"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

1 hour ago, AxlRQ93 said:

I hope the general isn’t compressed like absurd and hs were. Would be nice to have some dynamic range 

I would rather first hope the song is something you will like first of all, because if it does nothing for you, what will being able to say "it has nice dynamic range" do for you haha. As an example Van Halens Balance is one of the best sounding and best mixed albums I've ever heard, but many of the songs just do nothing for me, so it's sort of wasted for me.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I would rather first hope the song is something you will like first of all, because if it does nothing for you, what will being able to say "it has nice dynamic range" do for you haha. As an example Van Halens Balance is one of the best sounding and best mixed albums I've ever heard, but many of the songs just do nothing for me, so it's sort of wasted for me.

I think that goes without saying

2 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's just a bit absurd to me that people are already going into things like sound quality about a song they don't even know if they like yet:lol:What if it's the best quality sounding song you've heard, but the song itself listening to it leaves you with "meh", I'm still not going to go back and listen to a song I don't care for because it has great recording quality lol.

I mean yeah? Will be great if it's mixed well etc. But that's not a priority I think about when anticipating a song I don't know I'll even like yet.

In this site there are people waiting for the song only to say “Slash fucks the solo or the drums don’t fit well”

• Like 1

15 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

It's just a bit absurd to me that people are already going into things like sound quality about a song they don't even know if they like yet:lol:What if it's the best quality sounding song you've heard, but the song itself listening to it leaves you with "meh", I'm still not going to go back and listen to a song I don't care for because it has great recording quality lol.

I mean yeah? Will be great if it's mixed well etc. But that's not a priority I think about when anticipating a song I don't know I'll even like yet.

It’s because Guns N’ Roses. We wouldn’t even be worried about the mix and master if it wasn’t for the trash production or Hard Skool and Absurd. Perhaps was an exception, so I hope The General is the same. Expectations of mixing and mastering were set high with the last album in 2008. (Though IMO the bass guitars needed +2 dB. 😉)

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

It’s because Guns N’ Roses. We wouldn’t even be worried about the mix and master if it wasn’t for the trash production or Hard Skool and Absurd. Perhaps was an exception, so I hope The General is the same. Expectations of mixing and mastering were set high with the last album in 2008. (Though IMO the bass guitars needed +2 dB. 😉)

I really don't understand why so many people have such big problems with the mixes of the new songs. Other than Hard Skool's backing vocals being burried, I really don't see what's that wrong with them, yet most people act like they're the worst recordings ever released 😂

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

I really don't understand why so many people have such big problems with the mixes of the new songs. Other than Hard Skool's backing vocals being burried, I really don't see what's that wrong with them, yet most people act like they're the worst recordings ever released 😂

If you listen with a good pair of headphones, you can tell when a song sound better.

Or not, but other people can. Not sure why is it a problem to want a proper quality for a new track. 

1 minute ago, Dean said:

Compare Hard Skool and Absurd to the rest of the catalogue and it's pretty evident. They fall well below par to what GNR have previously put out from a mastering/production stand point. A good master can elevate a good song to a great song and Hard Skool would have benefitted from more handiwork in that regard. 

The only thing that's evident to me is they sound different, which is to be expected from a different lineup and with them being released (and in part, recorded) at different times when trends have been different.

The older stuff sounds older – not bad by any means, just of their time – and the new stuff sounds new. Even the leaks of all of the three recent singles sound dated – the production of the released versions makes them sound current and modern. They sound perfectly fine to me listening in the 2020s 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

If you listen with a good pair of headphones, you can tell when a song sound better.

Or not, but other people can. Not sure why is it a problem to want a proper quality for a new track. 

I have done, they sound fine. I simply do not understand the hate 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If you compare "Hard Skool" to for example, "I Sat by the Ocean" by Queens of the Stone Age, a relatively recent rock recording (in the last 10 years) to me the difference is huge - Hard Skool is EQ'd and mixed to where the sound is super thin, Axl's vocals have a lot of needless reverb on it, the drums sound resampled to hell and all of that just doesn't sit with the guitar parts which is a shame because I enjoy what Slash did with the tune

Comparing that to the QOTSA track, every instrument sits well, the overall sound is full bodied, the vocals blend perfectly with the track, and everything just has this overall clarity that "Hard Skool" doesn't have

That said I do find "Absurd" slightly better and "Perhaps" the best of the three so far

Finally, an explanation rather than 'it's bad because it sounds bad' 😂 Seriously, much appreciated, and I'll give that a listen.

That said, I'm not sure 'thin' is a word I'd use to describe any of the new stuff, but that could be just down to personal interpretation. There definitely seems to be a thicker, fuller sound when compared to Chinese Democracy where, among all those layers, the bass has got lost. It's nice to have that driving the song. I like a strong bass sound

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

If you compare "Hard Skool" to for example, "I Sat by the Ocean" by Queens of the Stone Age, a relatively recent rock recording (in the last 10 years) to me the difference is huge - Hard Skool is EQ'd and mixed to where the sound is super thin, Axl's vocals have a lot of needless reverb on it, the drums sound resampled to hell and all of that just doesn't sit with the guitar parts which is a shame because I enjoy what Slash did with the tune

Comparing that to the QOTSA track, every instrument sits well, the overall sound is full bodied, the vocals blend perfectly with the track, and everything just has this overall clarity that "Hard Skool" doesn't have

That said I do find "Absurd" slightly better and "Perhaps" the best of the three so far

To be fair, the reverb on Axls voice are more of a creative decision, I guess. 

There’s also a problem with lack of dynamics. The quieter parts like the slide in Hard Skool are just as loud. This overpower the louder parts, and the song feels tiresome. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I Sat By The Ocean by QOTSA is just a "better" song than Hard Skool. I'm listening to it to check it out for the first time atm on a friggin mobile phone speaker.

The riff just makes you wanna dance and I'm not even a QOTSA fan per se. I like some songs but that's it. But I really like the simplicity of it and I want to pick up my guitar and play along to it.

Absurd and Hard Skool just aren't that good.

Perhaps at least has its moments (I really like the piano during the guitar solo) and is just a better overall song than Absurd and Hard Skool.

Edited by Lethalis
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Lethalis said:

I Sat By The Ocean by QOTSA is just a "better" song than Hard Skool. I'm listening to it to check it out for the first time atm on a friggin mobile phone speaker.

The riff just makes you wanna dance and I'm not even a QOTSA fan per se. I like some songs but that's it. But I really like the simplicity of it and I want to pick up my guitar and play along to it.

Absurd and Hard Skool just aren't that good.

Perhaps at least has its moments (I really like the piano during the guitar solo) and is just a better overall song than Absurd and Hard Skool.

The riff makes you wanna dance? To me it's one of the the least danceable riffs I've ever come across. I gave the song a listen because people praised it, but I thought it was a pretty boring song. Repetitive, lacking any intriguing elements. It didn't really capture my interest. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a grudge against Queens of the Stone Age. Just like you, I enjoy a few of their tracks, but many others just don't do it for me.

Sure, the QOTSA song might be better mixed, but for me, mixing is the least important part of a song, by far. It's all about the energy, the melodies, the riffs, the electrifying solos, the vocals, the lyrics, the spark of originality, and so much more that truly matter. "Hard Skool" and "Absurd" stand out, especially in terms of their sheer energy. In a world where most contemporary rock music seems to lack that punch, these two tracks were a breath of fresh air.

Naturally, I lean towards these songs over "I Sat By The Ocean," but opinions are like assholes etc. I'm not here to engage in futile debates about tastes and preferences; I simply wanted to share my perspective on these songs. Those who aren't fans of the new tracks tend to be quite vocal about it, and it can give the impression of a unanimous sentiment. So I think it's good that people who appreciate these songs share their viewpoints as well.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

The riff makes you wanna dance? To me it's one of the the least danceable riffs I've ever come across. I gave the song a listen because people praised it, but I thought it was a pretty boring song. Repetitive, lacking any intriguing elements. It didn't really capture my interest. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have a grudge against Queens of the Stone Age. Just like you, I enjoy a few of their tracks, but many others just don't do it for me.

Sure, the QOTSA song might be better mixed, but for me, mixing is the least important part of a song, by far. It's all about the energy, the melodies, the riffs, the electrifying solos, the vocals, the lyrics, the spark of originality, and so much more that truly matter. "Hard Skool" and "Absurd" stand out, especially in terms of their sheer energy. In a world where most contemporary rock music seems to lack that punch, these two tracks were a breath of fresh air.

Naturally, I lean towards these songs over "I Sat By The Ocean," but opinions are like assholes etc. I'm not here to engage in futile debates about tastes and preferences; I simply wanted to share my perspective on these songs. Those who aren't fans of the new tracks tend to be quite vocal about it, and it can give the impression of a unanimous sentiment. So I think it's good that people who appreciate these songs share their viewpoints as well.

I guess it's all relative, but a good mix allows all those important parts of the song to shine and can really transform a song and a shit mix can make a song sound dead, even if it's a great tune. I think that doing a mix is an artistic process as well, and a crucial part of any good record.

9 hours ago, DoMw94 said:

Loudness of the songs of A & HS. Check the compression levels against CD album. Different quality. One is masterfully mixed, the other sounds it was mixed like a limp bizkit demo lol