THE GENERAL - MONSTERS - Official Discussion Thread. NO LINKS OR ASKING FOR LINKS

11 minutes ago, marlon_brando said:

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed, but how does Richard manage to make the "sitar sounds" with his guitar? I remember him being interviewed and mentioning some equipment.

Don't know what Richard uses but sitar sounds on guitar can be done with a whammy / pitch shifter type of pedal, some multi effect units already have a sitar preset.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Don't know what Richard uses but sitar sounds on guitar can be done with a whammy / pitch shifter type of pedal, some multi effect units already have a sitar preset.

He uses some specific pedal for that, he showed his pedalboard on Instagram (that’s when someone asked him about it and he said he would use with another song other than PTU). 

Im not sure how to emulate that with a whammy. I’ve been trying it here, but nothing really sounded like the real deal. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, AxlSlashthebest said:

are you with me to said the general is better live that what we heard bifore

I'm defently not. I think it's hard to listen to Axl like this. Especially the verses. Slash's guitar sounds off as well. 

But if they do it a few times live and there's probably a Selects video sometime, properly mixed, than I see the potential in The General as a good live track. 

2 hours ago, Voodoochild said:

He uses some specific pedal for that, he showed his pedalboard on Instagram (that’s when someone asked him about it and he said he would use with another song other than PTU). 

Im not sure how to emulate that with a whammy. I’ve been trying it here, but nothing really sounded like the real deal. 

You don't have to have a pedal in the first place, just tune one string to a drone according to the piece/tuning you want to perform - voila. Doesn't work for everything, but that's the shortcut without any extra gear.

As for the pedal Richard uses, could it be this one or something like it? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RavishSitar--electro-harmonix-ravish-sitar-emulation-pedal

I'm not on social media but maybe if someone who is asks nicely Richard might take a second and answer that question himself. He's quite a gear head after all.

41 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I'm defently not. I think it's hard to listen to Axl like this. Especially the verses. Slash's guitar sounds off as well. 

But if they do it a few times live and there's probably a Selects video sometime, properly mixed, than I see the potential in The General as a good live track. 

I agree...those vocals were rough.

The filters on the track is what makes the song. It's the whole concept behind the song!

Imagine being in the audience to hear the old songs and this is your first time hearing that songs....a lot.of silence and WTF was that.

4 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

You don't have to have a pedal in the first place, just tune one string to a drone according to the piece/tuning you want to perform - voila. Doesn't work for everything, but that's the shortcut without any extra gear.

As for the pedal Richard uses, could it be this one or something like it? https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RavishSitar--electro-harmonix-ravish-sitar-emulation-pedal

I'm not on social media but maybe if someone who is asks nicely Richard might take a second and answer that question himself. He's quite a gear head after all.

Yes, that's the pedal. He posted a picture of his gear on social media and you could he had it on his pedalboard

• Like 1

While I do enjoy the live version because I really don't like the vocal effects on the leak, all I can think about is how we fucking missed out by Axl not performing these songs in '06-'11. I can't imagine how Axl would have sounded on this song around '10 or '11 especially. Holy shit. 

• GNFNR 1

2 hours ago, adamsapple said:

Thanks! I think this is his pedal indeed.

Not sure what you mean by "tune one string to a drone". Instead, I used a VST sound for my keyboard and played together with the regular guitar, it's sounding ok. 

I remade all the orchestra too, at least to an ok point (didn't know how to play some of the stacatto stuff). It's going pretty ok if I say so myself. :)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Voodoochild said:

Not sure what you mean by "tune one string to a drone". Instead, I used a VST sound for my keyboard and played together with the regular guitar, it's sounding ok.

Drone put simple is playing a melody or scale on one string, while playing a single bass note underneath at the same time, i.e. low E tuned down to D then playing a d scale on the D string while playing the E string every time at the same time. Not good at explaining this but maybe you catch my drift. Think double stops but more sitar-ish, simple scales work best for this.

Whatever works, be it a pedal or whatever trick or instrument, as long as you're happy with the result you've done something right. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Drone put simple is playing a melody or scale on one string, while playing a single bass note underneath at the same time, i.e. low E tuned down to D then playing a d scale on the D string while playing the E string every time at the same time. Not good at explaining this but maybe you catch my drift. Think double stops but more sitar-ish, simple scales work best for this.

Whatever works, be it a pedal or whatever trick or instrument, as long as you're happy with the result you've done something right. :)

Got what you mean. Yeah, my version sounded a bit too keyboard-ish, but for the YouTube purpose, I guess it's good enough. :) 

On 11/4/2023 at 5:03 PM, colonizedmind said:

Anyone else see the rumours about folk thinking Axl was referring to recording General final vocal this year and that's why the vocal is closer to now and buried in distortion.....

Sounds more like his clean 2000-2002 voice to me. The 2023 performance had more rasp than the studio recording.

15 hours ago, El Guapo said:

The general doesn't sound finished to me, especially the vocals.

Monsters sounds final, imo.

The live performance had the same wordless outro vocalizations, so I wouldn't count on it.

On 11/4/2023 at 5:38 AM, colonizedmind said:

There's no point in filling an already dark and depressing world with negativity...your a big fan and your enthusiasm is infectious...keep the videos up and whoaaaa dude! It's 2023 and I think we just got The General live? Shut up!  Atlas / Monsters next? Extended EP, double Christmas dip incoming? 

Thank you! I'd be super happy to get Atlas Shrugged. I've seen a lot of people that weren't too impressed with it, but I really dig it.