THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

1 hour ago, janrichmond said:

I have removed all the off-topic chat and arguments.

Feel free to make a Beatles thread in the right section.

Feel free to insult each other but do it via PM and not on the forum.

Have a nice day :D

Thaaaaaaanks, I’d leave a like but I used them all today. 👍🏻

15 minutes ago, Rayvela said:

Slash is NOT confirmed to be in this as of yet. And no one will know for sure until 12/8 it is all speculation 

Do we need the confirmation tho? I can take it for what it is, I certainly hear Slash on parts and it don't really matter if he's all over the songs or not. I love what I hear and that counts. If he's all over fine good happy they gave him full freedom to record guitar parts as he sees fit, if not also fine and respect towards bucket finck or Ron for keeping their work on the songs.

2 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Once you get over the shock of the verse lyrics and the mix, The General is a real banger. I rank it above Perhaps, now

general is trash except for the intro and the breakdown before the last chorus.  some people think monsters is a reworked state of grace. to me, the more i think about it, monsters is what we would get if we fused the general and state of grace. 

perhaps is FARRRRRRR better to listen to. the pre-chorus in perhaps is fantastic. 

• Like 1

Just now, Miden34 said:

general is trash except for the intro and the breakdown before the last chorus.  some people think monsters is a reworked state of grace. to me, the more i think about it, monsters is what we would get if we fused the general and state of grace. 

Idk man, I really dig The General’s chorus, the bass throughout it, the orchestra in the middle, there’s a lot I like. It’s definitely a jarring first listen or so, though

• Like 1

Just now, ZoSoRose said:

Idk man, I really dig The General’s chorus, the bass throughout it, the orchestra in the middle, there’s a lot I like. It’s definitely a jarring first listen or so, though

bro ay first? xD im 100 times in and im really trying but i just skip to the breakdown at the end then listen to monsters

We can get a new beatles song in 2023 but we can barley get new guns? xD glad paul and ringo are still around but imagine if they all were. 

i kinda like the lennon demo of it too. 

1 minute ago, Rodela said:

I don't need to be a chef to tell if a dish sucks, do I?

Give me the time and money Axl had, and I will come up with 20+ good to great songs, sure.

Come on, I like some aspects of your work with Tool!

Edited by Eric Cantona
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

Once you get over the shock of the verse lyrics and the mix, The General is a real banger. I rank it above Perhaps, now

Nice to read. Especially as you didn't seem to like the song at first listen... 😊👍 As you wrote, it's probably a grower.. 

• Like 1

I know it's been discussed but it is still lost on me why it would still be called "The General" if the title originally comes from what Brain was eating at the time.

Would love to know why Axl decided to keep that "placeholder" title for a song with seemingly very deep subject matter.

I know it's been discussed but it is still lost on me why it would still be called "The General" if the title originally comes from what Brain was eating at the time.

Would love to know why Axl decided to keep that "placeholder" title for a song with seemingly very deep subject matter.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

The General could also be interpreted as the abuser in the song, one would be inclined to guess...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Barlog said:

Although a couple of days have passed, it's still surreal finally listening to The General. 

It's like a part of me wants to un-leak it just to get back that "holy grail" status once again...

I guess eventually people will decide what the next Holy Grail is. But I really don't know what, because for so long it was The General. It was once the HOB show, maybe Seven next.

13 minutes ago, uzi your illusion said:

My interpretation is that "The General" could be a reference to the father in the narrative, like perhaps he ran the household more like a military general instead of like a father, hence the abusive nature of it all

It would be interesting to hear how Axl went about writing the song, he very well could have seen the placeholder title and got the entire idea for the song's theme on that - in which case the song's title still fitting (or at least is no longer about Brain eating a popular chicken dish :lol:)

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Miden34 said:

perhaps is FARRRRRRR better to listen to. the pre-chorus in perhaps is fantastic. 

The whole 'reworked' argument doesn't really make sense to me, as in when you rework a song, there surely would be some idea, some riff, some part of your original attempt that makes it to the final take. I didn't dive into the technical side of these songs but as another user stated, there seems to be nothing in common between The General, Monsters & State of Grace (my favourite out of CDII btw). Different keys, tempos, scales.. So three distinct songs in my opinion.
I assume you've listened to earlier demos of Anything Goes. THAT is what reworking a song sounds like to me: loose the rap verse, change the build-up, re-write the lyrics, re-arrange the song and voilà. These changes notwithstanding, the AFD version remains very much recognizable compared to said demos.

On the other hand, what I totally agree with you on is that The General is meh at best. It totally failed to get my attention in any way.
Monsters is a good & honest effort however. You might not like the CD driven sound of it, but I bet it would've stumped you did it receive a UYI-like or any Slash solo effort treatment.

Edited by Nizaraul7
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Arnuld said:

After listening to these two tracks a bunch it’s obviously Slash on Soul Monster. But I’m not sure about the general. The more I listen to it it sounds more like Robin and then Bucket on that outro. Is anyone else thinking the same? 

The fact that people are confusing Slash with Buckethead is hilarious to me as someone who is a guitar player. It will only be about a month from now until these people who still believe it's not Slash will find out what a fucking idiot they are. I literally can't put it any more bluntly than that. I can't wait

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2