"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

18 minutes ago, LandOla said:

Wait...wasn't it claimed somewhere that The General became State of grace. Soon we will know.

State of grace was referred to as State of Grace back in 2002. The General was referred to as The General back in 2002 and later. So if anything, it should be the other way around. But that is also unlikely for many reasons, including lyrical themes, the recording at the party, and the orchestration at the live shows.

Anyone else kinda miffed about how the EP is being marketed?  “Written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year”

Uhhhh Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, and Buckethead might like to have a word with you…

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, SurfsUp said:

Anyone else kinda miffed about how the EP is being marketed?  “Written and recorded by Axl Rose, Slash, and Duff McKagan this year”

Uhhhh Robin Finck, Tommy Stinson, and Buckethead might like to have a word with you…

Yeah, that doesn't sit well with me. A bit of history revision and a denial of musicians who contributed to the writing and arrangement of the song.

• Like 2

7" preordered this morning.

I also have a question out of curiosity, not sure if it's worth opening its own thread, so I'm posting here first since it's kinda related. Does anyone (maybe @SoulMonster and  @Blackstar have this info in the a4d archive?) remember where/when we heard the title 'The General' for the first time? I remember Sebastian Bach talking about it before CD was released, I'd say 2007 or early 2008, but I don't remember if we had ever heard the title before that.

EDIT: I checked the song archive on a4d and apparently it was first mentioned by Beltrami in 2002 https://www.a-4-d.com/t7987-the-general Thank you for the great work!

Edited by Twinaleblood
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, jamillos said:

I just need to digest this slowly. 

Guns N’ Roses have just released a proper live music video for a new single AND announced "The General" to be released as well in just two months. 

Nah, that’s too much for a GN’R fan. 
I mean, I’ve read that if you’re crawling in the desert, then suddenly come across an oasis and drink too much water at once, it could harm you, if not even kill you. 

Plans might change, you know? :D

• GNFNR 1

6 minutes ago, Twinaleblood said:

7" preordered this morning.

I also have a question out of curiosity, not sure if it's worth opening its own thread, so I'm posting here first since it's kinda related. Does anyone (maybe @SoulMonster and  @Blackstar have this info in the a4d archive?) remember where/when we heard the title 'The General' for the first time? I remember Sebastian Bach talking about it before CD was released, I'd say 2007 or early 2008, but I don't remember if we had ever heard the title before that.

Well, Marco Bertrami mentioned the title in 2002/2003. He did the work in the summer of 2002, so that should mean it was called The General by then.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MJRemastered98 said:

Now, I really hope that this doesn't leak and we all get to listen to it at the same time. It would be magical to listen to an new-er-ish gnr song which we haven't heard before

To me this would be even better than the 2019 leaks (in terms of hype and feels)

If it would leak NOW I simply  wouldn't listen to it. Maybe download it, because, you know...:D

23 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

State of grace was referred to as State of Grace back in 2002. 

Really? First I'd ever heard of it was the Village leaks so that totally flew under my radar. Who mentioned it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SurfsUp said:

Yeah, it is odd. The only thing I could think of is that The General may have been so heavily reworked by Slash and Duff that it became a co-write, however I guess we'll never know as we haven't heard earlier versions properly. 

3 hours ago, allwaystired said:

It's only 7 inch though so it's going to be a lot shorter. 

5 minutes is apparently the maximum you can fit on one side 

https://peakvinyl.com/record-playtimes/#:~:text=A 7-inch 45 RPM,a majority of the market.

So we know now The General is not more than 5 minutes long.....meaning it isn't the 'epic' we have been told it is. 

Well with 5 minutes you can do a lot... Hopefully this song is a bad mofo like we've hoped!

I thought it was going to be a 10 minute monster with a big string intro and outro, I think it's probably a bit more subtle 😄

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

No, not by us, but the Village leaks proves that that was it's name back then. 

2000 it was, yeah. I suppose the uncertainty of what happened to the track after that date and the exclusion of anything that resembled what we can sort of make out on the phone recording from Vienna of The General on the Village leaks perhaps solidified good ol' Pele in his belief that SOG and The General are the same song. I never understood how he reached that conclusion based on what is audible from that party clip, but he did mention here that he was told they were the same song by an alleged insider. I'm still of the verdict that they are entirely two different songs.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Well with 5 minutes you can do a lot... Hopefully this song is a bad mofo like we've hoped!

I thought it was going to be a 10 minute monster with a big string intro and outro, I think it's probably a bit more subtle 😄

You can fit 6-7 minutes on a 7 Inch record at 33RPM. So it could be a longer song. 

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lethalis said:

Well, let's hope it really has vocals :lol:

I've been 16 years on this forum... 16 years reading about this mythical song. It can never live up to the hype.

But I'm very interested in hearing it of course.

Yeah, I'm not sure it can ever really live up to the hype. But I will gladly listen to it and judge that for myself.

This is definitely some great news! Trying to not get excited because who knows if something changes or gets altered last minute. But it's just really awesome to see The General listed. No Spotify shenanigans, no major speculation. It's just right there. If they would do that more often, and stop beating around the bush, I'd be a much more optimistic person. :lol:

• Like 3