Axl & Dr. Dre

I know a lot of us have seen that list of Axl emails from years ago, and although a lot Of it looked interesting, for me I was always curious about the title “Axl angry email about Dr. Dre,” or something similar. Anyone ever heard anything about or have any perspective or ideas about what that was related to?

• GNFNR 1

I think that those email titles/descriptions, even if they were corresponding to real emails, were made deliberately sensational so that someone could use them as bait for trading.

For example, it could be just Axl making a comment on Dr. Dre about something that was in the news at that time.

20 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think that those email titles/descriptions, even if they were corresponding to real emails, were made deliberately sensational so that someone could use them as bait for trading.

For example, it could be just Axl making a comment on Dr. Dre about something that was in the news at that time.

I kind of assumed it may have been about Dre taking his time and getting favoritism from Jimmy Iovine, and Axl never receiving the same treatment? Maybe? 

• Like 2
  • PERHAPS 1

Just now, JAxlMorrison said:

I kind of assumed it may have been about Dre taking his time and getting favoritism from Jimmy Iovine, and Axl never receiving the same treatment? Maybe? 

Maybe. I'm not too familiar with the story of Dr. Dre (I also don't remember the date of the supposed email).

10 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

Tend to agree with this theory. Dr. Dre's Detox album was considered the hip hop version of Chinese Democracy, except that it was never released and was eventually scrapped altogether. I can see Axl being upset that Jimmy Iovine cut off his funding and gave him the cold shoulder, but continued to support Dr. Dre financially and otherwise under similar circumstances 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey Whipwreck said:

Tend to agree with this theory. Dr. Dre's Detox album was considered the hip hop version of Chinese Democracy, except that it was never released and was eventually scrapped altogether. I can see Axl being upset that Jimmy Iovine cut off his funding and gave him the cold shoulder, but continued to support Dr. Dre financially and otherwise under similar circumstances 

Dr dres detox work didnt cost anywhere near Axls 13+ million (most expensive album ever). I am with Jimmy on this one. When does the buck stop on Axls spending.

Dre ended up shelving detox and he released the album Compton instead. But he also produced many tracks for labelmates and promoted artists. He brought talent (eminem 50 cent kendrick lamar and others) aboard interscope and his own aftermath label.

Edited by vloors
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, vloors said:

Dr dres detox work didnt cost anywhere near Axls 13+ million (most expensive album ever). I am with Jimmy on this one. When does the buck stop on Axls spending.

Dre ended up shelving detox and he released the album Compton instead. But he also produced many tracks for labelmates and promoted artists. He brought talent (eminem 50 cent kendrick lamar and others) aboard interscope and his own aftermath label.

I never said Axl was in the right, I said I can see him perceiving this as a slight and being upset 

Not sure what Detox cost, never seen it listed anywhere, but CD is nowhere near the most expensive album ever. Michael Jackson's Invincible cost over $30 million 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, vloors said:

Good lord, Chinese Democracy album cost over 13 Million to produce? 😱😳🧐😵‍💫 WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? 🧐😵‍💫😳😱

Here's the list for anyone who hasn't seen it. 

001. Sheng Tang Music Festival PDF

002. DJ Ashba's contract

003. June 2010 Axl email dissolving GNR

004. December 2009 Axl email dissolving GNR

005. Doc's 2011 plan powerpoint

006. Better_Gone.mp3

007. January 2010 Caram Castanzo email about bonus tracks

008. November 2010 Axl email bitching about Bumblefoot

009. January 2011 email about cutting everyone's pay (part 1)

010. January 2011 email about cutting everyone's pay (part 2)

011. Chinese Democracy band member payments and recoupment

012. Chinese Democracy band producer charts

013. January 2010 Axl email complaining about Dr. Dre

014. October 2009 Axl email to Bumblefoot about Duff rejoining

015. December 2009 Brain email submitting Better remix to Fernando

016. Better video treatment v1

017. Chinese Democracy World Tour Income & Expenses

018. 2009 Band Rehearsal Expenses

019. Tour Income & Expense Summary Production rehearsals (11/09)

020. Chinese Democracy video treatmeant

021. 2010 Europe Leg #2 Budget Summary

022. Geffen Records contract for Second Album (January 2007)

023. Street of Dreams video treatment

024. January 2009 email discussing possible replacements for Robin

025. January 2010 email discussing new versions of Knockin' on Heaven's Door

026. January 2011 Caram Castanzo email complaining about back pay

027. July 2010 email outlining 2011 tour plans, including co-headliners

028. Better video treatment v2

029. June 2010 Caram Castanzo email about bonus tracks & second album

030. Robin Finck Resignation Letter (part 1)

031. Robin Finck Resignation Letter (part 2)

032. Robin Finck Resignation Letter (part 3)

033. July 2008 Axl letter to Robin about leaks

034. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 1)

035. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 2)

036. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 3)

037. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 4)

038. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 5)

039. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 6)

040. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 7)

041. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 8)

042. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 9)

043. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 10)

044. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 11)

045. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 12)

046. September 2008 Axl email about Slash, reunion, old members, etc. (part 13)

047. January 2008 Shanghai and Beijing festival offers

048. January 2008 Axl email about how many albums to release (part 1)

049. January 2008 Axl email about how many albums to release (part 2)

050. February 2007 lawsuit threat from fan hit with mic (part 1)

051. February 2007 lawsuit threat from fan hit with mic (part 2)

052. December 2006 letter threatening to sue Zakk Wylde

053. December 2005 Slash email threatening photographer

054. April 2006 Axl Rose tour rider

055. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 1)

056. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 2)

057. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 3)

058. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 4)

059. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 5)

060. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 6)

061. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 7)

062. November 2009 Axl Rose letter to Irving Azoff about Beta, reunion, etc (part 8)

063. June 2008 Beta letter about who deserves credit for Sweet Child O' Mine (part 1)

064. June 2008 Beta letter about who deserves credit for Sweet Child O' Mine (part 2)

065. June 2008 Brain email about which producers deserve credit

066. June 2008 Axl email complaining about Tommy siding with Roy over Caram

067. June 2008 Dizzy email about which producers deserve credit (part 1)

068. June 2008 Dizzy email about which producers deserve credit (part 2)

069. June 2008 Dizzy email about which producers deserve credit (part 3)

070. January 2008 Fernando email listing Axl enemies / Slash allies

071. January 2008 Sebastian Bach email about entering rehab

072. February 2010 Axl email making NY plans

073. October 2004 Beta email to Merck about how to trick Axl, Slash lawsuit, etc (part 1)

074. October 2004 Beta email to Merck about how to trick Axl, Slash lawsuit, etc (part 2)

075. October 2009 Axl email about Duff wanting back in and people wanting Tommy out (part 1)

076. October 2009 Axl email about Duff wanting back in and people wanting Tommy out (part 2)

077. October 2009 Axl email about Duff wanting back in and people wanting Tommy out (part 3)

078. October 2009 Beta/Dizzy conversation about everyone wanting Tommy out

079. December 2008 Axl letter about why he's always late (part 1)

080. December 2008 Axl letter about why he's always late (part 2)

081. December 2008 Axl letter about why he's always late (part 3)

082. February 2007 Unpaid studio and producer invoices

083. March 2009 email outlining the tour dates with Van Halen

084. March 2006 Band and crew rehearsal payroll

085. August 2009 Dizzy email begging for update from Beta

086. February 2010 Financial guarantees for each European festival in May (part 1)

087. February 2010 Financial guarantees for each European festival in May (part 2)

088. May 2010 unpublished Axl tweet giving his side of the story re: Azoff (part 1)

089. May 2010 unpublished Axl tweet giving his side of the story re: Azoff (part 2)

090. May 2010 unpublished Axl tweet giving his side of the story re: Azoff (part 3)

091. April 2010 Income and Expense summaries Asia/Canada/South America (part 1)

092. April 2010 Income and Expense summaries Asia/Canada/South America (part 2)

093. April 2010 Income and Expense summaries Asia/Canada/South America (part 3)

094. April 2010 DJ Ashba email to Doc about Axl wanting to fire DJ

095. April 2010 Axl email dissolving GNR and insisting DJ Ashba be sued

096. January 2008 Axl letter about his feelings on Velvet Revolver (part 1)

097. January 2008 Axl letter about his feelings on Velvet Revolver (part 2)

098. January 2008 Axl letter detailing his uncensored thoughts on Slash

099. January 2008 Axl email about which songs should be on second album

100. "The Honor of Thieves 2" - Axl book about the break-up of GNR

101. December 2010 Doc email about Tommy refusing to play in Abu Dhabi

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

18 hours ago, vloors said:

Well that and he helped Jimmy become a billionaire with Beats. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Karice said:

Good lord, Chinese Democracy album cost over 13 Million to produce? 😱😳🧐😵‍💫 WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK? 🧐😵‍💫😳😱

I’ve never understood why it was so expensive. I feel like you’d have to try hard to spend that much on making a rock album. I guess that figure might include the cost of the 2 unreleased parts of the so called trilogy but wtf. 

17 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I’ve never understood why it was so expensive. I feel like you’d have to try hard to spend that much on making a rock album. I guess that figure might include the cost of the 2 unreleased parts of the so called trilogy but wtf. 

Because they booked lots of studio time and studio time is expensive.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

Well he had to literally pay people to sit around in expensive studios for years working on things to send him and/or for the muse to hit himself. There’s a lot of upfront costs as well when you’re the only person left with any equity on a project. Everyone else has a salary for their time. 

36 minutes ago, Sausagebrain said:

Because they booked lots of studio time and studio time is expensive

More than the money, it cost serious time and time at the top studios where other artist could be producing hits. If record labels operate as ruthlessly as they reportedly operate then Chinese Democracy could have sold 13 million copies and Axl would’ve still fell out of favor with the execs. 

Dr. Dre was still producing hits and bringing artist like Eminem to the masses while making Detox. Axl became a meme before memes were a thing. You could see why he would have beef with Dre. 

3 hours ago, Martin Riggs said:

Well he had to literally pay people to sit around in expensive studios for years working on things to send him and/or for the muse to hit himself. There’s a lot of upfront costs as well when you’re the only person left with any equity on a project. Everyone else has a salary for their time. 

I mean I know why it LITERALLY cost that much. Like aside from the earlier years where a huge majority of it was worked on, they really just paid people to sit around and tweak it for years. Poorly planned maybe but still one of my favorite sounding records. That might be half the fun of listening to that album for me. It’s an enigma that it took so long and cost so much. 

4 minutes ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

I mean I know why it LITERALLY cost that much. Like aside from the earlier years where a huge majority of it was worked on, they really just paid people to sit around and tweak it for years. Poorly planned maybe but still one of my favorite sounding records. That might be half the fun of listening to that album for me. It’s an enigma that it took so long and cost so much. 

It REALLY should have come out in like 1998 at the MOST. It's such a shame that when Chinese Democracy was released, EVERYBODY from the Original Guns N'Roses had fled Guns N'Roses and only Axl was the only original Member left.I listened to Chinese Democracy and I immediately thought,"This sounds like an Axl Rose album with random Musicians." Chinese Democracy would have most likely gotten a much better reception if Axl had released it under Axl Rose and not Guns N'Roses.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Appetitefordiscussion said:

Renting a studio and every piece of musical equipment you could possibly need for a decade adds up :lol: 

Interscope should have put the album out in 2000 when Axl thought it was ready. It still probably sells a mill off the GNR name alone.

Re: Detox. I'm sad we never got this from Dre. It sounds pretty dope.

Edited by -W.A.R-

3 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Only the headlines. We don't know if all these emails are real - maybe some of them are, maybe not.

I remember there was a text pdf file with all the emails. I had it at one time.

Edited by vloors