Perhaps - New Guns N' Roses Single - Discussion

12 minutes ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Well, there was 7 years between them all leaving and Contraband happening. The fact that they didn't immediately form a new band in 1997 or 1998 suggests they were all burned out and needed some time apart.

But Axl has inarguably been the least productive of them all as far as releasing new music. The fact that he's still clinging to songs that are 18-25 years old and releasing them one at a time decades after they were written kind of says it all 

I like the songs and do want to hear the remainder but yes it is a bit incredible when you contextualise it

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

Review of sorts:

https://metalinsider.net/reviews/track-review-perhaps-latest-from-long-time-rockers-guns-n-roses

"This piano-laden midtempo song gives off a Rocky Horror Picture Show meets Jamiroquai-type vibe, with lyrics that take the listener on a trip down a hole of self-doubt, regret, and self-reflection. "

What the hell :lol:

I can't think of any more random comparison than this. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Review of sorts:

https://metalinsider.net/reviews/track-review-perhaps-latest-from-long-time-rockers-guns-n-roses

"This piano-laden midtempo song gives off a Rocky Horror Picture Show meets Jamiroquai-type vibe, with lyrics that take the listener on a trip down a hole of self-doubt, regret, and self-reflection. "

That's such an odd, random comparison that it's probably AI generated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

I agree most of that blame is Axl’s fault. What did the new GNR members think of him personally and/or his writing abilities? 

Seems like the only guy on record who actually likes Paul Tobias is Pitman and possibly Dizzy.

7 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Yeah fair enough, it could very well be as you said. As @Cosmo mentioned earlier, maybe Tobias was a strawman for Slash and the band to vent their frustration at Axl. Just a guy that was thrust into a situation that was already toxic and falling apart. He wasn't a particularly likable person which probably disintegrated relationships faster. I remember Marc Canter once saying here that Slash didn't like him because he wasn't cool enough to be in the band - that Paul was considered a "bedroom" guitar player by Slash. I'm not a guitar player so I can't evaluate Tobias' playing but what we know is that he doesn't really have significant writing credit (above 15-20%) on any of these tracks he's associated with. There are a number of songs with Izzy as the primary songwriter. That's difference #1 between Izzy and Tobias. Izzy was also an excellent rhythm player, hall of fame worthy - him and Slash are a legendary guitar duo. Izzy may not be the most technical player, but he's got the chops to elevate songs with his playing - much has been made of the guitar interplay of Slash and Izzy on Appetite. Does Tobias have that kind of influence on CD songs from a songwriting or playing standpoint? DId he even play rhythm on anything aside from Sympathy for the Devil? :question:

It seems to me like Paul was in GnR not necessarily for his talent but rather to fill an emotional void in Axl's life.

This quote:

"Paul is in my mind completely useless. I hate that guy. I’m sorry, I’m sure he’s very nice but in a rock n roll context he’s pathetic, and as far as his relationship with Izzy, they’re Indiana kids, I can understand he feels comfortable, but I refuse to ever play with him again. I have to go home and deal with that, but as far as I know he’s out [Spin, Kerrang! July 1995"

To me shows how personal and juvenile things had gotten. 

You know this guy's a personal friend of Axl's so to publicly air him out like that, he was going out of his way to be antagonistic

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Not many people know that Axl actually wrote Perhaps for Meat Loaf :lol:

"Bat Out Of Hell IV - Hey, Hey"

• Haha 3
  • PERHAPS 1

8 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

Sure, but you implied that chord-based riffs would be Axl/CD signature, even though old GNR songs were already like that. There are some CD songs that are built on more traditional guitar riffs, even if they don't sound traditional, like Better, Shacklers, Scraped, Riad and maybe IRS (not sure if that intro counts as a small solo or a riff. it does repeat at some point). 

Being a signature of one era also does not mean it cannot exist in other eras. And the old GNR songs you picked were all outliers, kinda proving my point if you had to reach back to some of the first songs they ever wrote and didn't deem good enough for the albums, as well as ones not written by Slash at all. 

My whole point was that Hardskool is not Slash's writing style.

7 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Vocals are pretty clearly a different take. Axl says words differently. 

I did a back to back and the only differences are the "hey hey"s and the low harmony in the chorus. 99% of the rest is identical.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Review of sorts:

Jamiroquai....? :D

3 hours ago, RONIN said:

Seems like the only guy on record who actually likes Paul Tobias is Pitman and possibly Dizzy.

Weren't they basically a shadow group that worked together? Checks out, Dizzy would also probably have more sympathy for Paul as an outsider coming into this massively successful band.

9 hours ago, mystery said:

Dave Abbruzzese has ironically become the Slash of Pearl Jam in that any performance posted of early 90's Pearl Jam are about how people prefer him to Matt Cameron and how he gave the band more energy.

Also regarding the Chinese Democracy sessions, the biggest revelation from the leaks outside Atlas Shrugged was 3 Dollar Pyramid which showed the basic music for Better was written in 2000.

Better has always felt like a song that happened much later which it kind of did with vocals but the basis of it was around much earlier than most people would think.

It's interesting to see that Tobias plays on Better as well, but not Shackler's, Scraped, or Sorry. Those last three seem to be the ones that were put together around 2006/7 (though we know Sorry and Shackler's existed as Buckethead & Brain instrumentals back in 2000 thanks to the Village leaks). The lack of both Tobias and Buckethead on TIL makes me think that was a late addition in terms of the final version (though obviously the earliest demos would have been the oldest of all the ChiDem songs).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That Paul Huge somehow brought down Guns N' Roses doesn't make sense, The problems between Axl and Slash started much, much before Paul entered the picture. He became the focal point for Slash venting his frustration at the time. Sure, from the little we know, Axl could have handled things differently, being more tactful around Slash who was already checking out of the band, not bruise his ego on top of everything, but Paul just speeded the inevitable process up: Slash was leaving regardless. 

It doesn’t make sense? Don’t be obtuse. Slash, Duff and Matt all strongly disliked this guy that was forced upon them. Forced upon them btw in a douchey way during a chaotic time. They tried to work with him to be good sports. They ending up detesting him even more and Axl was too dumb or too egomaniacal to realize what was going to happen. What happened? Slash, Matt and then Duff all left the band. Guns N Roses as most people knew it or would accept it was now over for the next 20 years. I mean it’s Axl’s fault at the end of the day, but saying Paul the Pawn brought down GNR makes a lot of sense imo. 

• Like 3
  • Wow 1

16 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

That Paul Huge somehow brought down Guns N' Roses doesn't make sense, The problems between Axl and Slash started much, much before Paul entered the picture. He became the focal point for Slash venting his frustration at the time. Sure, from the little we know, Axl could have handled things differently, being more tactful around Slash who was already checking out of the band, not bruise his ego on top of everything, but Paul just speeded the inevitable process up: Slash was leaving regardless. 

As for someone else suggesting that Paul became a substitute for Izzy. It seems like the Axl/Paul relationship, at least as far as writing goes, predates Axl/Izzy. Axl and Paul had Shadow of Your Love written already in 1982, before Axl had settled for good in Los Angeles. In Axl's mind, where a band can be a fluid thing with people coming and going, bringing Paul in to help write music wasn't such a huge thing and aligned with how it had been done previously (just look at song credits, everyone and their mother have been writing songs for GN'R), but to Slash, who have a more traditional understanding of a "band" it was unforgivable to "force" Paul into the band (especially after Slash's suggestions were shut down), and it is hard for me to not be sympathetic to Slash here. It was a case of Axl belittling Slash by deciding how things should be. 

Still, I don't think Paul was meant to be a touring musician, and he also didn't last long when he got the chance.

And I don't think one quote from a guy with a score to settle "says it all". It just provides one opinion. I would think Duff would have phrased thigs differently today. What we lack are quotes from the other guys who got to work with Paul over an extended period, and quotes from Paul himself. Then we can say we got it all. Still, it is quite possible Paul didn't handle the situation well, either, and maybe he wasn't completely attuned to the emotional chaos he entered and didn't play his cards with tact and empathy, but this is just speculation. 

He played what, four shows? I'm thinking HOB 01/01/01, Rio, and the two December 2001 shows, right?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

He played what, four shows? I'm thinking HOB 01/01/01, Rio, and the two December 2001 shows, right?

Correct. Another apparent little fun fact, both songs that he was credited on (original versions predate GNR) were the subject of a lawsuit by Chris Weber:

Weber claimed to have co-written "Shadow of Your Love" (appears as a b-side on various releases, released as a single in 2018) and "Back Off Bitch" (from Use Your Illusion I), suing the band over songwriting credits, although the case was settled and Weber did not receive songwriting credits.

1 minute ago, Martin Riggs said:

Correct. Another apparent little fun fact, both songs that he was credited on (original versions predate GNR) were the subject of a lawsuit by Chris Weber:

Weber claimed to have co-written "Shadow of Your Love" (appears as a b-side on various releases, released as a single in 2018) and "Back Off Bitch" (from Use Your Illusion I), suing the band over songwriting credits, although the case was settled and Weber did not receive songwriting credits.

It wouldn't surprise me, at least with Shadow. He's credited on 3/5 Hollywood Rose songs on The Roots of Guns N' Roses.

31 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

It doesn’t make sense? Don’t be obtuse. 

What I meant was, it wasn't the sole reason for why Slash left. It was the tip of the iceberg.

31 minutes ago, luciusfunk said:

Yep.

14 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

Regardless of whether Chris Weber thought he contributed sufficiently to earn song writing credits (which in the end he didn't despite reaching a settlement), there is no doubt about Paul's involvement. Alan Santalesa mentioned hearing Axl and Paul play Shadow of Your Love in Jagosz' garage (where London practised) back in the summer of 1982, well before Weber was in the picture. The song was then worked on by Hollywood Rose before ending up in GN'R where undoubtedly if was further reworked or finalized.