New Richard interview discussing new music

2 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, it's better for this to have its own thread (because it's been posted in 4-5 other threads but some people haven't even seen it yet). So thanks for starting it. :)

“We’re clearing things out — priming the pumps for things that have been around that we wanna get out and release before releasing new music,” he says.

Especially with that quote in it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Blackstar said:

But who said it was the plan all along? For all we know, the reunion was only about touring at first (with probably a vague plan in Axl's mind to release the CD leftovers at some point) and "see what happens" next.

The reunion was limited to a couple of shows. Which means that Axl would have continued NuGN'R afterwards. However, plans changed and they booked another tour (money talks).

11 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Read my lips, although you can't: there will be no such thing as "new GNR music."

If that really was the plan all along, why wait 5 years after the reunion to get rid of those songs? Why not use the momentum? They did literally nothing for 5 years in terms of new songs and now they suddenly remembered to throw out the CD stuff so they can work on new music? Give me a break.

I'm thankful for every new release, be it CD or new stuff - but I just don't see it happening.

Isn’t it pretty much accepted that the plan was to release Hard Skool and Absurd in 2020, but COVID pushed it back a year?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sosso said:

The reunion was limited to a couple of shows. Which means that Axl would have continued NuGN'R afterwards. However, plans changed and they booked another tour (money talks).

Who would have been nugnr though.

Bumble left ashba left tommy left.....

It may have been retirement for Axl but yea plans changed

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Funny how this isn't the first time it was said they don't use a set list, but we see photos of them on every tour. Maybe he meant to say they don't always follow the set list.

Yes, I'm sure that what he means - and generally what they mean when they say they don't have a setlist. There was an IEM recording from last year where you can hear Axl calling the songs, although they obviously had a setlist.

They always had a written setlist, even in the 90s, which they were using just as a loose guide.

2 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Well, not really. Based on the timeline of events but also on what Axl himself has said, he had a tour in his mind from the beginning. Of course there was the possibility that something went wrong and that's why Slash said that it was for a couple of shows. But the tour was in fact planned in early 2016, if not earlier.

Exactly , how did so much merch get produced so quickly?🤔 Think about it.....

3 hours ago, Sosso said:

I don’t think because only a couple shows were originally planned means nu gnr would’ve resumed. NuGNR was like what? Axl, Richard, Frank, Dizzy? 

Could you imagine if they played Troubadour and Coachella just to hire new replacements for Tommy and Bumble 😂 who tf would buy tickets to that 

Edited by Appetitefordiscussion
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

Read my lips, although you can't: there will be no such thing as "new GNR music."

If that really was the plan all along, why wait 5 years after the reunion to get rid of those songs? Why not use the momentum? They did literally nothing for 5 years in terms of new songs and now they suddenly remembered to throw out the CD stuff so they can work on new music? Give me a break.

I'm thankful for every new release, be it CD or new stuff - but I just don't see it happening.

Brace yourself as you're gonna get a lot of negative responses in this forum for being rational and realistic.

But I totally agree with you.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, TheGeneral said:

That's what Slash and Richard have both said.  If they were just going to rework more old songs then I'm sure they would stick to the line of "plenty of material there to work on"

I struggle to see Axl do new music myself but he does appear to be happier these days. 

I also think that Slash is probably eager to do his own stuff. 

• Like 1