THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

9 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

So I’ll say again if GNR ever do go back to a “simpler” song, then I hope it’s an acoustic number like “You’re Crazy” or “Patience.” That would be dope.

I would love a "Tenderness" kind of record by GNR. But I understand that I'm maybe the only one here who likes that album. :lol:

That said, maybe the last "simple" song we're getting from Axl is Rock The Rock.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, betterman said:

You cant be serious! 

The general and Monsters are the two best GNR songs since CD and also better than at least half of CD.

While I mostly like CD I am not a fan of these distorted vocals and the guitar work is meh.

Perhaps and Hard Skool are far superior, imo.

Edited by Sonic Reducer

23 minutes ago, kiwiguns said:

You seem to think the band has control over this process. I put it to you that they don't and the process is being forced upon the band by the record label. We know for a fact, that the live era release was driven by the record label and individual band members stepped in to tidy up the mix as they weren't happy with what they had heard.. 

Perhaps interms of quality and video production has the signs of the band being fully involved in the process.

I would not be surprised if the video content recorded by the band on tour used in the Perhaps video is exclusively owned by Guns N Roses. 

UMG are on the other side of the fence as the aren't making money from the band touring... 

To me, the record label are trying to get in on the money wagon, and the band have pushed back, via controlling the product, taking there time collectively (Axl, Slash and Duff) to make sure its right. 

Wait, we’re still pretending that GNR are the only artists in the world who can’t release songs on time because of the record label?

• Like 2

Slash is definitely on The General. I would bet anything that little riff at the beginning of the song was not there on the original recording. That sounds like something that he would have added to me. 

Per some feeling the potential hidden track being spoiled. When your releases happen on schedule the chance of this happening drop dramatically. Look at CD- Even if it had come out in late 2006 the vast majority of it had not leaked in any form yet. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

I would love a "Tenderness" kind of record by GNR. But I understand that I'm maybe the only one here who likes that album. :lol:

That said, maybe the last "simple" song we're getting from Axl is Rock The Rock.

Sadly, a lot of people view simplicity as a negative thing.  And I agree on tenderness as well :lol:

A lot of CD lyrics tend to be very heavy and/or full of bitterness/resentment and I don't really relate. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pbj_jam said:

Well both statements can be true, apples and oranges at the end of the day, I could open a new can of worms and list another side project of his, yes I called fnm his side project. For the record I wasn't making a comparison between the two. 

The comment originally stems from Axl's subpar work from the CD era when compared to Illusions imo.

The CD album itself is pretty hit or miss lyric wise IMO, but actually so was Illusions (BOB, Bad Apples, Shotgun blues, GITR, etc). AFD/Lies was close to perfect but TAY is arguably a bit weaker than the rest, and OIAM gets a lot of hate, but subject matter aside, I think it's well written.  Of the new stuff, Absurd was obviously not a high point, HS was simple but effective, and the others I think have plenty of interesting lyrics, especially Monsters. TG is let down by just repeating the same things over and over even if as one part of the song, it works.  I am convinced he always always wanted to outdo his previous self, but that is a lot of pressure to put on oneself, and if your career started with AFD, good luck.  

I know you were not comparing, did not mean to imply it. Patton is great at what he does, but lyrically I prefer Axl.

44 minutes ago, jafeijo said:

That's basically the same as a GnR-branded beercoaster. 

But seriously, are you Susan Holmes? :D 

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, username said:

That's basically the same as a GnR-branded beercoaster. 

But seriously, are you Susan Holmes? :D 

I actually like tenderness album unlike lighthouse. That one is really a way too simple.

Edited by Petr

1 minute ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Ok am I tripping or is there a background voice at 1:57 in The General that says "fuck that" ?:lol:

You appear to be correct. Weird 🤣 on the vocal isolation which someone put together you can hear it. 

34 minutes ago, bangit said:

You appear to be correct. Weird 🤣 on the vocal isolation which someone put together you can hear it. 

37 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Ok am I tripping or is there a background voice at 1:57 in The General that says "fuck that" ?:lol: It doesn't sound like Axl, sounds more like a female voice

I believe that is Axl saying “Oh daddy don’t” in a higher pitch. He seems to do that during the verses as it is also present at 0:37, albeit buried in the mix.

Edited by GNFNRUK
  • Like 3

The version of ‘The General’ I have been listening to seems to have like a millisecond of other music at the start before that main foreboding riff comes in… Anyone else noticed that?

I’m wondering now if it actually has a longer intro that has been cut from the leak?

5 minutes ago, GNFNRUK said:

I believe that is Axl saying “Oh daddy don’t” in a higher pitch. He seems to do that during the verses as it is also present at 0:37, albeit buried in the mix.

WTF, you are correct the exact same vocal appears on 0:38-0:39 but I don't hear "oh daddy don't", the person just says it in under half a second, it really doesn't sound like Axl, it sounds like a soundbite taken from somewhere else like a movie or something.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

like i have been saying since i waddled out of my momma, i just wish the chorus riff was much better, and those verse lyrics. not only are they cringe bad, they repeat and i hate that. i LOVE the breakdown towards the end of the song. its my favorite part. i also love the opening riffs

2 minutes ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I don't believe how these versions could not be finished, they clearly have Slash on them, and he and Duff surely didn't record demos of 20 year old songs that somehow now leaked. This is from someone who had access to the vinyl that was rejected now due to bad sound quality, there must be dozens of people involved in the vinyl production process that had access to this.

i know its just that riff in the chorus just sounds so not slash. i agree that slash ad duff are on the tracks its just that chorus riff is like a highschool garage band riff.