"The General" is officially delayed... but "The General" AND "Monsters" is (unofficially) out of the bag

38 minutes ago, alangarcianr said:

3 days away and zero promotioN

not even a single mention on instagram or anything

even an animated teaser with some cool artwork will do it

This again? 🤦‍♂️

There's been plenty of promotion... for Perhaps, y'know, the actual single. The General is not a single, has never been designated a single, and likely never will, either.

We know this. We've known this since we found out the song was coming. It's not ground that needs retreading every day

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GNR 1991 said:

I think it would be funny if the song was only 3.5-4 mins long. People might lose their shit.

Look at the past three releases, none of them even get to the 4 min mark. I wouldn’t be surprised if this is the same case for The General. 

With 2.5 minutes of it being this weird ass intro/orchestration. :lol:

On 10/16/2023 at 4:07 AM, siraddam said:

Seen this one on YouTube a few times today - sounds legit! 

Just thought i would go back and quote this. This was a video of Evader's interpretation that has since been removed (seemingly voluntarily, though not discounting the possibility that this video got flagged before that removal). It seems that The General videos have been consistently voluntarily removed and/or forcefully taken down from Soundcloud, YouTube, etc. We did see similar movement prior to Perhaps being released.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, DannyVinyard said:

I am not worried about the length of the song. I am worried that Slash's replacement solos will suck. 

This is my worry too, although I guess we won’t know any different since we’ve never heard the original.

If Buckethead played on this originally I think it’s safe to say whatever he played would have been far superior to what Slash has come up with though.

Imagine if we’d never heard the original TWAT and that beautiful bucket outro solo had been replaced by 2 minutes of Slash’s noodling, that really would have been a tragedy.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cosmo said:

Just listened to the Cellphone clip for the first time in ages. I sounds a lot like the Evader version.

Because it's what the Evader version is based off 😂

But the cell phone clip is far from clear, so we're still pretty clueless as to what it actually sounds like, if we're being totally realistic

3 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

Just thought I'd dump this here, since there has been a ton of arguments that it can't be over 5 minutes or it won't be 10 minutes, etc...it can be what they want BUT if you want good quality, it wiill most likely suffer....

If The General ends up being a longer song, then with all that room, maybe they'll hide My World 2  a secret track on the Perhaps side!  :awesomeface:

5 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

This is my worry too, although I guess we won’t know any different since we’ve never heard the original.

If Buckethead played on this originally I think it’s safe to say whatever he played would have been far superior to what Slash has come up with though.

Imagine if we’d never heard the original TWAT and that beautiful bucket outro solo had been replaced by 2 minutes of Slash’s noodling, that really would have been a tragedy.

This is getting really stupid now XD

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Because it's what the Evader version is based off 😂

But the cell phone clip is far from clear, so we're still pretty clueless as to what it actually sounds like, if we're being totally realistic

Yes, I know. I'm just aligning my expectations with reality - it's probably gonna sound a bit like the Evader version, in some level.

24 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

NOVEMBER RAIN 7" (Only.Springsteen, Deep Purple and LedZep have put out similar lengths on 7" before)

Just thought I'd dump this here, since there has been a ton of arguments that it can't be over 5 minutes or it won't be 10 minutes, etc...it can be what they want BUT if you want good quality, it wiill most likely suffer....

Also gives you folk withput record players an idea of the SQ you'll be hearing sans a download....

I admit my ears aren't the best at this but are those videos supposed to sound bad?

16 minutes ago, Dummy said:

NEW GREEN DAY ALBUM COMING

EXCITING!!!!!

Fuck the general

The first song one my 1 listen this morning did very little for me, but I've had that feeling with them since anything after 21st Century Breakdown

Edited by Gunner55

52 minutes ago, colonizedmind said:

NOVEMBER RAIN 7" (Only.Springsteen, Deep Purple and LedZep have put out similar lengths on 7" before)

There are definitely were a lot of long songs on 45s back in the day. Even in the 60s with something like American Pie they've been around. From being a big Bruce fan, I think there was a very particular process in both the mastering and pressing of the Fire 7" with the 10+ minute Incident on 57th Street. It's pretty widely regarded as a poor quality recording of one of the fanbase's most popular tracks. Likely true for all the Free Birds and November Rains laid to wax. The thing is, while records are in style and widely available now, there isn't much effort put into making them the definitive source of the material. The General is likely exported off a computer and compressed to fit whatever commercial available records they chose to press. Probably no extra measures were made to fit a longer than average song on that 7". Not that it can't be grand or epic in under 6 minutes. 

2 hours ago, BucketEgg said:

This Beach Boys song is only around 4 minutes long but still feels like a bit of a journey. If The General is only this long but uses its time well, then maybe it won't be so bad. (But I hope that it would be longer)

Right, you didn’t just post one of the best songs ever written. 
if guns n rose can somehow write a song as good as that I’d be checking for flying pigs as soon as I hear it.