Perhaps is fine but on its own it's a little boring, doesn't really go anywhere. But I've still been playing it a lot.

I think it is really good and am enjoying listening to a new GnR tune finally.  It’s not going to be a huge hit but it’s a solid song.  Would have been better if it came out 15 years ago as it should have.  Hopefully they will keep releasing and eventually get one more new album “soon” lol 

1 hour ago, marinergtfc said:

Yup, just listened to her show via bbc sounds - song is around the 1hr 23m mark.

she got it wrong tho’ said the song is from the Hard Skool ep.

BBC great as cock ups, Glastonbury audio was one...and the women's world cup final (WOMANS) the BBC pundit said they were man marking ...who wants to tell them😆

4 hours ago, DSTK said:

Hopefully the general is good ,but as it's only a B side, I've doubts

I'll actually laugh my cock off if it's poor after all the hype it's had here and Reddit ,from people who claim it's brilliant, having never heard it..the world of GNR is odd, never have high hopes or expect anything to happen...then anything good is a bonus 

The big G is the best song ever....just fucking trust me! 😏

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

A buddy who isn’t a big GNR fan told me he heard it on the radio the other day & it sounded good. Even went on about how even though he doesn’t like Axl’s vocal style personally he appreciates his talent. For me this is pretty vindicating because I e been going on for 4 years about how they need to put out Perhaps as a single lol.

Edited by The Matinator
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

A buddy who isn’t a big GNR fan told me he heard it on the radio the other day & it sounded good. Even went on about how even though he doesn’t like Axl’s vocal style personally he appreciates his talent. For me this is pretty vindicating because I e been going on for 4 years about how they need to put out Perhaps as a single lol.

Patience is a virtue as well as a song! 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

If they were going to keep anything from Robin, it should’ve been those guitar bend licks in the pre-choruses. They really added to the track and would’ve sounded great alongside the ascending synth lines that replaced them 

I do like the weepy nature of the guitar in the verses and then the pre-chorus of the locker leak. But there is also something messy about it. Not the way Finck is playing. More so there is just too much going on in the mix. A cacophony of sound, if you will. The studio release allows Axl’s vocals to breathe a bit before that killer chorus. It’s more piano keys and bass.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PaoloLA said:

It’s been days now, Perhaps has been on YouTube and available on streaming services. But I don’t know about you guys in your city, but here in Montreal, the local rock station hasn’t played it once….. Am I missing something??

I don’t listen to radio, really. I’m not sure Chicago even has a rock station that plays new rock music. There’s one that plays classic rock. So right now, for example, it’s “You Give Love a Bad Name.” Then there’s another station that’s alt rock. They seem to play older stuff too. I see Gotye “Somebody That I Used to Know” and “Blitzkrieg Bop” recently played. 

The best rock station we have is probably WXRT, but they don’t play bands like GNR. And honestly, I am not sure why. They play Pearl Jam, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Death Cab, Smashing Pumpkins, Ramones. Bunch of new and old stuff mixed in.

Therein lies the problem with legacy acts and new music. Chicago is a huge city and doesn’t have a radio station that plays new rock music. So I didn’t expect “Perhaps” to be on the radio, really. I wonder if it’s getting rotation on any Sirius stations.

Edited by GnR Chris

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Okay, so now, after two performances ... this song doesn't work live - at least on in the way Axl does it. Even the verses are bad, he sounds like he's just shouting them. The chorus is a mess.

If you told me that he never tried to sing it before the first performance I would absolutely believe you. Especially since he said that "I'll have to figure out how to sing it".

The chorus 100% needs to be split up. Either do the lyrics or the All Alone-part, both doesn't work.

I dunno man, I was really worried about how it would sound (hello Hard Skool) but I'm pleasantly surprised how well it sounds (to me).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

I’m shocked he goes for both. I’d be more into Duff and Dizzy handling the low register part with Melissa and Axl singing “you’re all alone.”