THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

4 minutes ago, saint_seiya_aka_buckethead said:

i wouldnt be surprised if this is the actual version with final mix thats on the vinyl. Axls vocals are sorta buried like this with Perhaps

Clearly your full of shit lol but thing is I know your name from somewhere way back. Or at least the name your choosing to use, Cd.com maybe?  Newgnr? Lourenco's old site?

You were involved in something, or someone with that name was and I just can't place it at all.

Two songs, and they're both badass! 

The General sounds real menacing, that orchestra is sampled for short sections instead of being an Intro like we all thought. Axl's vocals are kind of mixed weirdly, it reminds of Oh My God! a bit. Richards comments about the sitar pedal are for The General as well, even though it only gets played a few times. The most perplexing part is the outro, the closing chorus sounds really strange like it's being played through a talk box or something, and the solo is definitely Slash.

Monsters uses the orchestra too! The Shacklers Revenge vocals return. The song kind of reminds me of Atlas Shrugged in sections but way darker. There is a section of vocals that sound really different to what we expect from Axl, it's aggressive and screechy but the tone is weird, like he's singing in a different voice. 

I'm glad that Duff and Slash are willing to cooperate with Axl on stuff like this, cause this really isn't what I'd expect from them musically. 

These are great, but the mix is bad, we can only hope that is better whenever it officially releases. 

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to post my thoughts.:D

• Like 2

I love both (or it, if they're two halves of one song). My favorite GN'R material since TWAT. I listened to these things all day, it's all I could do (pum intended). 

What intrigues me is... there was is this register of The General And Monster... is it one song with two halves or two songs glued into one? lol I mean, it shouldn't matter, but I'm just curious if Monster is/was Soul Monster.

We all thought Soul Monster was an evolved Me & My Elvis, but this is something else. It fits Axl's description of Soul Monster perfectly ("our most Sabbath moment" and "a bridge of pure, unadultered poison" or something like that). Also, let's not forger both The General and Soul Monster were worked on by Beltrami in the same sessions, so it makes sense if the became a single epic song. Very interesting. Hopefully we find out soon enough (and hopefully Monster is also on the vinyl and released on streaming services).

Anyway, can't stop listening to both. Very personal, heavy, dark lyrics. Definitely on the money about them being about child abuse. Alluring instrumental. Love Slash's work in these. Killer vocals. What's not to admire?

Edited by CaioAKR
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Underhardy said:

It just dawned on me that perhaps Axl wanted Monsters to be included at the last minute which may explain the sudden delay. Would explain why it was only marketed as only The General at first.

I doubt there is enough space on a 7”.

40 minutes ago, Nick85 said:

Slash’s work in Monsters is his best playing in years. I think it’ll stand out even more in the polished official version.

It's slick as fuck!

I don't know, but i get the impression they completely reworked Hard Skool? And I think it sucked, it sounded like Hollywood Rose, where it should have sounded like Better part 2. Axl is great on that track and everything else, except for the solo, is wank compared to the demo.

This sounds like a nugnr track with Slash and duff tastefully adding their input, not completely reworking the songs from the drums up (which they might have done, but it doesn't sound like that, if so, great work!).

It's how the CD stuff should be treated and they have done an amazing job on these tracks.

Edited by DingBat
  • Like 1

Hopefully after this slow drip arc is over we'll get a comprehensive CD era collection of some sort ( was typing this as the above messages popped up ).  CDII would've been a banger as the kids say, Axl had the goods!  Here's hoping we eventually hear the rest of the CD era.  I will keep my Perhaps vinyl lol.

3 minutes ago, jbhutto said:

Hopefully after this slow drip arc is over we'll get a comprehensive CD era collection of some sort ( was typing this as the above messages popped up ).  CDII would've been a banger as the kids say, Axl had the goods!  Here's hoping we eventually hear the rest of the CD era.  I will keep my Perhaps vinyl lol.

It's clear a lot of great Chi-Dem era material was left unreleased.  Did we just need to be more patient?  Did Axl need to compromise a little and release a taste to give people confidence in and patience for CDII?

Do Axl, Slash and Duff really have enough left in the tank to make an album that doesn't use Chi-Dem 2 leftovers?

Edited by Caught_in_a_Coma

8 minutes ago, D.. said:

Updated with The General lyrics let me know if I'm mistaken somewhere!

This is what I hear:

Daddy don't
I swear I won't
I'll be good from now on
And I'm awful sorry
Daddy don't
The hell I won't
I won't be good anymore
And you'll all be sorry

Can anybody tell me
Why this pain it just won't stop
Can anybody help me
This pain it just won't stop

My only regret
Is that I never took the time to forget
All those unspoken feelings
That you'll never spare
And those who understand it
Have your respect
And not your sordid meaning

Don't know what to tell you now
It's never really what they tell you now
Don't know what to tell you now
It's not really what they tell you now

The 2nd chorus is different though, it seems like 'have to show respect'?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, DownUnderScott said:

I have to wholeheartedly agree with you there. If only Axl had of released a CD2 with these songs as an album (8-10 tracks), it would have been so much better rather than dribs and drabs of mis-fired releases over a long period of time.

Exactly! They had more than enough to work with… put in a Duff-led song and maybe a cover or two and boom, album.